UnderGround Forums

BookGround >> Best Fantasy Books

2/17/10 1:56 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
MuaySteve
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"if you guys cant get into the malazan books after the first or the second, read deadhouse gates. It is the best one out of the series imo. fucking brutal shit. "

I am now just finishing up book 3 thanks to this thread.
2/28/10 5:46 PM
Fightin_Chance
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Lymond - Fightin, I thought the first book was fantastic. I was pretty damn young when I got it, not too young for my buddy to mock me mercilessly for the cover, and was blown away by it. Great characterization and world building. Felt like it should have been a stand alone though, I didn't think the rest in the series were the same quality. That first book makes it all worth it though. I actually just skimmed through it again the other day when I visited my folks and saw it sitting in my old room. What'd you think? Like the whole thing or overly critical like me ;)

to be honest it must have been 15 years ago when i read the books....i remembered liking them all but i am not extremely discriminating when i read fantasy lol

I read the Empire Trilogy about the same time I think.....Ray Feist and Janny Wurts....liked them too
3/12/10 5:25 PM
slam1523
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The new Dresden book is coming out April 6. Here are the preview chapters.

http://www.jim-butcher.com/books/dresden/12/fullpreview.php
3/26/10 11:12 AM
Lymond
47 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Damnit, why isn't it April 6th yet?
4/2/10 12:48 AM
Lymond
47 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Changes is available online. I feel no guilt since I'll buy it as well. It was a good read :)
4/17/10 10:56 AM
Faxon

Edited: 04/17/10 10:56 AM
MuaySteve - "if you guys cant get into the malazan books after the first or the second, read deadhouse gates. It is the best one out of the series imo. fucking brutal shit. "

I am now just finishing up book 3 thanks to this thread.

Deadhouse Gates has to be, bar none, THE MOST epic book I've ever read. And I've read a lot of books. It's not my favourite book (nor is any or Erikson's stuff - too dark to be my fav) but it was epic as FUCK.

Here is someone singing a song about the Chain of Dogs (the main storyline in Deadhouse Gates). I mean, what other books have people making songs celebrating how fucking awesome it is?

5/24/10 7:02 PM
kingabiu
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Jack Vance!

Or are you guys all too young to have read him? He wrote WAAAYY cool stories. Awesome descriptions of bizarre cultures, wickedly funny dark humour, awesome tripped-out magics. All his sci-fi is brilliant too. But his main fantasy books are the Dying Earth series (+ Rhialto the Marvelous, Cugal's saga, etc) and the Lyonesse series
5/28/10 2:57 AM
The James
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Currently reading The Name of the Wind (The Kingkiller Chronicle: Day One) by Patrick Rothfuss, great book so far. Very well written and paced really well. Hard to put down. It seems to be written with a bit of an air of accessibility about it, I could see someone getting into it that's not terribly into fantasy.
7/12/10 8:01 PM
Entreri

Wheel of Time

Overall I think the series is the best epic fantasy created

Although some of the books (8-10) are not as good as the rest. 1-6 are truly epic.

Book 13 will be out in a couple of months.

The series finishes with book 14.
11/19/10 11:33 AM
cdog1955
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"The Green Rider" series is pretty good (by Kristen Britian).

I like WOT series by the middle books got boring, Sanderson has livened it up though, looking forward to the newest one out. (I just reread the whole series to get ready for the newest one out).

SOIF is excellent, but the last couple of books has dropped off a bit.

"The Name of the wind", i had to keep making myself keep reading it, in the end I'm glad i finished it.

I just reread LOTR again, awesome.

11/21/10 11:39 AM
Lymond

Richard Kadrey's Sandman Slim series is pretty good. Only two books thus far but pretty Dresden like. Less mystery, more ass kicking and swearing than Dresden. Fun series, not too deep or anything but good mindless entertainment.

Latest Wheel of Time wasn't too good. Clearly not as much RJ source material for Sanderson to work from as the last book. Who the fuck cares about Elayne? Get to the good stuff...
11/21/10 2:17 PM
BaldTony
233 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"Latest Wheel of Time wasn't too good. Clearly not as much RJ source material for Sanderson to work from as the last book. Who the fuck cares about Elayne? Get to the good stuff.."

