UnderGround Forums

Pinoy UnderGround >> How may Pinoy Black Belts are there?

12/29/08 9:30 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
TristanESP
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 12/06/11 4:49 PM

UPDATED LIST: I added Phillipe Nover. I guess I'm going to add the stipulation that you have to be at least %50 pinoy :)

John Ouano (was he the first?)

Sim Go

John Baylon

Myles Vives

Alvin Aguilar

Dan Inosanto

Dude from Virginia (???)

Mike Vives

Phillipe Nover

Don Cunanan

Mike Ancheta

Randy Malacas

Jay Pages

Michael Cusi

mark vives<

Justin Doctolero

Felicia Oh

Mike Bejoc

12/29/08 10:16 PM
mikecimm
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

mike vives, the eldest, is a bb as well, mark, the middle and my instructor is not far off, he would've had it by now, but he took off 4 yrs to raise his oldest daughter, currently brown with 2 stripes

there has to be more
12/30/08 3:44 AM
LiteBlu
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

To my knowledge there are only 2 homegrown blackbelts (did most of their learning and grappling in the Philippines)

Alvin Aguilar

John Baylon.

(Isn't Dan Inosanto a machado black belt?)
12/30/08 6:28 AM
PTM2020
911 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 01/07/09 8:00 PM
"Isn't Dan Inosanto a machado black belt?"

Yes he is.

Also there is Jonathan Wertz who outpointed the venerable David Jacobs in competition a while back.

Dsc03766.jpg picture by ptm2020

Doesn't Ralph or Cesar have a pinoy bb?  
12/30/08 6:43 AM
PTM2020
911 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"John Ouano (was he the first?)"

Yeah I'm almost positive he was the first.

I remember training with him when he was a Blue Belt @ Carlsons in L.A.   Dude was an Animal with serious tecnique.
12/31/08 12:09 AM
PhillyPino
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TUF finalist Phillipe Nover got his black belt recently
12/31/08 7:14 PM
FearMir
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Is Brandon Vera a brown still?
1/1/09 10:46 PM
rom

just wanna throw in some info with regards to pinoy bjj fighter, guys...

i know a pinoy guy, a friend of mine. i don't wanna put his name here w/o his permission. he fought tito ortiz in an underground match during the time tito was not famous. the result was a draw.

this guy even fought mr. alvin aguilar of urcc in a bjj match and put him to sleep. my friend is only a white belt and a student of rickson gracie. he is one of the original badboy team from guam and together he also trained w/ vitor belfort.

he was only around 15-18y.o. that time and was the youngest fighter. but he opted to go to school pursuing a medical field course.

just wanna share this.
1/1/09 11:30 PM
El_Varaco
269 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

this guy even fought mr. alvin aguilar of urcc in a bjj match and put him to sleep.

when was this?
1/2/09 12:04 AM
rom

El_Varaco -
this guy even fought mr. alvin aguilar of urcc in a bjj match and put him to sleep.

when was this?

hello El_Varaco,

i'm not so sure when was the year. we seldom see each other now that he's busy with school. but my friend is a down to earth guy and doesn't like to tell anyone. well, i just did for him hehe.. i mean i wanna give him some credit for his accomplishment in his mma experience. anyway the thread is all about pinoy bjj except his not a blackbelt. this guy is very young but if you know mr. alvin aguilar you can ask him. a pinoy guy from guam whom he fought years ago.

peace
1/2/09 12:10 AM
rom

probably i'd suspect sometime 1998-2001?? if the time frame serves me right, he would've been 26-27 by now i guess. i'll ask if ever i see him again.
1/2/09 2:25 AM
El_Varaco
269 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

great info, i rarely hear stories about people losing

thanks rom!
1/2/09 7:09 AM
EKPOGI
44 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

alvin aguilar competed?

ttt for pinoy bjj bb
1/2/09 7:31 AM
rom

El_Varaco - great info, i rarely hear stories about people losing

thanks rom!
no prob man!
1/2/09 7:40 AM
rom

EKPOGI - alvin aguilar competed?

