UnderGround Forums

Pinoy UnderGround >> Was wondering if this was true.

1/7/09 5:01 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
PTM2020
1265 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Back in like 95-96 some dude who trained with the Gracies here in the states moves back to P.I.   Not sure what his belt level was or what his name was, but he begins to do some Gracie Challenge type stuff.  I'm talkin, taking Ads out in the Newspapers challenging all Martial Artists to fight for money and even Dojo storming. 

He was supposed to be pretty good but I have no idea what his name was or if this was even true.  Supposedly he got alot of notariety back then.

Anyways I heard about this from a guy I used to train shooto with and he could not stop talking about him.  I always thought that despite having Gracie training in a country where he could probably be the only one, a guy doing something like that in P.I. would  most likely end up stabbed or shot.

Anyone know who this guy might be or if it's BS?

1/7/09 5:15 AM
El_Varaco
331 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

he did the dojo storming here?

haven't heard of any story like that, will have to check it out though, curious too as to who this guy is
1/7/09 6:18 AM
PTM2020
1265 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

^Yeah, he was supposedly going from Karate studio to Karate studio challenging the Instructors.

1/7/09 8:39 AM
EKPOGI
58 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ronnie Ricketts!

just kidding.closest thing i would know is Alvin Aguilar.Dude trained with some gracies,even in Brazil.then built a Rickson-like word of mouth invincibility.there's videos of him whooping on untrained people or TMA people.also had his crew against other bjj crews rivalry ala lutalivre/bjj.he even got shot by his former students.dude's tough though,recovered real quick.he got a black belt now but i dont remember him competing.also a big influence on the MMA scene in the Philippines.hes the the main dude for URCC.he never fought profesionally also.he should though,in my opinion,try to fight pro when the UFC goes to the Philippines.he got a cult going there.ive met some people who trained with him and they are convinced he is godlike as far as fighting.
1/7/09 8:39 AM
EKPOGI
58 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

he used to posts here on mma.tv.under bjjbomb i think.
1/7/09 8:41 AM
PTM2020

Edited: 01/07/09 8:41 AM
 ^I suspected it might be Alvin but wasn't sure.  did he take out ads in the newspapers???

He's the dude with the hot sister right???

1/7/09 8:53 AM
EKPOGI

^yes.his sister is hot.

but yeah,him and his homeboys used to dojo storm and whoop on TMA.dont know if he put out ads on newspapers.only thing i look @ newspapers are sports,PUGAD BABOY and Xerex Xaviera.

this is from his wiki

"Starting his Gracie Jiu-jitsu training at the Gracie Academy in Los Angeles, California in 1993, he is now a Black Belt in Gracie Jiu-Jitsu, and is one of three existing certified International training representatives to the Gracie Association. "
1/7/09 8:55 AM
EKPOGI

http://www.businessmirror.com.ph/03152007/sports01.html

article about his sister.maybe someone can post her pics here on the PG
1/7/09 6:02 PM
PTM2020

I'm in Love Fellas.

An opportunity she would not pass
Drinie Aguilar puts the Filipina on sports broadcast map

By Jimbo Gulle
Reporter

SCANNING Drinie Aguilar’s four-page résumé is like looking into a kaleidoscope: it shows the colorful life of a multifaceted, brilliant young woman. And then you meet the person herself, and get blown away by her exquisite features.

Aguilar, however, yearns to be remembered for something more than her beauty or her busy curriculum vitae. She wants to be one of the top Filipino broadcast journalists around, and help promote the sport she loves most, soccer.

For now, Alexandrine Ann Alcid Aguilar is happy reaching another milestone in her blossoming television career—as the first Filipina presenter on ESPN Star Sports (ESS), Asia’s top sports broadcaster.

As one of five presenters on the two-minute bulletin show Caltex Sports Today, Drinie delivers a quick update on the latest news from around the globe, usually during mornings. She shares the hosting chores with fellow newcomer Erin Ade and ESS regulars Paula Malai Ali, Charlie Webster and Jamie Yeo.

More significantly, it’s the first international TV job for the former teen actress, who turned 26 on February 22. It also allows her to emerge from the shadow, sports-wise, of her older brother Alvin Aguilar, the martial artist who founded the locally successful Universal Reality Combat Championships (URCC).

“I grew up [being known] as ‘Alvin’s sister’ but I wanted my own identity,” says the lithe five-foot-four stunner with a smile in a solo interview with BusinessMirror. “I’m happy I got this job. I want to cast my own shadow too.”

Glamour and grit

But for a while, the daughter of Philippine National Construction Corp. (PNCC) chairman Arthur Aguilar and the former Madeleine Alcid, a champion ballroom dancer and painter, wasn’t sure what shape that shadow would take.

Besides her stints at local TV giant ABS-CBN, who made her a part of its Star Circle stable of teen stars, Aguilar was also an accomplished television and print ad model and hosted a number of big events even before she turned 20.

