UnderGround Forums

PetGround >> Playing rough w/ your dog?

12/27/08 9:58 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
TOEISM
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I teach my pup (6month old English Mastiff) to fetch, hold, drop, carry his toys. I just added tug of war with 1 particular toy. I thought I was going to create an aggressive monster but he loves it! He only associates that certain toy with tug of war, & doesn't play tug of war with his other toys.

So the other night I was looking up for rough games to play with him & if it's okay to do so. Well I bumped into this

They suggest tapping into your dogs "Prey Drive" in order to have a well manor & social dog. They suggest putting yourself as the dogs Prized prey. In theory it seems to make sense. But the pushing for food training seems like some hippie mumbo jumbo.

Anyone ever tried this or heard of it? Also any suggestions or opinions on playing rough will be appreciated.

Thank you, Danny M.
12/30/08 11:27 AM
MikeZev
40 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

training and playing with prey drive is very common. Personally, I try to not play "rough" with my dog but my brother and a couple others do occasionally. I just dont want her jumping up on me. From the first time we played tug i started teaching a good "drop it". Its helpful in other situations.
1/2/09 1:16 PM
WizzleTeatsv2

I play tug all the time with my AB, and I wrestle with him too. Drove my ex-gf nuts--she was convinced I was going to create an aggressive monster.

However, I do have him trained to release/drop the rope toy on command, and he has to sit and wait for me to give him the OK to start playing. And I never let him "win". I decide when we play 90% of the time, and I end it.

He loves to wrestle but is a sucker for sweeps and sacrifice throws. Although side control ain't that good either since he starts licking/chewing on my ears.

Man...I need a life...

By the way, DO NOT play too rough with a young dog. Wait until they are fully grown--18 months to 2 years. Tug is OK but don't go overboard.
1/3/09 1:58 PM
wiley

All is fine now until it grabs a child and throws it around like its wrestling. Or it see's kids in your yard playing and fighting each other for fun and it attacks or decides to wrestles with them and your in your house and not there to use your release command.

Tug is one thing and you must always win and you also must decide when it's time to play or stop playing.

But wrestling with your dog if it has a high prey drive can be really, really bad.

I have 2 Greyhounds who have a high prey drive for squirrels etc... I tied a stuff toy to a piece of rope about 10 feet along and then attach it to a long stick/broom stick. It looks like a fishing pole with a toy on the end. I swing it around, move it around on the ground, swing it in the air, run around the yard dragging it, etc... They love it and it's not them playing with me in first person they only focus on the toy yet follow my instruction to "Drop It". Try that idea, it's funny as hell and they love it and get tired quickly.
1/4/09 7:15 AM
MikeZev
40 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

wiley - 

But wrestling with your dog if it has a high prey drive can be really, really bad.

can you expand on this a little bit?
1/4/09 5:23 PM
wiley

Come on now it's basic common knowledge that wrestling or playing real physical with your dog is not good for the Aplha role you should have. Dogs also begin to think its OK to play rough, then when the time comes you have kids or visitors and it see's them playing or having fun dogs have then tried to wrestle/attack kids.

It happens all the itme read your local paer and it happens once a year.

Kids in my home town (Hamilton, ON) were mauled by 2 Rottweilers who were owned by a dog trainer. He made the mistake of walking them off leash by a local public park and kids were laughing and wrestling on the ground. The dog took notice of the playful screeches/and the wrestling around and decided to join in. They took off from their owner and ran to join the fun, once the kids had the dogs on them it became ugly and the dogs repeatedly bit and threw these youngs kids in front of their parents. The owner who ran after his dogs didn't have enough time to get there quick enough(though he ran) to stop them. People had to beat the dogs off the kids, these kids spent a prolonged period of time in the Hospital recovering from bites and skin injuries.

If certain dogs/breeds are innate to certain behaviours then why endorse it with rough play if it is to be a house pet. ex. Greyhounds are sight hounds, they see something from a distance and will run to it, hence the reason why I can never let them off leash unless fenced in, or I may not get them back. (hit by car, gone far and cant find their way back etc...)

