UnderGround Forums

MotorGround >> Suggestions for a good used car under $5k?

1/11/09 11:58 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Elias Cepeda
185 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hey all, I'm looking for something good, reliable that I won't have to do work on and that will likely last for a couple years.  Any suggestions? I've seen everything from Toyotas to Hondas to BMWs in that category.

Any tips, pitfalls to watch out for or misc. advice? Thanks!
1/12/09 1:09 AM
walbjj
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

the first question is to set some criteria. what size car r u after? what is it going to be used for? will a sedan/hatch/pickup/wagon be the ideal choice.
what features do u want- air, power everything, sportiness, fun factor, or just a to b car?

imo, if u want something reliable, efficient and hassle free, u cant go past a toyota corolla or honda civic. make sure it has a full service history with accompanying service sheets, preferably only 1 or 2 owners, anything up to 150k km is fine as long as its serviced and maintained

im not too clued up with the american branded cars seeing as in australia we only have the japanese and holden and ford as the main brands, but in my experience, nothing beats a honda for reliability. and if u find or know a great independent mechanic that works on hondas, then u get great servicing at great prices. my honda s2000 only cost me aud$100 for basic servicing and aud$400 for the majors
1/12/09 10:20 AM
Elias Cepeda
185 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thanks for the input. The only criteria I'm looking for is reliable, in that price range. I don't care what kind, color, or even other features really. Fuel efficiency would be nice and so would ABS.
1/12/09 11:21 AM
Elias Cepeda

I'll be using it to drive at least several times a week but not necessarily every day. Mostly getting around the city and suburbs
1/12/09 12:33 PM
Govnor
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

At under 5k it's going to be a bit of a shot in the dark. If you're not good with cars, I'd take someone along with you who is to give it a good look over.

Do you do city or highway driving mostly?
1/12/09 1:06 PM
Elias Cepeda

Combo of both, maybe slight edge to city driving. Thanks for the input. I will have to bring someone along to give any car a good look over
1/12/09 1:06 PM
Elias Cepeda

Can an educated person be able to tell what needs to be known from looking it over?
1/12/09 2:33 PM
Mark1

The only Honda you will find under $5k will be a 1995 Civic with 147k miles.

Mark
1/12/09 2:34 PM
Mark1

and don't even think about trying to offer less.  They will get all pissy.

Mark
1/12/09 2:34 PM
Govnor

Looking for possible issues in the engine area. Damage on/under the car that the avg person might miss.

Whatever you get will have high mileage, just be prepared for that.
1/12/09 5:40 PM
Elias Cepeda

Mark and Gov, and what does it mean to be prepared for high mileage? Should I expect the car to crap out in a few monhts, need a bunch of work (which I don't want to do) or would some cars last for a couple years with 100k plus mileage in your opinions?

thanks again
1/12/09 8:46 PM
billcosbiguez

a nice hybrid schwin. more reliable and will get you in better shape.
1/13/09 11:49 AM
Govnor

Just that cars last a long time these days. Do a search on autotrader with your 5k, you'll be lucky to get anything with less than 100k. But you should still see some decent mileage out of it if it's in decent shape.
1/13/09 2:52 PM
Elias Cepeda

billcosbiguez - a nice hybrid schwin. more reliable and will get you in better shape.
I've rocked the bike for a long time my man :)

Thanks again Govnor.

1/14/09 8:21 AM
billcosbiguez

MAYBE YOU CAN GET A GOOD DEAL AT A POLICE AUCTION
1/14/09 1:54 PM
Robert Wynne
87 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ford Ranger, those little boxes run forever.
1/14/09 4:19 PM
Elias Cepeda

oh yeah? Can I get one in that price range you think?
And I have thought about auctions but have no experience with them. Anyone have advice about taking part in one?
3/23/09 6:06 AM
wrestlerguy04
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You find anyhting?
3/23/09 6:24 PM
Elias Cepeda

hey wrestler, haven't bought anything yet but am seeing that there is stuff out there. have any suggestions?

Been looking at Honda's Toyotas and oldBMW's and Benzes mostly
3/24/09 1:19 AM
macdawg

I bought a Ford Contour SE (2.5l V-6) a few months ago is in excellent shape and 100% reliable, 92k, for $2200. I'll baby it and should last a couple years easy. You can find deals out there, you might be able to find a deal on an accord on craigslist but used hondas are usually overpriced. Take whatever you find by an auto shop for an inspection to see if the car has issues, should only be $15 or $20, or take a friend who knows cars and have him make sure you have decent tires, look for leaks, make sure heat/cooling works, make sure transmission fluid is clear and test drive it.
3/24/09 4:17 AM
wrestlerguy04
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Personally I'd look into an integra or an accord..they're gonna be cheaper in the long run..insurance, gas, up keep, if you'd ever decide to want to make it quicker, stuff like that..and for 5000 you can buy a pretty nice one..what zip are you in?? I'll do some legwork for you if you'd like..
3/24/09 4:18 AM
wrestlerguy04

Plus you gut the reliability going for you as well..
3/24/09 3:14 PM
Elias Cepeda

thanks wrestler. My zip is 60608. I've adjusted my price to around $2,500 so that I have the other half for insurance, upkeep etc. for a while.

mac, thanks man. A buddy of mine who is a mechanic has been helping me check them out. He's been a big help. I was thinking about the inspection thing...what do you have them do? run diagnostics?
Thanks
3/25/09 9:52 AM
wrestlerguy04

Wow so looks like your area doesn't have much on aototrader..even within 300 miles..here in Az it's much different..

here's whats in your area..I'll do a little more searching when the boss isn't here..
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/searchresults.jsp?num_records=25&search_lang=en&page_location=findacar%3A%3Aispsearchform&search_type=both&distance=300&address=60608&marketZipError=false&style_flag=1&make=HONDA&model=ACCORD&make2=ACURA&model2=INTEG&make3=NISSAN&model3=MAX&start_year=1994&end_year=2010&min_price=&max_price=2700&seller_type=p&transmission=&engine=&drive=&doors=&fuel=&max_mileage=&color=&keywordsrep=&keywordsfyc=&keywords_display=&sort_type=priceDESC&body_code=0&certified=&advanced=&highlightFirstMakeModel=&showZipError=n&default_sort=priceDESC&awsp=false&keywordsrep=&keywordsfyc=&systime=&sownerid=36949028&rdm=1237988779278
3/25/09 9:58 AM
wrestlerguy04

Edited: 03/25/09 9:58 AM
 Or there's http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/pts/1088154465.html 

Oops you changed your price..

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.