UnderGround Forums

TattooGround >> Mall tattoo shops?

12/14/08 10:36 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
The Popeye
601 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Seen this on the news. Mall Tattoo shops artist get vacaions and bennifits etc.

What do you guys think about this?

www.abcnews.go.com/Business/SmallBiz/story
12/14/08 3:43 PM
Fernando
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

sounds lame but it will service the folks that like flash and tramp stamps.
12/14/08 4:08 PM
thefaint
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I remember reading about this. I think that they get paid a salary instead of the regular split with the shop owner, so they might make a little less, but they get benefits and what not.

You have to wonder about the quality of the work that you would get at a place like that, because I can't imagine any old school guys working there and I can't imagine anyone who goes through a traditional apprenticeship wanting to do it, either. I'm with Fernando. It'll be great for people who want flash and tribal.
12/14/08 10:04 PM
The Popeye
601 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I would be interested to know what the rates are like.

since the artist all get salary it would seem there would be some controls on the rates. I agree it will get many of the flash people in because they will feel "safe" did you watch the vid? One guy said he has a wife and kids and he could use the benefits, for that reason I could see the appeal.
12/15/08 4:26 AM
thefaint
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The Popeye - I would be interested to know what the rates are like.

since the artist all get salary it would seem there would be some controls on the rates. I agree it will get many of the flash people in because they will feel "safe" did you watch the vid? One guy said he has a wife and kids and he could use the benefits, for that reason I could see the appeal.

I just checked out the video and the one on their website. The one on their website was done by the Wall Street Journal and they actually had one of the guys doing tebori, which I have to admit was pretty impressive. The work that they showed in the videos looked pretty good and it didn't look like they were doing a whole lot of flash, so I may have been wrong about that.

I want to know how the pay situation works. In a normal setting, if you have two guys working in a shop and one of them is clearly better, he's obviously going to make more money. How do you compensate him for that in this setting? Is his hourly rate higher or does he just get a bonus?

I'm curious about the rates, too. I was in a shop last week getting some work done and one of the other artist's came into room complaining about having to do "another fucking butterfly." He had to do it because he's getting paid for work done, but if he was getting paid by the hour, what would stop him from telling a person something way out of their price range if he didn't want to do what they were asking for? Like you, I would think there would be some control on the prices too since there isn't really any incentive to charge more because you're always going to take home the same thing at the end of the day.

It's an interesting idea and I'm sure that he won't be the last one who tries to pull it off. I'd be interested to hear what people who work in regular street shops but aren't shop owners think about it.
12/21/08 6:27 PM
The Popeye

I wonder if they dont receive commission on top of the pay?

Many mall shops pay commission to employees this is why they are always asking "who helped you with this today" this could be where the better guys will make more because they will get more referrals.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.