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/mastiff.htm Not a dog I would be wrestlig with for a second. 200lb Dominant Dog.
1/5/09 10:12 AM
MikeZev

i dont see how prey drive has anything to do with what you are talking about. wrestling with your greyhound will not make him want to chase cats anymore than he already does and it will not make you out to look like "prey". There needs to be "prey" to stimulate prey drive - a toy, a flirtpole, a small animal, etc. not the handler.

I agree playing rough with your dog will make it think thats ok to do but it wont make it attack kids. playing and attacking are 2 completely different things and its unlikely with most breeds for play to escalate to an attack.
1/5/09 11:26 AM
wiley

Some huge dogs have prey drives that if they got their hands on a child it would be devastating.

Wrestling with a dog which has innate behaviours such as aggression/prey drive is dangerous and why would someone want to even risk it.

Maybe prey drive isnt the best example but wrestling with a dog which has aggressive traits instinctly is dumb.

http://www.bakersfieldnow.com/news/local/37069754.html?video=YHI&t=a
1/5/09 11:51 AM
MikeZev

ok but prey drive is not aggression. they are 2 different things. your greyhounds will chase squirrels all day but letting them do that is not going to make them any more likely to be aggressive towards people. thats the only point i was making. i agree, its not the best idea to play rough with your 150lb rottweiler
1/5/09 6:55 PM
WizzleTeatsv2

wiley - Come on now it's basic common knowledge that wrestling or playing real physical with your dog is not good for the Aplha role you should have. Dogs also begin to think its OK to play rough, then when the time comes you have kids or visitors and it see's them playing or having fun dogs have then tried to wrestle/attack kids.

It happens all the itme read your local paer and it happens once a year.

Kids in my home town (Hamilton, ON) were mauled by 2 Rottweilers who were owned by a dog trainer. He made the mistake of walking them off leash by a local public park and kids were laughing and wrestling on the ground. The dog took notice of the playful screeches/and the wrestling around and decided to join in. They took off from their owner and ran to join the fun, once the kids had the dogs on them it became ugly and the dogs repeatedly bit and threw these youngs kids in front of their parents. The owner who ran after his dogs didn't have enough time to get there quick enough(though he ran) to stop them. People had to beat the dogs off the kids, these kids spent a prolonged period of time in the Hospital recovering from bites and skin injuries.

If certain dogs/breeds are innate to certain behaviours then why endorse it with rough play if it is to be a house pet. ex. Greyhounds are sight hounds, they see something from a distance and will run to it, hence the reason why I can never let them off leash unless fenced in, or I may not get them back. (hit by car, gone far and cant find their way back etc...)

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/mastiff.htm Not a dog I would be wrestlig with for a second. 200lb Dominant Dog.

This is true only if you don't establish a dominant role in other ways. My dog knows who's in charge, and there is more to dominance than simply wrestling. For instance, controlling the play (when it starts and ends), the intensity, and not letting the dog "win" are all very important.

Anyone who doesn't have two Rotties who are OFF LEASH in a public park under voice control is an idiot--and in this case, a shitty trainer to boot. I don't take my AB off leash around kids playing, and he is under control--I just don't want to risk anything happening. I hope that guy got in deep shit.
5/26/09 2:13 AM
Herring In A Fur Coat

FightMatrix.com, MMA Rankings
 I play rough/wrestle with my Dogue De Bordeaux all the time.  No side effects reported.
6/23/09 12:50 AM
snickers

It drives me nuts when men play rough with there dogs. I think it's about wanting to control something. I think it makes the dogs mean. If not mean, then terrified of everything.
6/23/09 11:00 AM
MikeZev

when it comes to your dog, you should control EVERYTHING. you may think it makes a dog mean but, you're incorrect. it might make the dog poorly behaved but certainly not mean.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.