UnderGround Forums

Weapons UnderGround >> 1911 worth the money?

1/9/09 12:24 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
spider guard
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What are your opinions of a 1911? Is it really worth the money? I reading differing reviews about it's reliability. I currently own Glocks and I never worry about them going bang when the trigger is pulled, but I also wanted to get a 1911 for the collection. Should I just stick to polymers?
1/10/09 12:19 AM
moonrunrs
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I have Glock and also a Smith Wesson 1911. I was surprised at how often it jams, even with factory load ammo. My Glock has never jammed once in over 15 years use even with cheap reloads.

That said, I think for self-defense the 1911 is fine and I really like it -- VERY accurate, ergonomic, safe, etc. My jams are after about 50 rounds when the powder fouling causes failure to feed. If I ever have to shoot someone, I doubt I'll fire more than 50 rounds at him.
1/12/09 1:59 AM
Skpotamus
36 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Most 1911's have too many bells and whistles on them to function properly. When you get one, you typically have to work on it to make it run correctly, kind of a tinkerer's gun. From my experience the closer to baseline the 1911 is, the better it tends to run.

I used to carry my 1911's, but ended up switching to a glock 21.
Comparing a fullsize 1911 to my glock:

Glock is lighter

Higher mag capacity - Glock holds 13 rounds in the mag. A standard 1911 holds 7 or 8.

Glock is a lot more reliable in adverse conditions.

For the most part, you can substitute "glock" with sig, XD, or S&W M&P and get the same comparisions.

Keep your 1911's clean and well lubed and full of good ammo and it should run fine after the break in period. Never clean your glock/sig/XD/M&P and put crappy rounds through it and it should run fine as well.
7/21/09 5:36 AM
1911fanatic

A well put together 1911 can be reliable, much more accurate, easy pointing, and very ergonomic. Easily my favorite weapon, I have a couple of Wilson Combats, one Les Baer, a couple of Kimbers and a Springfield. My 5'2 inch wife is deadly with her Kimber TLE/RL.
7/21/09 11:04 PM
RDS

I love the 1911 platform and the .45 round. However, I like Glocks and XDs in 9mm for capacity and cheaper ammo. However, if you've got the coin to spend on a bad ass 1911 like a Wilson Id go for it. I plan on buying one someday when I make some money. I've shot some high end 1911 and they are a ton of fun to shoot. Im a decent shooter normally, with my friend's 1911 Im damn near surgical.
8/8/09 2:19 PM
Dark Knight
307 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I own two Springfield 1911's.

I didnt stay with Springfield for any big reason, just the right price for a 1911. One is a full size 5 inch barrel, the other is a 3 inch.

I had night sights and a better hammer and beavertail safty put on the Springfield (buy the lower cost ones and they dont com with it).

i love them both, I would reccomend the Officer size instead of the micro compact. Lotta kick for a little gun. I carry them both, the 3 in more oftem
9/22/09 12:58 AM
krept
69 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

IMO, good 1911s are worth the money in a similar manner that Glocks are worth the money, considering how much the Glock costs in terms of manufacturing.

I think perhaps another equally fair question would be, "is the 1911 platform worth the time spent to become truly proficient with?"

There are a lot of platforms that come close in perfomance with a significantly lower learning curve, IMO. Given that 'caveman simple' is a reliable philosophy when things get ugly, I feel this is a valid consideration.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.