UnderGround Forums

Food & Wine Ground >> anyone have taco casserole recipes?

12/25/08 11:17 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
shootfightermike
700 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

my mom used to make one

it had mexican rice, ground beef and crushed doritos etc.

anyone have one similar?
12/27/08 9:20 PM
shootfightermike
700 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ttt
12/29/08 1:04 AM
Mit
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ttt in case anyone has an answer cause this I gotta make.
12/29/08 10:21 AM
crescentwrench
240 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sounds like you have it.  Is it the kind where you put crushed Doritos in the bottom and pile on a wet mix of the beef and rice?  Sounds like all you need now is some cheese to mix in and top and you're there.  Here's a recipe from cooks.com that might be a good springboard, I'd say make it as close to the way you remember and then modify from there next time.

1 lb. ground beef
1/2 c. water
1 sm. can Rotel tomatoes with green peppers
1 pkg. taco seasoning mix
1 sm. pkg. Mahatma yellow rice
1 (16 oz.) pkg. Velveeta cheese
1 lg. pkg. cheese flavored nacho chips

Brown ground beef and drain. Add taco mix and water. Simmer for 10 minutes. Set aside. Cook rice according to package, cut up cheese and add Rotel tomatoes. Microwave on high until cheese is melted. Place 1/2 nacho chips in bottom of large glass casserole dish. Mix beef mixture and cheese mixture and pour over nacho chips and place on top of casserole. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.

I'll add another different kind in case anyone wants.  It's the chile chicken (King Ranch Chicken etc) that I grew up on.  My mom made this all the time, in fact this was our post-Christmas lazy meal this year just for nostalgia.

1 medium onion, diced
1/2 stick butter
1 can Rotel
1 lb Velveeta cheese
1 bag Fritos
1 chicken, cooked and shredded (I use about 4 boneless skinless breasts for convenience, or grab a rotissere bird)

Melt butter in large skillet and sweat the onion until pieces are translucent.  Add the Rotel and Velveeta to melt.  At this point I will add raw chopped chicken breast pieces to just poach along with the melting goo.  If you have pre-cooked and shredded your chicken then wait until it's melted to mix in right before putting in the casserole dish.  Anyway, while your mixture is melting, spray down a large deep casserole dish and add a layer of Fritos to the bottom, up about an inch or so.  When the mix is melted and the chicken is cooked (if you cooked it in there) add the rest of the Fritos to the skillet.  Toss together and pour into casserole dish.  Bang the dish around a little to let out any trapped air, cover and cook at like 350 for half an hour.  Then remove the cover and turn the oven to broil until the top gets brown.  Then eat with more Fritos and a shitty salad of wet iceberg lettuce and a flavorless tomato with about a cup of ranch dressing on it.  

12/29/08 11:38 PM
shootfightermike

thats ittt!!!!!!
1/1/09 12:20 PM
Mullet @ Heart
43 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Different, but similar same genre: Blackeyed Pea Casserole. One of my favorite dishes.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.