UnderGround Forums

Food & Wine Ground >> Please tell me about Burritos?

12/16/08 9:11 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
droc
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Red Devil Shop, Official Fedor Gear

The whole mexican thing is pretty underrepresented here in France, and I've just been reading the Paul Buentello thread and would like to eat some Burritos and soon.

Can you please post some of your favorite burrito recipes, and tell me what makes a good burrito?

Thanks

DROC
12/16/08 12:18 PM
Tys
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Good beer food, but what you really want is a Quesadilla!
12/16/08 12:48 PM
crescentwrench
239 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Just about any leftoever meat becomes a burrito at my house.  Pretty much all you need is a tortilla to make one.  A good tortilla is pretty key in this.  Find one made with lard.  And you have to heat it up to prevent tearing when it's rolled.  I do about 30 seconds per side in a dry skillet just to soften it up.

There's a million incarnations but to make it "Mexican" your meat should probably be cooked with loads of onion and garlic, and be seasoned with some sort of fresh or powdered chile and cumin.  Cumin is the main spice that makes things taste "Mexican".  

I'll braise some cubed chuck roast in some boxed stock with the chopped onion and garlic and toss in dried chiles and a bay leaf or two.  I'll add the cumin about halfway through.  Then I remove the meat and shred it, then strain and reduce the cooking liquid down to toss with the meat.  Add cheese, sour cream, salsa, fresh tomatoes and onion, roll it up and enjoy!

There are some subtle dishes in Mexican cuisine I would imagine, but I haven't ever had any.  All the dishes I make are very bold so don't be afraid to season with a heavy hand.  You should have awful burps for the rest of the day after eating good Mexican food.
12/16/08 1:28 PM
droc
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Red Devil Shop, Official Fedor Gear
 Thanks dude, I'll give it a try

DROC

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.