ttt for pinoy bjj bb

he told me alvin is a good bjj fighter and they fought once. he told me that alvin even went to brazil to train with some of the bjj fighters there. alvin came from a rich pinoy fam he can afford to do things the average pinoys in the Pinas can't, like travelling and just BJJ all year long :)

i'll let ya guys know more.. i'll talk to him if i see him. he's good friends with vitor btw and he says that when they practice, vitor's fists hits him like jack hammer! LOL :D
1/2/09 7:44 AM
rom

hold on, i should have confirmed it to him. but as i remember its a bjj match but then i believe they fought in an underground match. coz he told me before that he fought mostly in underground matches, no gloves kinda like the old ufc. i'll clarify this to him.
1/2/09 9:44 AM
TristanESP
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

No offense, Thanks for your story, but you should've made another thread. This thread was to honor the accomplishments of our Pinoy brothers in completing the long journey to black belt... NOT to have someone come on here and said so and so (not even a name) tapped them 10 years ago when they weren't a black belt yet.

Please post your continuation of this story in a new thread.

Thanks.
1/2/09 1:46 PM
conviser
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

There's a guy in West Virginia, Don Cunanan, who just got his black belt:

http://www.nhbgear.com/forum/index.php/topic,86724.0.html

The Pinoy MMA site is down, but it had a "Black Belt Database." Plenty of BBs in California. The only one I recall off-hand is Mike Ancheta:

http://www.nhbgear.com/forum/index.php/topic,78009.0.html
1/2/09 7:53 PM
rom

TristanESP - No offense, Thanks for your story, but you should've made another thread. This thread was to honor the accomplishments of our Pinoy brothers in completing the long journey to black belt... NOT to have someone come on here and said so and so (not even a name) tapped them 10 years ago when they weren't a black belt yet.

Please post your continuation of this story in a new thread.

Thanks.

hello TristanESP :)

no prob i was just replying to them that's all, no prob dude.. anyway, i apologize for not thinking about it.
1/2/09 8:10 PM
EKPOGI
44 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

yeah sorry for hijacking the thread.congrats to all the pinoy bjj blackbelts.make us proud.i wonder if i can get discount on getting a bjj blackbelt because im their kababayan.
1/3/09 12:20 AM
TristanESP

Haha, no need to apologize guys. I didn't mean to sound pissed... this isn't the UG... We're all brothers and sisters here!
1/5/09 10:39 AM
TristanESP

lol... you serious Comeback Kid?
1/5/09 3:42 PM
PTM2020

Edited: 01/05/09 3:41 PM
 Tristan, stop being so mean to your pinoy brethren.

; )

Anyways, Doesn't Ralph have a pinoy BB??? I'm pretty sure there could be several  in Hawaii.

1/5/09 6:10 PM
conviser

I found a cached version of the "Pinoy Belt Database," last updated on 5/8/2008:

http://74.125.95.132/search?q=cache:Hb8utaj4y0oJ:www.pinoymma.com/mainsite/content/view/163/1/index.php%3Foption%3Dcom_content%26task%3Dview%26id%3D89%26Itemid%3D+%22pinoy+belt+database%22&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1&gl=us

Stephen Kamphuis is included based on his Philippines residency.
1/5/09 6:23 PM
PTM2020

whoa! forgot about Felicia Oh

Pinoy Belt Database

Below are adult Brazilan Jiu Jitsu belt ranks for Filipino athletes, as of the last modifed date and time. PinoyMMA attempts to verify each entry below.  If for some reason PinoyMMA cannot verify the listing, we will place an asterisk (*) sign beside the entry. 

BLACK BELT

• Alvin Aguilar (Kazeka Muniz)
  • Dan Inosanto (Machado Brothers)
  • Daniel Tcruz (Gerson Sanginitto)
  • Felicia Oh (Jean Jacques Machado)
  • Jeremy Geaga (Gerson Sanginitto)
  • John Ouano (Rodrigo Medeiros)
  • Mike Ancheta (Wander Braga)
  • Mike Vives (Rodrigo Medeiros)
  • Myles Vives (Rodrigo Medieros/John Ouano)
  • Omar Salvosa (Marcus Soares)
  • Simpson Go (Marc Laimon)
  • Stephen Kamphuis (Fabricio Martins)
  • Vince Vanderlipe (Claudio Franca)
  • *Odjie Reyes (Marcelino Gomez)

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.