UnderGround Forums

Wrestling UnderGround >> Luta Livre and Catch Wrestling

12/29/08 12:55 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
oblongo
59 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Do they share any common roots? How similar are they in terms of techniques, strategies, etc?
2/15/09 10:56 PM
Beezulbubba
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

They took the masks and ran with it, but are basically spot machines, with comedy overtones.
2/25/09 2:13 PM
voodoo child
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

luta livre as in the brasilian rival to BJJ??
2/25/09 8:00 PM
oblongo
59 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yeah, not lucha libre, the Mexican pro wrestling.
2/27/09 6:49 AM
Beezulbubba
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

that was sarcasm.
2/28/09 6:27 PM
dezflag

I always thought LL had a Catch Wrestling flavor, particularly with the leglocks. I wonder if there is a connection or just parallel evolution of no gi grappling styles?
3/2/09 6:30 PM
voodoo child

From my understanding, LL has its roots in freestyle wrestling and perhaps some catch as catch can, but was greatly influenced by no-gi BJJ to the point where it is just regarded as BJJ without the kimono. That being said, BJJ has pretty much dominated the rivalry throughtout the years.
3/9/09 5:54 AM
temp220239

BJJ has dominated the rivalry but one thing to consider is that Luta Livre has traditionally been the blue collar style of fighting with Ju Jitsu being the white collar. The Gracie family has money for training facilities, etc. As far as the roots it has to Catch every style has roots to catch. Remember Mitsyu Maeda trained the Gracie family and was a competitive catch wrestler. Catch Wrestling is the Grandaddy of Em' All!
3/10/09 2:10 AM
voodoo child

^^ Good Post
7/28/09 6:34 AM
Whambo
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I remember when I first came on here, you used to hear about Luta Livre all the time. I wish a top level Luta Livre fighter would come around again.
7/28/09 3:46 PM
RUSRedDevil
52 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

wasn't Babalu originally LutreLivre trained?
3/24/10 10:32 AM
ValeTudo0
35 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You will see more and more Luta Livre guys come around. I trained LL at RFT in Brazil for 1 month.
Top level guys include l.acevedo, leo chocolate, besouro (which you probably will see in the UFC soon). Great guys and great fighters. Stylistically speaking they had awesome wrestling, great leglocks...just all around top level no-gi submission wrestling. I do not consider it no-gi JJ because they had a different style.
I dont have much experience with catch wrestling but I think it is more comparable to catch than JJ any day of the week.
3/25/10 8:08 PM
BeerMuscles

Luta Livre comes from Catch Wrestling. The founders of Luta Livre learned from pro wrestlers touring Brazil.
3/29/10 7:33 PM
m.g
33 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Actually Luta Livre has two meaning in Brazil. It can refer amateur freestyle wrestling. It can also mean the no-gi submission style counter part of Brazilian Jiujitsu.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.