UnderGround Forums

Jen >> Regressing in BJJ?

12/18/08 11:51 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
groundfighter2000
354 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hey Bolo, I saw you respond to my post in the BJJ forums about regression. Any suggestions on how to fix this problem?
12/18/08 12:56 PM
Bolo
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 12/18/08 12:58 PM
In my opinion, no one on the forums can tell you how to fix the problem because no one here knows what you are doing. I can't tell you what to change, what to do, what not to do, etc... when I don't know what you are doing and how you are doing it. It's kind of like telling a doctor over the internet that you are sick and asking how to fix the problem.

In addition, sometime the cause of a problem is not as obvious as people think. This is not a BJJ example, but since it is related to learning, I thought I would share. I've always disliked reading, especially reading out loud. When I was in school, I was good with math, but was not as good with read comprehension. If I read something I would need to read it many times over and over to really understand it. So I sucked on standardized tests that were timed. Anyway, the more obvious suggestion that most people would give would be that I need to simply practice reading some more. That's exactly what my parents made me do.

Recently, I found out that the reason I had problems with reading comprehension and reading out loud is because I have mixed dominance with my eyes. I should be right eye dominant, but I am not. Not my parents or any teacher had ever considered the issue of mixed eye dominance. This also couldn't have been figured out without someone examining me in person.

The only thing I can say is what said on the other forum which is that a change is needed. if you continue to do what you are doing, I don't think you can expect a significant change in results.
12/21/08 4:55 PM
m.g
34 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Bolo,

That's an interesting point. I have a friend who had the same problem you did in regards to reading comprehension. He told me his problem was he kept reading the same lines over and over because he had problems visually following the text.

Did the mix dominance of your eyes cause to either reread the same lines in the text over and over or miss lines in the text or both?
12/21/08 9:19 PM
Bolo
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If I was to read out loud, I would stumble on words much more. When I don't read out out loud, I feel like I just have to read it over a few times in order to make sure I really understand what it is saying and I don't miss anything. I feel like I am seeing the words, but as if I'm not conceptualizing the meaning right away.

The interesting thing is that this mixed eyed dominance thing has no negative effect on my ability to look at and understand things like BJJ, rock climbing, etc.... The main negative effect is with reading.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.