Not wanting to speak ill of a dead man, but that sounds like Sanderson has nailed RJ's style exactly.
11/21/10 2:23 PM
BaldTony
233 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 11/21/10 2:59 PM
edited, as it turned out to be a spoiler if you look it up on Wikipedia
12/6/10 10:38 PM
HULC
53 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The first 6 books of WOT were the best books i've ever read, but from then on they slowed down a lot. Book 10 was awful. But i could still re-read the early books a hundred times and not get bored.

Most of the authors i like have been mentioned already so i'll go with some more obscure ones.

Weis and Hickman: The Deathgate Cycle - was excellent. A bit of a weak ending, but the worlds they create are absorbing, and the magic/technology system they use is excellent and easily the best explanation of magic i've come across in a fantasy setting.

I would also highly recommend The Chronicles of Hawklan by Roger Taylor. Very few people i've spoken to have read this series - 4 books long - but it stands it's ground with the best of the ones i've read.
1/18/11 12:55 AM
unclewang

I really dislike black and white fantasy. Tolkien, Fiest, Harry fucking Potter (lmao) and the rest.
I like dark, gritty, humurous fantasy that does not consist of the whiteknights vs the evil overlords.

1. George RR Martin - A Song of Ice and Fire: It's the best peroid.. there is nothing out there I have read that comes close.

luckily there are still some good choices, just dont expect ASOIF.

2. Steven Erikson - The Malazan book of the Fallen: epic, epic, epic, complex plot, characters, world, dialogue and language. Requires multiple reads to grasp and appreciate.. and a lot of patience. It's not light reading.

3. Scott Lynch - The Gentleman Bastard Sequence: funny and entertaining. Not quite as dark as the other but I dont think I've ever laughed so much reading a fantasy book.

4. Joe Abercrombie - The First Law Trilogy: not the greatest writer in the world, but makes up for it with the grit of his world and characters.

5. Glen Cooke - The Black Company: follows an elite mercenary company. Mixes fantasy with military fiction. Really dark.

Has anyone here read Daniel Abraham : the long price series? I've seen mixed reviews and can't get past the whole gesturing/posturing shit. It's really pissing me off.
1/18/11 1:01 AM
unclewang

Oh and what Fantasy thread is complete without some Sword of Truth bashing?

The chicken that was not a chicken.
6/6/11 8:07 AM
pickledsoylentgreen
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If you haven't, read Dragonlance. They are awesome books.
6/10/11 9:20 AM
OftheWay

The Circle Series by Ted Dekker is very good.
8/29/11 10:18 PM
HardyJenns

good stuff here, TTT for future reference
10/30/11 1:48 PM
blunt minded
42 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The Magicians was pretty good
12/28/11 3:33 AM
CrazyPope
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It's probably come up in this thread, but who's read the kingkiller chronicles? I just finished the second one in the series and though I enjoyed it, I preferred the first one which I thought was amazing. Rothfuss is a great writer, I really like the characters in the book, especially the main character. If you haven't read it yet I definetly recommend it, great read.
12/29/11 10:24 AM
slam1523

urban fantasy fans, if you have not read Kevin Hearne's Iron Druid series, then do so at your earliest convenience. it has many good reviews.

butcher finally has some real competition.
12/30/11 2:30 PM
Lymond

Slam, have you read the Twenty Palaces series (by Harry Connolly)? 3 and a prequel so far, and imo, the second best urban fantasy out there. Has a darker feel than the others which really works in its favor.
1/5/12 12:19 PM
slam1523

nope, but sounds interesting. thanks, i will take a look.
1/8/12 2:52 AM
CrazyPope
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Anyone read the strongbow saga? I was looking through Amazon' fantasy section a couple months ago and came across it, it's a fictional viking book which is right up my alley as I love both fantasy and vikings. I read the first this past week, literally one a night, I'm a fast reader but these are taking me no time at all. I'm enjoying it a lot so far, without spoiling too much the main character is a bad ass, I'm no expert on literature but it doesn't seem to be written badly, overall I like the characters. Honestly my biggest complaint is probably that they are too short, and I guess they could be a bit more gruesome as it is a viking book, but it's definetly not lacking in that category.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.