UnderGround Forums

SoundGround >> Satch's court case

12/17/08 10:03 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
T-Man
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What do you guys think?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xNQZHuAQJ8&eurl=http://stereogum.com/archives/video/joe-satriani-accuses-coldplay-of-plagiarism_039871.html&feature=player_embedded

Coldplay blows, but I think this could be coincidence honestly...
12/18/08 10:47 AM
Iron Man
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It could be. but man, the melody is almost exact.
12/18/08 8:27 PM
Nostradumbass

That's like Dark Side of the Moon and Wizard of OZ!!

I dumped that particular Satch album- something about Love in Space or with Martians or something.

I saw that tour- oddly enough, (and I have loved Joe's playing since the mid-80s), Satch was the worst guitarist on the bill. Steve Morse and John Sykes both out-shredded him by a mile.

Anyway, I hope Coldplay are ordered to never perform or record again. That would rule.
1/10/09 1:43 PM
Racer X
47 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Looks like EMI had the video pulled.
1/10/09 11:46 PM
Iron Man
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i don't really see satch as much as a shredder but a guitar instrumentalist that write good catchy songs. i love joe he cannot compare shredwise to guys like paul gilbert, andy timmons, steve morse, yngwie, etc.

and that coldplay song is exactly the same melody as joe's song. i think satch has a case.
1/11/09 2:27 PM
Racer X
47 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Taste being what it is, I've seen all those guys live at one time or another, and both times that I saw Joe I felt like he could hold his own with the others. They all have blistering technique, so I think where they transend that is with the melodic interest and beauty. Joe ranks higher in that group when I look at them that way, live he brings new things to his tunes, embellishment that doesn't detract from the originals form. Yngwie kind of overplays his material live,  but Morse,Gilbert,Timmons, those are some excellent examples of technical players that have great melodic sensibility.
1/12/09 4:57 AM
jman
556 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I was reading a Greg Howe interview a few days ago and he mentioned that after you get your chops (which probably takes 2-5 years) the rest is up to creativity. It's like comparing paintings.

I'm not really a that big a fan of Satch. I kick myself for turning down an offer to see his Surfing with the Alien show back in high school, but oh well. He's done amazing things with his "limited" guitar skills. He's done more with his "limited" guitar skills than Rustey Cooley will ever do with his unlimited guitar skills.

The court case is pretty gay, but that's just my opinion. I guess if you can get the money, as a musician you have...especially these days.
1/12/09 5:00 AM
jman
556 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Also having your own voice is probalby the most important thing. The creative thing.

I love Guthrie Govan, and he IS probably the best electric guitar player on the planet right now, but you can't play his song and say who does this sound like? Why because he really doesn't have his own sound. Having your "own" sound (like Satch) is more priceless than all of the chops in the world.

Ok end of drunken post.
1/12/09 2:16 PM
Racer X

Drunk or not, I think you make a good point.
4/18/09 1:01 PM
Nostradumbass

Why is Joe Satriani in that new Chickenfoot band?

I can't imagine them being any good at all.
4/18/09 4:55 PM
BubbaRayGracie
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Nostradumbass - Why is Joe Satriani in that new Chickenfoot band?

I was hoping they would sound like Sammy-era VH, but it basically sounds like fairly generic late-80s/early 90s metal, like the sort of thing that would crop up on a Bill and Ted soundtrack. It's not terrible, but the whole isn't the sum of its parts, despite Sammy and Satch comparing it to Led Zep in terms of quality, not just influence.
4/20/09 4:07 AM
Ze Dano
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

BubbaRayGracie - 
Nostradumbass - Why is Joe Satriani in that new Chickenfoot band?

I was hoping they would sound like Sammy-era VH, but it basically sounds like fairly generic late-80s/early 90s metal, like the sort of thing that would crop up on a Bill and Ted soundtrack. It's not terrible, but the whole isn't the sum of its parts, despite Sammy and Satch comparing it to Led Zep in terms of quality, not just influence.

I concur...I love music by all of the guys involved..hopefully they stick with it long enough to really flesh things out...

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.