UnderGround Forums

SurvivalGround >> Survival Fitness

1/18/09 11:56 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Possible Human
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Anybody ever think about this? I think doing long hikes and walks with a heavy pack would be an essential starting point. No matter how much high intensity stuff you are doing, it really doesn't prep your body for a long sustained effort.
1/18/09 3:23 PM
cypherpunk

jiu-jitsu?
1/18/09 3:55 PM
Possible Human

Naw. Jitz is great, but that really doesn't prepare you for the demands of survivalist living.
1/18/09 4:48 PM
Possible Human

Anybody read Stew Smith's "Maximum Fitness"? Stew Smith was a SEAL, a SEAL trainer, and helped create the indoc course for BUD/S physical fitness. It's different from his "12 Weeks to BUD/s" book in that it contains a 52-week program of crosstraining consisting of 4 seperate 13 week cycles:

1) Prep

2) BWE, Running, Biking, and Swimming centric

3) Lighter on endurance work along with prep for weights

4) Weight-centric with only maintenance endurance work.

I figure you could swap out some running, biking, and swimming workouts every week for rucksack marches and hikes. That'd give you a pretty good base.
1/18/09 8:00 PM
ClayK

How much movement are you guys planning on making? My initial mental plan "A" is to have a base camp and move around it on foot for food/water and such.
1/18/09 8:39 PM
Possible Human

That's really a best case scenario. It would be great if that were the situation, and even if it were, it would help to be conditioned to move about for miles per day packing gear and food on your back. If that weren't the situation, then it becomes exponentially more important.
1/18/09 9:30 PM
ClayK

True.
1/22/10 1:03 AM
romadant

I think it's really important. Not just for SHTF survival... but even emergency/outdoor survival. Overall fitness and conditioning are mentioned very often when you read Search and Rescue stories about survivors.
1/24/10 2:54 PM
droc

I do all my running in a forest with a backpack. It's not much right now as I've only started back getting fit. I bring the boy with me on his bike and I've spent a few years getting him used to walking distances.

Long hikes with a backpack are important IMO, you hope not to be in a situation where you need it, but you plan for it just in case.

DROC
1/25/10 1:13 PM
disbeliever
256 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Karate katas obviously

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.