UnderGround Forums

Food & Wine Ground >> turkey, breast down

1/5/09 1:31 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
cbgrappler
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I cooked a turkey this week breast down, and was amazed by how juicy it was ... it didn't look as pretty but after I carved it, you wouldnt have been able to tell the difference

anyone else do the breast down?
1/6/09 11:17 AM
crescentwrench
277 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Breast down, ass up I say.

I tried it and couldn't tell a lot of difference.  Brining and not cooking it to dust had more of an effect in my experience.  If it worked for you however you do your turkey though, I say keep it up. 
1/6/09 9:43 PM
sloppy2nds
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Did it on a spit over charcoal with minimal seasoning and it was fantastic.

1/8/09 8:30 AM
cbgrappler
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I don't brine but am going to try it ... I figured out the cause of my previous dry turkeys - my oven was off by 75 degrees ... lol
1/8/09 8:56 AM
crescentwrench
277 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Damn, that's a big swing. 

If your turkey says "Enhanced with up to a 12% solution" or something or you can see tiny holes through the skin then don't brine.  It's already been done for you.

The oven temp seems like the guilty party to me.  My mom's is that way too.  She asked when I was cooking a roast for our Christmas, "What temperature do you want to cook it at?" 

I said, "About 275".  She looked up for a split second, calculating in her head.

"Then set it to 325"

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.