UnderGround Forums

Hunting & Fishing Ground >> Recommend a Bow for newbie

12/25/08 8:02 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Maloverde
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Want to explore bow hunting.  I've seen some bows on Gander Mountain site that look promising.  Any insight from the bow hunters here?

12/25/08 12:46 PM
MakeItRain
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What are you looking for?
Speed?
Accuracy?
Quiet?
Smooth Drawing?

You must give me options here.
Most of the bows at Gander Mountain are mass produced pieces of shit.
12/25/08 12:46 PM
MakeItRain

and how much do you want to spend?
12/25/08 9:27 PM
Maloverde
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Not so much for speed as I hear you should have a pretty solid base of archery skills, which I don't.

I hunt firearm from a tree stand or ground blind generally, so something that will allow mobility in confined spaces.  Here in VA it's pretty wooded and I'm hunting with a 30/30 or a shotgun when hunting on Quantico.  This Saturday - next Saturday. :) 

I think accuracy and ease of maintenance should be my priority.  I'm looking to be totally outfitted for $1000 or less.

I wasn't looking at the Gander Mountain brand for bows, I was looking at the Diamond Rock, Parker Wild Fire or Trail Blazer and the Bear Thunder Bolt.  All in the $400 - $600 range.  I figured another 300-400 for sight, arrows, release and case.  Whatever else I may need for target practice.

Thanks for chiming in and for any future insight...
12/26/08 5:52 PM
Robert Wynne
87 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I have a BEAR. works great; i'd reccomend them
12/29/08 1:56 PM
MakeItRain

Diamond is made by Bowtech. Which is a good bow.
I'd stay away from Parker. Lots of timing issues with the cam.

I would look at the new Diamond Bow called "The Iceman" . Basically it is a Bowtech Admiral with the Diamond price tag. You can get fully outfitted for less than a grand.

I would also take a look at the New Hoyt Alphamax. They are split limb with the center riser. Lighter than the Bowtech/Diamond. Shoots a lil faster, but more price.

I would see about buying an 08' model bow. You can get a good discount since a lot of the 09's are already out.

Do you know your draw length, and how much draw weight you want to pull?
12/29/08 9:35 PM
DonkeyKick215
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

2 yrs ago I found a bear #45 at a moving sale for a song. I hAVENT HARVESTED ANY GAME BUT MY SHOT IS GETTING BETTER
2/17/09 8:06 PM
mfah

i just bought a 04 Hoyt UltraTec was $300 ag a local archery shop LOVE IT

1st time bow user also and Im enjoying it

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.