UnderGround Forums

Food & Wine Ground >> Nice little science of food article

1/7/09 7:30 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
MetaDevil
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 01/07/09 7:30 PM

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/06/science/06cook.html

"Next dish: roasted brussels sprouts with bacon, browned on the stove in a cast-iron skillet and then roasted in the oven. The dish turned out fine, but I had unknowingly and luckily avoided producing a rotten egg stink. Brussels sprouts -- and other vegetables of the Brassica family, including cabbage -- release hydrogen sulfide as they cook, particularly when boiled for too long.

"Between five and seven minutes, they double in stinky hydrogen sulfide gas formed," Ms. Corriher said. My browning of the brussels sprouts on the stovetop was shorter than that. In the oven, the transfer of heat from hot air to vegetable occurs more slowly than immersion in boiling water."
-----------------------

I fucking love roasted brussels sprouts. I usually take a pound of the tasty little bastards and slice them in half, toss in olive oil w/ salt, pepper and garlic and roast for 40 minutes at 425. I can eat the whole pile of 'em.
1/19/09 9:45 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Tahiti Bo
61 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Retired, Tahuna
 ttt

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.