UnderGround Forums

SoldierGround >> Im I stupid to think of enlisting? Cardiac Nurse

1/3/09 5:40 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
sourcheese
268 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 01/03/09 5:41 PM

Well for the past few months Ive thought of enlisting in the nurse reserves or fulltime. I have a boatload of questions and I honestly dont trust recruiters for shit.

Here is the thing. Ive been a nurse for 4 years and I feel stagnent in my carrier. I have an associates. I live with my girlfreind and we have a 4 month old (I would join when he was about 1 though if I was to do it)

What is the difference between navy army and airforce reserves vs full time?

which one of those would give my girlfreind and baby an opportunity to live on base and allow me to take care of them financialy? (girlfreind works as an office assistant manager but has a flexable background for work.. she has bartended, waitressed so it wouldnt be hard for her to pick up work somewhere else. have discussed this with her)

Or is this just a plain stupid idea? What turns me on is the sign on bonus, the chance for contininuing education and the ability to serve my country.

What are your thoughts?
1/3/09 8:01 PM
sourcheese
268 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

susposed to say am I stupid?. christ learn english.
1/4/09 2:07 AM
BigDaddyPerkins
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

check into fulltime army nurse program, they might pay you while you get your BS in RN. You will be an officer = better pay for your family. You need to find a medical recruiter for this. I might be a contact for you tomorow. Gotta look it up.
4/21/09 2:57 PM
saint39
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Your kid would be able to live on base with you provided you have custody, your GF would not, unless you marry her. If you live off base, you would get BAH with dependents(must list kid as dependent), then you wouldn't have to marry her(unless you really want to).

You would have to have a BSN to get commissioned, not sure if AD service would pay for that or not.

My wife was in the ER a couple months ago, and we had a nurse who was a civilian working at the Naval Hospital ER, and she said she liked it more there than any civi hospital she had ever worked at. As a nurse you would have multiple hospital corpsmen(Navy) or medics(Army/AF) working in your ward(this could be good or bad, depending on the quality of people).

You may ask yourself, why the military? If you feel you have stagnated, why not pursue higher credentialing and some form of special cert, since you would need schooling for the military anyway?
4/26/09 10:20 AM
ChinoV
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What saint39 stated is true.

I am a LPN in the army, and I am enlisted. I work in an army hospital, and it has been full of ups and downs and a lot of BS that we have to deal with. But being flexible is all a part of a being in the army. You would have to get your BSN to become an officer. And of course you would have to do that on your time off. It would be hard to finish up your BSN while active duty because of the work schedule.
We work 12-13hr shifts, and that doesn't include Physical training (PT) that we do before work. Its long days, but then we usually get 3days off a week, so it has its ups and downs. A lot of times on our days off we still have to come in to complete some type of military training, so sometimes days off don't feel like days off.

You would have to marry your GF, or have joint custody of your child to move offpost. Must have full custody to move on post housing.

My personal opinion, join the chAIR force, or maybe the coastguard. The quality of life is better in the chAIR force, and its a lot softer from what I hear. They only deploy 3-4 months (unless your security forces). Military is a great job security, and the pay only gets better. Heads up on the bonus....They usually give you half once you finish your schooling (job training), and give you the rest of it over the length of your enlistment, and they do tax EVERYTHING!!!!

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.