Those glamorous roles were in stark contrast to Aguilar’s being captain of her high-school football team, plus being a varsity swimmer and a cheer-dancer at De La Salle Zobel. She was good enough to earn a soccer scholarship to the University of the Philippines, and even served as UP’s team manager in 2000.

But her life took a turn toward its present path when she moved to Australia to pursue her college degree. She transferred from UP, where she was taking up Speech Communication, to Insearch, an arm of the University of Technology Sydney.

1/7/09 6:02 PM
PTM2020

At Insearch, Drinie made the merit list in earning her Diploma of Communication with the highest honors, before completing her Bachelor of Arts in Media and Cultural Studies degree at Macquarie University, also in Sydney.

“I always knew I wanted to be a broadcast journalist, but I did the fun things first before I geared myself toward sports, where I found my niche,” says the former member of Manila’s Five Loveliest in 2000. “I’m very passionate about improving, and I want to do well in this field.”

To help her do just that, Aguilar worked as a sportscaster for Solar Sports from November 2005 to May last year, then cohosted The Real Pinoy Fighter with big brother Alvin while appearing on Sports TV, both ABS-CBN programs.

Thanks to MySpace

The big break finally came last November, when she received a message from a friend through the MySpace web site asking her if she was interested in a job at ESS.

“I didn’t take it seriously at first, but then I thought ‘What if this is actually real?’ So I told my friend I’d give it a look,” says the avowed fan of soccer powers Manchester United and Barcelona and an “admirer” of Chelsea.

As it turned out, the job offer was from Huw Bevan, senior vice president for production of ESPN STAR Sports, who came to Manila for the World Pool Championships. He wanted to see Aguilar’s previous work, and was prepared to give her a three-week trial at the network’s studios in Singapore.

At the end of the trial’s second week, Bevan told her he liked what she was doing and offered her a contract. “It was beautiful news. I was so ecstatic, I was crying. It was huge for me,” says Aguilar, who began hosting Caltex Sports Today on December 4.

Entering her third month at ESS, she’s still bewildered by Singaporeans who can’t understand how a Filipino can be a football fanatic like her.

“When they hear us talk about football, they think its American [gridiron] football,” she says. “So I hope there’s someone who really works hard to raise the sport [soccer] here. Somebody has to do it.”

Busybody

It could also be her, as she’s already involved in a dizzying number of sports besides soccer. She’s a brown belt in taekwondo, has trained in boxing and is learning capoeira, the Brazilian martial art.

Aguilar’s has also competed in half-marathons, is a licensed scuba diver, surfed in Hawaii, Australia and the Philippines, went wakeboarding in Batangas and skydived 13,500 feet in Sydney. That’s apart from being a kayaker, wall climber, adventure racer, gymnast, dancer and a “recreational” golfer.

She may not have time for all those activities now that she’s relocated to the Lion City, but there’s something Drinie has yet to do.

“I want to get as far as I can in this business,” she says. “I have an opportunity here and I will not let it pass.”

If that means seeing her on ESPN’s SportsCenter in the future, that’s a facet Drinie Aguilar would love to write down on her lengthening resume—hopefully soon.

1/7/09 6:09 PM
TristanESP
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I would think that takes balls to issue a challenge like that in the PI. People in the states are crazy enough to come back and shoot you after being embarrassed in a fight, but at least here people have some fear of the law. I
1/7/09 9:19 PM
El_Varaco
331 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I doubt if it's alvin, though I can't say for sure

he did storm Dojo's in the 90s and issued challenges to other TMA's, and was involved in some frat rumbles in college, but I don't remember him putting ads in the papers. There were underground Kumite type matches before from what I heard, but I don't know if he participated or if it was just the FMA boys.

I don't know that much about Alvin admittedly, but he does have a Ricksonesque thing going about him, I've never seen him compete against top local competition though, the best BJJ guys he's ever competed against (that I've seen) were all his students. Would love to see him against John Baylon or Myles.

He has competed stateside I think, together with some of his students, but mostly sport BJJ, i haven't heard of him actually fighting in the ring, except for all the street fight stories.

and yes his sister is hot, you should see her play soccer. I remember back in HS, one of the guys in my class decided to date Drinie. Now, no one dared date drinie, because of Alvin, now this dude didn't care at all. He became a hero to us, I think he dated drinie for about a year too.

I would think that takes balls to issue a challenge like that in the PI. People in the states are crazy enough to come back and shoot you after being embarrassed in a fight, but at least here people have some fear of the law

heh

i remember there was this one time a BJJ instructor got stabbed near his school, and the rumored reason was because he couldn't set up there as there already was a BJJ school in the area (presumably the guys that stabbed him were from that other school). BJJ dude lived though, but he left the country soon afterward, dunno if he's back.
1/8/09 3:24 AM
EKPOGI

best thing about alvin and his hot sister are they are true La Sallians. ANIMO!
3/7/09 6:34 PM
MobutuHari
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yes, I've heard of this guy when I went to Manila.

LaSallian eh? I went there for a study abroad. Haha, nobody mentioned him at school! Damn!

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.