UnderGround Forums

Jen >> escape dvd's

12/22/08 10:34 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
ottumwa
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I was reading on your site that your pin escape and mount escape course material is entirely different than the material on the dvd's. Do you still recommend the pin,mount, back escape dvd's or will you be updating these to reflect your current course curriculum. Thanks
12/23/08 4:00 AM
Bolo

I don't have any plans to put my course material on DVD. My course material represents a different approach to those topics, however, that approach is not something that everyone may be looking for. For some the material on my DVD's may be more suitable for their goals while for others the course material may be more suitable.

The question you ask was also asked by someone else before and here was my response:

As far as the answer to your question in regards to worth, it doesn't just have to do with my DVD's, but also the information that any other instructor presents that is different than what I teach now.

The path in which my system has evolved was something that I felt was most appropriate for me and my own students. Different people may take different paths and no path is of more value or more validity as long it takes you were you want to go. What I teach now has taken and is taking me where I want to go. However, it is not the direction that every single BJJ practitioner may want to go. No one can argue with me if I say that I feel this path is best for me. No one knows what is best for me more than me. Similarly, if someone feels a different path is best for them because it has worked for them, I'm not going to tell them otherwise.

Though my game has changed from what I teach in my videos, the info on the videos may be perfect for the stage that someone else may be in with their BJJ journey. The techniques presented on the videos are definitely valid or else I wouldn't have put in on them. There have been many people to have purchased my DVD's and have seen positive gains in their game as a result of implementing the information presented. As long as it produces a positive change in their game, that's all that matters. It doesn't matter what anyone else says, including myself, because no validation is stronger than an individual's personal experience.

In addition, I expect that every BJJ practitioners game will evolve as they continue with the art. So if a person gets my videos or any other instructors videos and utilizes the information on them, I guarantee that practitioners game will evolve beyond that 10 years from now. We shouldn't view instructional books and videos as the key to give you all the right answers, but rather a guide that points you in a general direction. Many people get my videos because they are looking for a little direction when they feel they have no direction. My videos can point them in a direction, but because of their personal experiences, the direction and path they end up walking may very likely be different from mine.
3/1/09 9:23 PM
BeerMuscles

You have to release a DVD series Mr Jen. Some of us are just unable to reach the West coast for one of your seminars, especially during these tough economic times, and I'm the type of person that like to go back and study the details over and over. I know you have no plans of releasing a series, but I sincerely hope you change your mind.
3/2/09 10:13 PM
groundfighter2000
424 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

^ I think many agree with you^
3/3/09 12:19 AM
Bolo

I understand where your coming from, but also keep in mind that 70% of the attendees of my recent pin escape course here at my place were from other states and another country.

BJJ practitioners nowadays are extremely lucky with the amount of information out there from videos, books, and the internet. In fact, there is an amazing amount of free info out there. As much as I understand your situation, I am of the mentality that if someone wants something bad enough, they will find a way to get it as it is simply a matter of priorities. My mentality has been shaped from training BJJ back in 1991 when there were no books, instructional videos, info on the internet, and having to drive 2 hours one way just to get to a group class that was taught by a black belt.
3/3/09 2:03 AM
laqueus

If one of the key things Michael feels is actually experiencing the material, I don't see what huge benefit could be derived from putting it on DVD, compared to anything else that's available. It's really the difference between personal instruction and video instruction. The latter will get you part of the way, but isn't as good as the former (assuming good quality on the part of the instructors).
3/3/09 11:22 AM
Bolo

That is true. The attendees ranged from blue to brown belt from numerous different instructors. This method of escaping and the movements involved were completely new to all of them. As a result, even though they would see and hear my instruction, they all needed to feel me do it on them and also I had to feel them do it on me to truly understand how to do it properly. In addition, I had to constantly correct the alignment of so many people's bodies when doing the techniques as many people did not have a sense of what being aligned actually was.
3/4/09 2:12 AM
dany_my

Was there a person by the name of Adam Kayoom in attendance at your seminar?
3/4/09 12:11 PM
Bolo

If you are referring to the seminar I did here in northern CA recently, no, there wasn't someone by that name.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.