UnderGround Forums

BookGround >> Best Fantasy Books

12/26/08 11:43 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Phundamental
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I just finished "Song of Ice & Fire" Series as far as I can go till George get's off his ass and finishes the next book. I need a recommendation for another book to read.

No Harry Potter
No Tolkien

Now, I want something along the same lines as George's series but with a little more magic and shit involved in it, I was considering starting some of the Drizzt Do'Urdenn stories, I read some of them but it was a long time ago.

Recommend me something to read bitches. oh yea, please
12/30/08 2:53 AM
El Maquina
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Martin is taking his sweet time, that's for sure. I'm ready for some more Tyrion! I'd recommend something, but nothing comes close to this series.
1/5/09 6:34 AM
LordSeano
183 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Just finished reading all the 'Watch' series (Night, Day, Twilight, Last) I enjoyed the universe it created but they read kind of clunky, which I imagine is more to do with the translation than the author's style though.
1/7/09 3:23 AM
sourcheese
175 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

some terry brooks stuff is cool.
1/8/09 10:21 PM
Gorilla Pimp

Earthsea series by Ursula K. Le Guin. Little known books, but well written.
1/27/09 10:30 PM
WeeWillyWinky

The Elric Saga is good but very simplistic. It is not exactly deep. If you like straight forward shit like Dean Koontz, you'll like it.
1/29/09 11:44 AM
Lymond
46 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

We had a very long fantasy thread going already. Search, imo.
2/6/09 2:38 PM
Fightin_Chance
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I enjoyed the Black Company books by Glen Cooke.  Also Joel Rosenberg's Gaurdian of the Flame books
2/7/09 5:56 AM
El Maquina

I'm in the 2nd book of the Mazalan books right now. Having trouble getting through it.
2/8/09 3:08 PM
VKX
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

David Eddings' Belgariad is a classic and I loved reading it when I was in middle school...his later works went downhill, however, which you will notice if you read through all of them.

I second the recommendation for The Elric Saga books by Michael Moorcock. I actually found most of the books in his Eternal Champion cycle series to be pretty good: the first Corum trilogy was great, but I wasn't too crazy about the second.

Not a big Robert Jordan fan (did he ever finish the Wheel of Time), but I met a few people who swore by his stuff. hope that helps.
2/14/09 2:25 PM
Seul
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Go find a copy of "the great book of Amber" by Zelazny; it's a classic in the genre. It all 10 of the novels the guy wrote in the series in one volume, the first 5 of which are some of the best stuff I've read.

I'd also highly recommend Robin Hobb's stuff (the farseer trilogy is the first 3 of her books, I think).
2/14/09 7:55 PM
BaldTony
220 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"did he ever finish the Wheel of Time"

No. He died before writing the last book. But he wrote all sorts of notes so someone else could finish it.
2/14/09 8:18 PM
Fightin_Chance
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Seul - Go find a copy of "the great book of Amber" by Zelazny; it's a classic in the genre. It all 10 of the novels the guy wrote in the series in one volume, the first 5 of which are some of the best stuff I've read.

I'd also highly recommend Robin Hobb's stuff (the farseer trilogy is the first 3 of her books, I think).

Amber is awesome...i think i only read the first 3..
2/15/09 4:05 PM
Seul
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It is, I think it's book 3.
3/13/09 1:39 PM
Lymond
46 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The Name of the Wind is fantastic. One of the best fantasy novels of recent memory. However, Rothfuss is writing as slowly as Martin. I would recommend waiting a bit to get into it unless you want to share my extreme frustration at the wait for the next book.
3/13/09 4:23 PM
MuaySteve
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm re-reading the Memory, Sorrow and Thorn Trilogy by Tad Williams right now. It has held up well over time IMO. A lot of the other stuff I read in high school (Eddings, Feist) seems pretty weak in comparison now.

I would aslo recommend the Death Gate Cycle by Weis and Hickman.
3/14/09 12:14 AM
Fightin_Chance

MuaySteve - I'm re-reading the Memory, Sorrow and Thorn Trilogy by Tad Williams right now. It has held up well over time IMO. A lot of the other stuff I read in high school (Eddings, Feist) seems pretty weak in comparison now.

I would aslo recommend the Death Gate Cycle by Weis and Hickman.

I have to get those Tad Williams books again.  Read them about ten years ago and I'm due to reread them.

Ever read the Dragon Prince trilogy by Melanie Rawn?

3/14/09 1:20 PM
Lymond

I read those. Loved the first one but nothing else Rawn has done comes even close to it. Also got quite alot of shit from friends that saw the stupid romance cover to that first one.
3/14/09 3:56 PM
MuaySteve
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"Ever read the Dragon Prince trilogy by Melanie Rawn?"

I haven't, but I'll add it my list.

"Can anyone recommend another book or series like ASOIF?"

I can't. ASOIF is well above everything else I have read in Fantasy in terms of depth, story, characters, everything.

It is the holy grail of fantasy IMHO. (although the 4th book felt like he was starting to lose where the story was going much like Jordan's Wheel of Time series.)
3/15/09 9:54 AM
Lymond

turducken - Are any of these books actually not gay? I loved ASOIF books because they sort of reminded me of a cross between LOTR and Braveheart...there wasn't a whole lot of completely ridiculous magic/wizards/Harry Potter/"lightning bolt, lightning bolt!" shit. Can anyone recommend another book or series like ASOIF?

Malazan is the best epic fantasy, Erikson definitely doesn't write Harry Potter juvenile type stories.

Brust's Vlad Taltos books are pure fun fantasy but with a more adult theme. The rest of his Dragaera books are good too but not the same level.

Jim Butcher's two series are both awesome, imo. Dresden files about a wizard in Chicago and Codex Alera which is more typical fantasy. Alera you might not like as much because he explores all the typical fantasy elements but Dresden is more grown up.

Anyway, the answer to your question is definitely Erikson's Malazan series. I'm not even anxious for Martin to finish anymore as I greatly prefer Erikson in every way.
3/17/09 3:13 AM
marabmirsan

brandon sanderson
mistborn and well of ascension,
cross between fantasy, medieval, magic
not like LOTR, i am halfway thru well of ascension and a 3rd book is soon to follow

i read the dark elf stories ( icewind dale is the best of the series) stopped reading pirate king, getting stale, will finish later.

david gemmel is very good try "legend" and think of sean connery as the lead in over the hill axman come to final fight like a medieval the alamo,
and morningstar puts a cool spin on robin hood once you try like like this i can bet you year of rrading time will be filled then read, more later. getting late
3/29/09 11:16 PM
garfner
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Martin ruined everything else for me. That guy is awsome.

Have you read his Hedge Knight stuff. Two short stories that take place 80 years before Game of Thrones.

Gardens of the Moon was great. One of my all time favorites. But I was dissapointed in the next two and so quit reading.

Sword in the Storm And midnight falcon by Gemmel are really good.
3/30/09 5:41 PM
El Maquina

totally agree garfner, think I'm gonna stop with the mazalan series after Deadhouse Gates
3/30/09 7:07 PM
Lymond

Aaack! You guys are killing me. First two people I've seen say that. Oh well, to each their own. BTW, TOR announced today that they're splitting the final Wheel of Time book into 3 volumes. They can suck my balls, I refuse to further support their bullshit.
4/1/09 5:43 PM
BaldTony
220 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

LOL, George Lucas has taken up novels. That sucks

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.