UnderGround Forums

Food & Wine Ground >> I am doing a brisket this weekend....

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

1/7/09 11:46 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Mark1
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

..in the smoker.  I am gonna use a dry rub and smoke it over mesquite, alder and apple.

What kind of bbq sauce would you recommend.

Mark
1/8/09 2:40 AM
Mullet @ Heart
59 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Variety is the spice of life.

Best of luck. Brisket is a challenge.
1/8/09 4:05 AM
jaydub
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i heart brisket...
1/8/09 4:58 AM
jaydub
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Here's a recipe I love

2 3-4 lb briskets

Dry rub
Salt
Pepper
Paprika
Cumin
Garlic powder
Onion powder
Cayenne
mustard

Wine sauce/ mopping sauce

2 Cups red wine
2/3 Cup water
8 tbl ketchup
2 tbl red wine vinegar
2 tsp mustard seeds
½ tsp salt
1tsp pepper
Fat rendering

- Let Brisket come to room temperature and season with dry rub
- Place in smoker fat side up
- Smoke for 4 hours at 225 and remove and place in tinfoil
- Smoke for another 4 hours
- Remove from tinfoil and put add juices to wine sauce mixture
- Bring all components from wine sauce together and simmer for 20 minutes adjusting to taste
- Put back in tinfoil with ½ cup of wine sauce and smoke for another hour or so or until internal temp is 185-190 degrees
1/10/09 12:20 PM
screwtop wine
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mullet @ Heart - 
Best of luck. Brisket is a challenge.

I've not tried a brisket yet. What makes it a challenge, the long cook time, or something else?
1/10/09 12:30 PM
crescentwrench
405 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mark1 - What kind of bbq sauce would you recommend.
Warm, tangy, a little tomatoey, and on the side.

The long cook time is one, it has a smaller window of fucking up than, say, pork butt which is pretty much idiot proof. 

1/10/09 4:18 PM
screwtop wine
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It's -22 outside before the wind chill, so I'm only planning long smoking sessions, not actually doing them right now. For someone who lives in an area where smoking is not that common, and brisket is hard to find, any suggestions, reccomendation,etc on doing a brisket? I'd hate to fuckup 8 or so pounds of meat.
1/11/09 1:39 AM
Mullet @ Heart
59 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

screwtop wine - I've not tried a brisket yet. What makes it a challenge, the long cook time, or something else?

Like C-dub said, pulled pork is idiot-proof. Put your thermometer in, and remove the pork when it reaches temperature.

Brisket isn't all about internal temperature. You actually gotta check it once in a while. With an electric smoker, every time you open the door, you lose all your heat and it can take a long time to recover.
1/11/09 5:37 PM
hauchinango

Mark,

Sounds like you are putting the new smoker to use. How did it turn out? I have done a ton of briskets over time, and have fine tuned my method to work with my smoker.

I prefer to use post oak or pecan wood, as mesquite gets a bit too smokey. Apple sounds good, but is pretty pricey around here (Texas).

I usually smoke one for 8 hrs. The last 4 hrs I wrap it in foil to retain the moisture. This is a touchy subject, as some consider doing this blasphemy, but the results cannot be ignored. Also, BBQ suace on a good brisket is like A1 on a steak....if it is done right, no need for the sauce, but it comes down to a personal preference. Also, just an FYI, dont slice it too soon. Once you take it off the fire, unwrap it and let it sit for an hour.

The most important part is to make sure you save all the cut-off fatty parts and throw that in with some other slices. With leftovers, finely chop that stuff and mix in enough BBQ sauce to make a good chopped beef sandwhich. Add a few jalapenos and you are set.
1/20/09 11:41 PM
ilovetortillas
316 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i love brisket
1/21/09 12:19 PM
Mullet @ Heart

results?
1/21/09 12:22 PM
Mark1

ilovetortillas - i love brisket

Cool.  COme over and we will cuddle and eat brisket.

Mark
1/21/09 12:24 PM
Mark1

Mullet @ Heart - results?

No results.  The brisket plan got called off due to the fact that we got like 8-10" of snow when I was planning to smoke it.

Mark
1/21/09 7:40 PM
Tys
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Smoke it in your basement when the weather sucks!
1/21/09 10:07 PM
ilovetortillas
316 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

:(
1/21/09 10:40 PM
Mark1

^^^ I'll make it up to you one day....

Mark
1/21/09 10:55 PM
ilovetortillas

:)
1/23/09 6:11 PM
tarado4
525 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

for brisket, I like to make a Jack Daniels based BBQ sauce.

do a Google for recipes - there are a few that have molasses and JD that are really good with smoked beef
1/26/09 1:19 PM
Extendo
164 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ha, they opened a Rowe Farms down the street from me. Organic and all that.

They wanted $60 plus taxes for an eight pound brisket!
1/27/09 12:07 AM
jaydub

Did you tell them to get fucked?

Brisket should be one of the cheapest parts of the cow...it only turns out good with a good slow cook.
1/27/09 10:42 AM
crescentwrench
405 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Should be, and is.  But only if you're in the right part of the country.  Here in TX it's cheap as balls, if it goes over $2.50/lb it's outrageous.  But when I lived in VA I would see it for $7-8/lb.  Fuck me.  But pork shoulder would be $.50/lb there so I couldn't complain too much.  
1/27/09 12:26 PM
Extendo
164 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I basically told them that their pricing wasn't representative of the cut of meat regardless of how they raised their cows. Their whole business is built on this model so it wouldn't have done a damn.

Pork is cheap as hell here. I guess it is about where you live.
3/28/09 1:22 AM
sabrutat

CW - You're back in Tejas?

Cheers

Stef

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.