UnderGround Forums

BJJGround Forum >> Won Choi - bjj black belt in judo novice division

12/21/08 5:16 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Issus
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

aha... don't see that in the Japanese version listed above. But then my Japanese ain't the best in the world
12/22/08 4:54 AM
keseki
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 12/22/08 4:56 AM
In both cases, means "frog in a well". There is no predication (verb), we are supposed to fill in the rest.

Kawazu is the old Japanese word for kaeru (= frog). The kanji is the same (?).

In case you were wondering, kawazu also appear in the familiar haiku by Bashou Matsuo ??????????????(= furuikeya, kawazutobikomu, mizunooto ="old pond, frog jumps in, sound of water"). Doesn't sound like much in English, but it's pretty awesome in Japanese.....

Anyway, Mickey was the frog who didn't see outside of his well and didn't think anyone would see him because he didn't see them.

Or he might just be like the Itaewon bargirls who would tell you that they graduated from SNU and were just there to practice their English before going to Harvard Medical School or the London School of Economics.
12/22/08 7:35 AM
Steve72
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Got it.  That seems apt.
12/23/08 1:40 AM
DJColdfusion

From Mickey's Judo Instructor:

www.lehijudo.com

To whom it may concern,

My name is Aaron Huntsman head of Lehi Judo Club in Lehi, Utah. I want to set the record straight regarding Mickey Choi. It has come to my attention that Mickey is claiming to have a black belt in Judo from our club. This is completely false.

Mickey trained with us for a few months this year (2008) but never received any rank from our club. As far as we are concerned, he is still a white belt, novice competitor in Judo. I considered him a friend, but I cannot allow him to use the reputation of our school to misrepresent others. If you have any questions or need specific information, feel free to contact me.

Regards,
Aaron Huntsman
Lehi Judo Club
12/23/08 2:00 AM
Saku12
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

better and better
12/24/08 5:12 AM
keseki

At least his TKD creds are legit.

Right?
12/24/08 3:08 PM
kuan

GOOD FROG DID WELL IN THE FRANKLY STUDIO
12/26/08 12:26 AM
keseki

http://onthemat.com/school_database.php?keyword=machado&mode=search&state=

On the Mat lists Mickey "Frog" Choi as a Rigan Machado rep. Froggy therefore must be legit. Rigan (aka Heegon)wouldn't have a fake in his association, even if he have proved in the Frankly Studio.
12/26/08 1:31 AM
Saku12

Definitely legit, its all right here

http://www.wonchoitkd.com/wonchoi.html

No way he could pose like that if he wasn't legit.
12/26/08 1:58 AM
Saku12

Edited: 12/26/08 1:58 AM
Also super legit moment
http://www.wonchoitkd.com/photos/displayimage.php?album=1&pos=29
12/26/08 9:36 AM
John Frankl
35 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Dude, he is totally legit. I know many Korean-Americans who have competed as members of the Korean national TKD team, despite the fact that it's legally impossible. I also know a lot of TKD people who pose throwing lame Muay Thai elbows to advertise Olympic TKD.

What a toolbar,

John
12/26/08 11:45 PM
DJColdfusion

Mickey was born in Korea. So Korean-American . . . I don't know.

His claim to be a MAchado Rep is fraudulent. The On The Mat.com data is fraufulent.

I have emailed On The Mat.com several times asking them to modify the information.

And one of our black belts, here in Utah, has retained a lawyer to work with us on this and to get Mickey to at least drop any claim of being associated with Machado Jiu-Jitsu Utah.
12/27/08 6:14 AM
keseki

I can see Choi Won Mickey putting in his web site the following:

Mickey Choi "is totally legit"
--John Frankly

Especially because he have proved at the Frankly Studio. Might look to some naive people that Mr. Frankly is giving Mickey a big thumbs up.
12/27/08 1:20 PM
jtwalker

to prevent this bullshit. do your homework before joining a gym. This is why the "bjj belt police" exists. Because people are getting ripped off.

Now that being said;

IF you are a foreigner in korea or if korean isn't your first language... I, in good faith, can not recommend an academy other than John Frankl's. There are other competent teachers of jiu jitsu in korea. However, not many of them can AND have the instructors that can speak english to a point where they can communicant and deliver the knowlage of jiu jitsu like John Frankl's gym. I am not saying anything negative about other gyms'. However, there is something to be said about native english speakers or extremely fluent bilingual people. It just makes training alot easier.

