UnderGround Forums

LEOGround >> BORDER PATROL

12/21/08 8:08 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Dishpig
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hello all,

After having passed the oral board in the application process of becoming a border patrol agent I am looking for more detailed information on how to prepare myself for the BPAcademy if all else goes through / checks out.

-Any overall insights u have will be greatly appreciated in addition to more specific info on the following:
-do u know what specific Spanish textbooks/software are used? no habla espanol
-a general idea of timeframes they have people training on a given area with. It is my understanding that trainees first 55 days focus on the LE portion while the rest is Spanish ... is it that clear cut or what?
-firearms trained with / distances / rate of fire employed / accuracy required for passing score etc ... I am a firearms newbie.
-what immigration/nationality law text is used
-what criminal law / procedure text is used
-what do they give u to eat while there? Can u use basic supplements such as fish oil, glucosamine and a multi vitamin?
-what are the protocols for things like your room ... or rather is this more like military basic ("everything will be placed in its place and not a quarter inch to the left") or something a little less break-downish?
-what sort of fitness feats they have u performing on a day to day basis aside from the end graduation requirements?
-more specifically, what running regiments are employed?
-what your experience was with the police h2h type training: baton, empty hand, spray, cuffing ... etc.
-I have seen more exotic 'vehicle' type photos of the border patrol online ... aside from the hummer / suv / sand rail or atv ... what other types of things do they have u train on such as jumping out of helicopters or riding a (damned) horse?

Any and all info is appreciated fellas ... I consider this to be one hell of an opportunity and want to succeed.

Thanks!
12/23/08 9:27 AM
LeftBench
42 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I have no experience with the BP but I just want to wish you luck! You will love it I'm sure.
12/26/08 4:09 PM
John9821

Edited: 12/28/09 1:05 PM
there are a few BP guys on here.

I cant comment on the BP academy but I went through the ICE one. It was like college. Had a dorm room with heavy drinking and fucking.

Classes were from 730-400. General stuff. We didnt have as much spanish as you will so I cant comment on that.

if you have some general federal law enforcement Qs
12/28/08 10:49 PM
Dishpig

good god, if I could relive undergrad if but for a few weeks :)
1/10/09 11:40 AM
fishluv

If you cannot run 5 miles start running
if you cannot do 50 pushups start
if you are out of shape you will suffer

be prepared to study spanish every night and a few hours on the weekend

don't worry about exotic vehicles, you won't be on any of that shit for a few years.

listen to your firearm instructors they are very good at what they do and most are very cool people.They will have you shooting well in no time.

keep your mouth shut and ears open do what you are told. you will do fine.

it is very fun. some of it sucks but all in all one of the best times of my life.
1/10/09 11:42 AM
fishluv

the food was fairly good when i went but i went to the academy in south carolina that is now closed. i never went to artesia. i'm sure it is fine. you can have supplements and all that stuff.

its not as strict as the military but you need to keep your uniform looking good. POLISH Your BOOTS
1/10/09 11:43 AM
fishluv

you will get pepper sprayed

you will have extensive hand to hand /cuffing techniques/baton
1/10/09 11:45 AM
fishluv

you won't be riding horses or jumping out of helicopters

only srt and bortac borstar do that shit

horse patrol is a seperate detail all together

i was on a dirtbike unit for 2 years and it was the most fun i ever had at any job ever. it ruled
1/21/09 2:07 PM
LeftBench
42 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Disphig how is the process going
1/22/09 2:06 PM
Dishpig

they are now doing the detailed investigation phase. I am very surprised at just how detailed it is, more detailed than the one for admission to the state bar.
1/22/09 6:18 PM
cycklops
241 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm in right now. If you have any questions let me know.
1/22/09 6:22 PM
cycklops
241 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

hey fishluv, I think things are completely different now. They do something like a 50/40 split. All the FLETC stuff and the law and ops etc. gets taken care of, for everyone, in the first 50 days. If you're a native spanish speaker you test out and go to your station and start FTO. The non native speakers stay for the next 40 days doing spanish. It consists of memorizing job specific phrases, not necessarily conjugating the verbs etc.
1/22/09 6:36 PM
cycklops

dishpig,

All you have to do is go into the academy in shape. I'll tell you why. If you struggle with anything physical, running, C course, sit ups etc, it carries over into your study time. Now you've got the added pressure of not doing well in the physical portion of the academy when most of the pressure should be dealth with on the academics imo. So if you go in tip top shape that's one less thing you have to worry about. And don't go too crazy because no matter how good of shape you're in they'll wear you down. Go ahead and be number one in everything and you'll find you're singled out.

Don't worry about what texts they use etc. Everything they want you to know is there waiting for you. You can't get a jump on things because you're going to inevitably do it wrong. Just go there with an open mind and understand that you have to play the game. Lots of yes sirs and all  that. You don't have anything to do there BUT study and do well on classwork. There's no excuse in the world you shouldn't do well.
6/13/09 6:14 PM
The Patriot

Pfftt...Cycklops made it
7/29/09 10:35 AM
cycklops

The Patriot - Pfftt...Cycklops made it

Why are you on this forum? It's law enforcement only. Run along.
7/29/09 7:58 PM
ILetmyCountrydownAgain

I support law enforcement, including the Border Guard Forces of America
7/29/09 11:32 PM
cycklops

See, I don't know why you get all angry with me. I read your posts and they actually make me laugh. I don't care what you say, I'm still gonna like you dammit.
7/30/09 6:09 PM
ILetmyCountrydownAgain

cycklops -  See, I don't know why you get all angry with me. I read your posts and they actually make me laugh. I don't care what you say, I'm still gonna like you dammit.

ok I like you too in a non homosexual way

stay alert!
2/11/10 4:48 PM
Skinny Fat Man

Well did you make it, and if so where did you go?
2/12/10 8:28 AM
mjsalmon
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I went through the USBP Academy in 2003 and was on the job for 5 years. Best job ever. I moved cause I wanted to be home.

Anyway, get fit. Functional fitness- push-ups, pull-ups, running. Anything you can do with your own body weight. No one cares if you can bench press a truck and you won't be tested on that.

Study a little bit every day. There are no tricks, they give you the answers, you just have to know what to study and have a few study skills.

Stay low key and keep your mouth shut or they will ride you for 5 months for everyone else's entertainment.
2/12/10 9:30 AM
ThePatriot

"No one cares if you can bench press a truck and you won't be tested on that. "

thats bull shoot man. I'm pretty sure the border guard forces have a bench press test at that fed guard training base in Ga
2/14/10 11:54 AM
fishluv

mjsalmon - I went through the USBP Academy in 2003 and was on the job for 5 years. Best job ever. I moved cause I wanted to be home.

Anyway, get fit. Functional fitness- push-ups, pull-ups, running. Anything you can do with your own body weight. No one cares if you can bench press a truck and you won't be tested on that.

Study a little bit every day. There are no tricks, they give you the answers, you just have to know what to study and have a few study skills.

Stay low key and keep your mouth shut or they will ride you for 5 months for everyone else's entertainment.
i went in 2003 also class 530

2/14/10 12:14 PM
Skinny Fat Man

I agree it is the best and funnest job I've ever had. Only been in for a bit, but I see myself here for the long run. Where else can you be compensated this well for doing something you love.~ Really.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.