UnderGround Forums

Food & Wine Ground >> Tell me about Sake

12/21/08 4:55 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
TristanESP
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

So I just started getting into Sake. What I know is the cold/chilled sake seems to be smoother than the warm.

Do you guys have any recommendations?
12/22/08 8:42 AM
crescentwrench
240 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Cold booze always goes down easier than the same warm booze in my experience.  That's why all my liquor goes into the freezer.  
12/22/08 7:05 PM
d0mm3r
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Heating sake is just to mask poor quality sake.

Sake grades:

Ginjo - good
Dai-ginjo - better
junmai dai-ginjo - best

the naming is related to how small the rice is polished before its used to make the sake. If I had my book handy I could write more. The best sake is served slightly below room temperature. Also, nigori sake (the unfiltered white sake) is always served cold.

Ozeki Black and Gold is a good value sake, and Sho Chiku Bai's nigori is passable. Sake is not that easy to come by where I live, or I'd have more recommmendations. Actually, Momokawa just came out with a cask-strength sake called 'Joy' that is really good, and inexpensive. Otherwise, I dont really like any Momokawa sakes (they are brewed in Napa and are pushed relatively heavily here in central Cali).

Just keep trying different kinds and pay attention to what you like.
12/22/08 11:25 PM
TristanESP
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thanks!

Are those Sake grades on the labels if I were to buy it by the bottle? Also, you mention Ozeki Black and gold, are those brands or types?
12/23/08 4:53 PM
d0mm3r
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sorry, Ozeki is a brand, Black and Gold is a brew they offer.

The grades are on the label, but not always in English! If you shop at places like Beverages and More, they will say on their little descriptive tag. Good luck!
12/24/08 9:54 PM
B Sharps
149 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I love Nigori sakes.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.