UnderGround Forums

Weapons UnderGround >> Remington 870 or Benelli M4?

12/30/08 2:09 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
yasonf
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Looking to get one of these in the next couple of months or so.  870 has been proven reliable and a workhorse.  M4 shoots fast and is supposedly very reliable as well.  I would probably use it for LE work.
12/30/08 10:48 AM
paw
1368 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Isn't there a really significant price difference between the two --- like the Benelli is 2 or 3 times more than the Remington? 
12/30/08 1:39 PM
e. kaye

870 from Wilson Scattergun Technologies and sent to Vang for a Vang Comp, or get the whole thing from Vang.
11/15/10 2:43 AM
1911fanatic

e. kaye -  870 from Wilson Scattergun Technologies and sent to Vang for a Vang Comp, or get the whole thing from Vang.

What he said. I bought my gun from Wilson, and would love to have it Vang Comped.
11/16/10 12:06 PM
Andrew Yao

I'd suggest the Mossberg 500.

Less expensive than either, but still considered to be very reliable and durable.
The safety is on the top of the receiver, which means that you can leave your thumb covering the safety and use your thumb to disengage the safety.  That's where your thumb should be anyways when shooting a shotgun btw.  If you try to wrap your thumb around the grip, you're more likely to bang your thumb knuckle into your nose.  Since the Mossberg's safety is on the top, it's easy to use left handed if you want to switch to your left side to shoot around the left side of a barricade.  Since the Mossberg safety is on top, you definitely should get a traditional style stock with no pistol grip.  If you want a pistol grip don't get a Mossberg because you won't be able to manipulate the safety quickly.
The Mossberg has an aluminum receiver which is perhaps less durable, but I haven't heard of anyone breaking or wearing one out, and it's lighter and doesn't rust

On the 870 you need to use your trigger finger to cover the crossbolt safety and when you want to shoot, use your trigger finger to push the safety in, then go to the trigger, which is a little slower and not consistent with other guns where you keep your trigger finger indexed along the frame when not shooting.
Also the Mossberg has no loading gate when you put shells in the mag tube, and the 870 does, which can pinch your finger if you don't do it right when pushing rounds into the mag. 

The M4 is great but costs way way more.  At that price point I'd just get an AR.

11/18/10 8:09 PM
Demitrius Barbito
40 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

11/22/10 7:46 PM
Skpotamus
38 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'd go with the remington or a mossberg 590 and spend the money you saved by not buying the benelli on ammo and a training class.
12/27/10 6:40 PM
SidRon
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The question should probably be restated as "Remington 870 and $1,250 or Benelli M4?"
1/19/11 3:06 PM
GaGas Soldier

anyone who has ever shot a benelli m4 knows the answer to this one. If price isnt a factor there isnt a better combat shotgun a civilian can buy than the m4
1/19/11 3:38 PM
Skpotamus
38 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

GaGas Soldier - anyone who has ever shot a benelli m4 knows the answer to this one. If price isnt a factor there isnt a better combat shotgun a civilian can buy than the m4

I've shot one and would still take the mossberg or remington pump over them.

For a semi-auto, I'd probably take the Saiga 12 gauge over anything else. Heck, IDPA had to ban the thing to keep the guys with the benellis, remingtons and mossbergs in the competitions since they were getting spanked so bad.
1/21/11 12:10 PM
GaGas Soldier

Skpotamus - 
GaGas Soldier - anyone who has ever shot a benelli m4 knows the answer to this one. If price isnt a factor there isnt a better combat shotgun a civilian can buy than the m4

I've shot one and would still take the mossberg or remington pump over them.

For a semi-auto, I'd probably take the Saiga 12 gauge over anything else. Heck, IDPA had to ban the thing to keep the guys with the benellis, remingtons and mossbergs in the competitions since they were getting spanked so bad.

i own both a saiga 12 and a benelli m4 and you saying ud take the saiga makes me doubt uve shot the m4. There is no comparison in controllability, reliability, accuracy. Not even comparible
1/21/11 4:29 PM
Skpotamus

Sorry, different strokes for different folks. The saiga had noticeably less recoil for everyone that shot it, was more reliable (I mean damn, it's a freaking ak for gods sake, they're almost impossible to break, whereas the M4 couldn't cycle the birdshot we put through it, the 00 cycled fine though), holds more rounds and the reloads are mucho grande faster. Hence IDPA banning them from 3 gun competitions as they created an "unfair advantage" to the users of the Saiga's.

Actually, you saying the benelli had less recoil makes me think you had the gas tube set incorrectly.

Here's a couple vids, first is a Deadliest warrior episode, where a swat officer shoots a M4 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZ4rwSptLzs, note the muzzle flip.

Here's a couple videos of guys with full auto saigas http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4K-heFRwuWs&feature=related less muzzle flip on the full auto for crying out loud.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2moKnSVoklU&feature=related The second vid is a girl shooting a saiga with 00 buck and leaning backwards, she has less muzzle flip than the swat operator in the benelli vid.

The reason I didn't suggest the saiga before was it wasn't one of the options and it is closer to the cost of the benelli.
1/30/11 9:48 AM
Demitrius Barbito
40 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The 870 has always worked flawlessly for me. I've used many. Never had a problem. ANYTHING is possible tho.

In this clip were using all 870s on the range. We beat the crud outta these weapons.

Shotgun work starts about: 3:45

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.