All that being said...this is comming from a person that does not train anymore with john frankl. Shit... i am drunk. But gotta give credit where credit is due. If you are a foreginer in seoul. Go to john frankl's gym.
12/27/08 5:06 PM
kuan

but how did frankl do in frankly's studio??
12/30/08 7:16 AM
JSho
300 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

keseki - In both cases, means "frog in a well".

Anyway, Mickey was the frog who didn't see outside of his well and didn't think anyone would see him because he didn't see them.

Sounds like the Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
1/2/09 1:09 AM
DJColdfusion

#1: I am ashamed for my part in allowing Mickey to push this fraud as far as he has. Or at least what might have appeared to be my part in it when I incorrectly assumed that Mickey would understand that what he did was wrong and ultimately drop his claim. My naivete has allowed him to defraud more and more people. And as pissed off as I am at Mickey for the insault he has thrown at the feet of Jiu-Jitsu in general and Machado Jiu-Jitsu specifically, I am equally or perhaps even more upset by the fact that I could have prevented much of the harm he has caused those people who have looked to him as their instructor.

I want to apologize to those students and apologize to you, the Jiu-Jitsu community, for not taking a hard enough stand in this matter. And I want to make it known that the soft approach has ended. We have 4 Machado black belts here in Utah and Mickey is not nor has he ever been a Jiu-Jitsu black belt or, as should be obvious, a MAchado Jiu-Jitsu black belt. We are not going to let this fraud continue any longer and are making sure we cross our legal T's and dot the judicial I's but we are acting.

#2: I also want to reach out to Mickey's defrauded students. If you are one of them, and yes I will demand proof, please contact me at geraldharris1@hotmail.com. I want to make sure you understand what Machado Jiu-Jitsu is and that we really are a family.

We all know that the rank you have worked for, and paid good money to Mickey for, won't be recognized by any legitimate organization. I want to try to find a way to make sure you aren't left out in the cold. What that means right now I don't really know. I'll work with the other Machado black belts here in Utah, and if necessary with Rigan directly, to figure it out.
1/2/09 2:47 AM
Koga

Dave Hagan promoted Mickey Choi to bjj black belt according to Choi's "manager". Is he one of the 4 Machado black belts in Utah you are referring to? There are a number of pictures on Master Won Choi's website where Hagan and Mickey are shown with Rigan.
1/2/09 1:36 PM
DJColdfusion

Edited: 01/02/09 1:40 PM
Dave is a purple belt. Mickey gave Dave his black belt and Dave gave one back to Mickey . . . according to the everything availble on the web. And no Dave is not in Utah, he's in California.

The Blackbelts in Utah are:

Jeff Kunze,
Gerald Harris,
Dave Johnson,
and Brandon Ruiz.

Any of them can be contacted through me (Gerald)at the email listed in my previous post.
1/2/09 11:20 PM
keseki

A purple belt promoted a blue belt directly to black belt and then the "black" belt promoted the purple belt directly to black belt?

I must be missing something.

Can you go directly from blue or purple to black? Can a new black belt (even if legit) promote anyone to black belt?

I think I'm definitely missing something.
1/3/09 1:02 AM
keseki

No, I don't train. Training is too hard. But if I can get a black belt without actually having to train, I wouldn't mind too much. Then I'll open a school, meet girls, and get cast in a David Mamet movie.

On second thought, forget the black belt. I want a red belt.
1/4/09 1:06 PM
DJColdfusion

Keseki, they were both purple belts
1/4/09 8:30 PM
Koga

Thanks for clearing all this up DJColdfusion. I would have simply ascribed all this to some sort of delusional mental issue but for the fact that Choi teaches martial arts for a living (to kids!) and is likely to profit from this fraud.
1/5/09 1:09 AM
keseki

Ok, they were both purple. So it's cool for purple belts to promote each other to black. But nowadays everyone has black belts. Black doesn't seem impressive enough anymore. Belts need to be red, I think. Mickey and Dave should promote each other to red. Then they'd both be red.
1/5/09 1:21 AM
Saku12

^makes sense

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.