UnderGround Forums

SurvivalGround >> Survival Retreat Real Estate?

1/16/09 12:30 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
smileythai
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Are there realtors out there who cater to the survivalist, as in focusing on hunting cabins, retreats, and remote locations? I could swear I saw mention of it somewhere awhile ago, I'm just at a loss now.

1/16/09 7:43 AM
Todd22

http://www.survivalrealty.com/

this one is from survival blog
1/16/09 8:26 AM
smileythai

http://www.survivalrealty.com

Yep, that's the one. Thanks!
1/18/09 2:41 PM
dunc
41 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i like the colorado bear den and alabama retreat
1/18/09 4:15 PM
ClayK

My folks live in Missouri, the couple of properties on teh AR/MO border look usable and the price is great!
1/18/09 9:54 PM
smileythai

If I had the money to spend I'd zero in on some of the Idaho properties. Though limited listings, Maine is interesting as well.

1/19/09 9:49 PM
smarmysmile

Ideally I'm looking for two plots. First would be a primary residence set on acreage in/around an area with with adequate population, medical care, and modern conveniences, etc while the other serves as a secondary hunting/bug out cabin somewhere rural, like perhaps towards the Quebec border of the lakes/mountain regions or butted up to a state or national park.

The primary residence is to be set up conventionally in terms of survivalism, ie: defensible, clean water source, mature land, food/supply storage, self-sufficient energy, etc...

The bug out cabin being essentially like the listing you posted(iirc) on another thread. Vast acreage, no frills, and reachable via atv/snow machine or on foot.

1/19/09 10:18 PM
smarmysmile

Yeah, that was the one I remember.

Price is definitely a concern. Not looking for a rural Beverly Hills, but at the same time I don't mind investing in my own Walton mountain, either. lol

But, I'm curious. Is $1k an acre is typical in Maine? If so, that's not bad.

1/20/09 11:54 AM
Possible Human

Anybody have any cheap building plans for a camp? I'd like to start building this summer, but I can't transport many materials to the job site or leave them there since it is 100+ miles from my primary resident.

I'd eventually want to use it as a base to build a more self-sufficient building next to it.

I'm fine with framing the place out, doing the electrical outlets and lights (maybe have power from the street in preparation for installing a solar and wind combo kit), and running the plumbing once I have a well and septic in. I have never done any roof work, so resources on both roofing (think I'll go with corrugated metal for life of the roof) and installing a rainwater casement system would be cool.

Thanks.
1/20/09 9:02 PM
smarmysmile

Hmm... That second listing is interesting. Is the structure okay? Seems a little less than square from the photo. But if not, it's not bad.

Obviously, the more land, water, and remoteness thereof the better, but I'd say 5-10 acres on the primary residence and 20+ on the bug out cabin are preferable. Really depends on where it's situated, though. Both residences butted up to parks or private land(ie: hunting parcel or commercial logging forests) not likely to see development are ideal, both to preserve privacy/remoteness and as an evacuation route in the case of emergency.

2/3/09 12:44 PM
sparkyman
43 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Check out the 'owner/builder' forum. It's amazing what people have built for very little.

http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php

Great forum idea here by the way.
2/3/09 5:58 PM
smarmysmile

I'll definitely check it out. Thanks!

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.