UnderGround Forums

Food & Wine Ground >> Chili question, bean to meat ratio?

12/30/08 10:07 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
droc
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Red Devil Shop, Official Fedor Gear

What's the best bean to meat ratio for a good chili?

On alpos ribs and chile thread (which looks absolutely fantastic) it looks like a lot more meat than beans (I like meat so I approve of this a lot), but I've also had a look at a few recipes from foodnetwork and other places and it varies a lot.

Is there a general rule?
Is it down to personal taste, gastric health, protein requirements, or something else?

Thanks

DROC
12/31/08 8:35 PM
crescentwrench
305 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm in Texas and don't know if I'm being monitored right now, so I have to say

Meat - 100%
Beans - 0%
1/1/09 12:21 PM
Mullet @ Heart
53 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

My recipe uses 4 lbs ground beef, and 5 (15 oz) cans of beans.
1/1/09 12:39 PM
CR1chard
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

My recipe uses 5-6 lbs. of meat, and 1 bag of dried beans (so 1 lb?) I also use a bag of frozen corn
1/2/09 6:16 AM
droc

So, about a 4/5 to 1 ratio would be good?

DROC
1/3/09 11:25 AM
alpo
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Around here, it's 100% meat.  I usually make it about 25% beans just because I like it that way, personally. 
1/5/09 1:28 PM
cbgrappler

Edited: 01/05/09 1:27 PM
i go with the following ratio:

lots o beans/lots o meat

1/5/09 2:47 PM
droc

thanks guys, I'll try a few combinations and see which one I like.

DROC
1/20/09 11:42 PM
ilovetortillas
266 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

crescentwrench - I'm in Texas and don't know if I'm being monitored right now, so I have to say

Meat - 100%
Beans - 0%

+1
2/14/09 1:59 AM
MisoWhoreKnee
197 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ilovetortillas - 
crescentwrench - I'm in Texas and don't know if I'm being monitored right now, so I have to say

Meat - 100%
Beans - 0%

+1
+2

I found a bunch of recipes online from past winners of national chili cooks offs and none of them contained beans.  Plus Weinerschnitzel's chili doesn't have beans.

2/14/09 10:13 PM
crescentwrench
305 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Most chili cookoffs don't allow beans in their competition chili.  A lot of chili at the cookoffs that they give out to the crowd will have beans though.  They did in VA anyway.  Not in TX though.  That would get you in more trouble than naming your cookoff team "Yankee Faggots for Gun Control".
2/20/09 9:18 PM
Worth

1 pound of meat to 1 cup of beans. I use 1/2 cup of kidney beans, 1/4 cup of pinto, 1/4 cup of navy or northern.
2/26/09 7:11 PM
johnnypayne
57 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

none, better to serve a seperate mixed bean chilli
3/3/09 11:34 PM
KlingKiteMayor

no beans, only flour just like tommy's in LA
7/9/11 10:09 AM
Fly Rodder
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I skip the flour or masa and just use Alton's simple thickener: corn tortilla chips in my spice grinder (watch your salt, though). Does two things, adds a nice body to the chili and, because I run the chips through the grinder after I do my spices, it cleans my grinder out.
7/12/11 8:19 AM
crescentwrench

Good job gmf. Way to take fum tongue in cheek comments on a thread from three years ago and get sanctimonious about it.
7/12/11 11:20 AM
crescentwrench

Sure thing. Minus my joke about Texas chili and its bean issue and talking about rules of chili cookoff competition the answers here have been do what you like the best. So you got on your high horse for things nobody said. You could realize that that you were grasping for something to be an ass about or you could keep trying to deflect and hope we all start paying attention to how I type from my phone.
7/12/11 5:27 PM
crescentwrench

You're doing well. I'm sure everyone will appreciate your contributions and not think you're a troll at all.
7/12/11 5:56 PM
crescentwrench

You will probably get more bites trolling the OG. Getting a laugh out of this little interaction is amateur hour. And you'll get your little character going quicker as well unless you want your schtick to be subforum troll guy.
7/12/11 7:57 PM
crescentwrench

Of course you were.
7/22/11 8:42 PM
shootfightermike
978 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ttt
9/3/11 6:56 PM
alxholic
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

lol.. who got banned? cw's talking to himself..

anyway.. what makes chili cincinnati chili? i had some a couple weeks ago in cincy and wants to try to make some.. topping spaghetti is a genius way to stretch a batch to 10-15 meals..
9/4/11 11:40 AM
crescentwrench

lol, weird.  I don't remember very well.  I think he was bitching serious about the jokes made on putting beans and stuff in chili.  Looks like he tried to back out with a troll angle.  

Anyway, Cincinatti chili has a few differences.  It's made with ground beef as opposed to chunks or chili ground.  And it's really soft textured so it's not browned beforehand.  I saw on a show where they simmered raw hamburger in some water until it broke apart and rendered a little fat out, then they chopped up the little meat worms as they slowly cooked it in a pot with the rest of the ingredients.  And the spices are a little different, it has a Greek influence.  There's oregano and other non-Texas things in there, and it always has a little cinammon in it.  That's the key.

And I never even thought of putting chili on spaghetti until I met a guy from Ohio in college.  It makes sense though, if you put Bolognese in a bowl it's basically a chili dish so the reverse is true too.  I like it now as one of my leftover meals even though I don't make it Cincinatti style.  Spaghetti, chili, a pound of grated cheddar cheese and chop about half an onion.  
9/4/11 11:55 AM
shootfightermike
978 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

saw that^
9/5/11 6:01 PM
alpo
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yeah, I do sort of a Cincinatti style to help stretch leftovers.  By that I mean just basically serving the chili over pasta; I don't cook the chili in correct Cincinatti way.  It helps to keep the pasta pretty wet, e.g. don't drain it thoroughly, and finish it in a pan with the chili.  It has a tendancy to be too dry if you use regular chili, so you need to watch the moisture.  FWIW, I've also had some success with brown rice.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.