UnderGround Forums

Health & Medical UnderGround >> high blood pressure treatment?

12/20/08 4:31 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Paul Hopkins
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I am on a clinical trial for hypertension. The trial sounded good because they do fairly extensive lab work and I had been unsuccessful getting things under control with regular exercise and diet etc.

At the start my bp was 160/100 +- with resting hr of 54

7 weeks in I am at 124/74 +- rhr 64 but I felt way better when I had high blood pressure than I do medicated.

I am on two meds. One is definitely chlorthalidone 25 mg diuretic. And the other is either a placebo or an angiotensin II receptor blocker 40 or 80 mg.

For the last 3 weeks I am very weak, have cramping in arms and legs, get dizzy even during warmups and have low energy.

The doctors are telling me everything is fine but it is easy to tell my performance is suffering every time I train.

So I am wondering if anyone on here is using a bp med that does not have negative side effects.

The idea of a diuretic makes no sense to me. I told the doctor I drink about a gallon of water a day and he was shocked saying he doesn't drink that much water in a week. A urine test showed I was only slightly dehydrated but my skin feels dry and I can tell something is not right.

Anyone use ACE inhibitors? It is what I was thinking of trying after the trial. Ideas?
12/20/08 5:29 PM
rvboy
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Just a silly question. Do you have an athletic arm? Meaning do you have a larger than normal muscular arm? They will need to account for that when they fit you for the cuff, before they can do an accurate BP assessment. A lot of times I've heard of inaccurate BP measurements because of the cuff being too tight on a larger muscular type arm.
12/20/08 6:07 PM
Paul Hopkins
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

they used a special cuff for me. my bp was high.

posted the same thing on the ug and am going to look in to sleep apnea as a root cause next week???
12/21/08 10:51 PM
rvboy

Hope it works out ok.
1/2/09 1:39 PM
sovann

"posted the same thing on the ug and am going to look in to sleep apnea as a root cause next week??? "

I was going to mention this ;)
www.healthysleep.com
www.sleepnet.com - "take a sleep test" top left hand corner
1/2/09 4:45 PM
Paul Hopkins

i have 2 mores days on the trial. then i wear an ambulatory monitor for 24 hrs and am done.

my bp is normal now but i am unable to do much. my entire body is cramped and weak. i get dizzy when i raise my head and my arms and legs are numb.

sleep tests are almost 2k and if diagnosed with osa it may be hard to get med ins in the future.

talking to dr monday about natural routes.

sux so far
1/7/09 3:09 AM
JasonE

Sounds like your body "needs" to have HBP, or something about the medication isn't working for you.

Have you been checked for nutritional imbalances? Something about your story is ringing a bell, but damned if I can recall the details. A good naturopathic doctor (ND) may be able to help you, or at least eliminate some possibilities.

Also consider acupuncture. A good acupuncturist takes a systemic approach, and that may work for you.

Hope that helps!
Jason Erickson
www.CSTMinnesota.com
1/9/09 12:53 AM
Paul Hopkins

they put me on diovan 3 days ago. now i feel better but my bp is inching back up. might take a while to kick in. or might have to try something else.
1/9/09 11:14 AM
eabeam
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Try to get a doctor that specializes or work with a lot of athletic people.

there is a difference between and athlete and someone that is one tough crap away from a Myocardial Infarction.

Call nearby college atheltic departments who their people see.
1/9/09 1:59 PM
sovann

"sleep tests are almost 2k and if diagnosed with osa it may be hard to get med ins in the future."

a sucky reality. In the meantime, you can do your best to sleep elevated or on sides or stomach if you suspect apnea.
All the best Paul!

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.