UnderGround Forums

RugbyGround >> Best pro-club team in the world?

1/19/09 9:40 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
nathan@aristeia
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Munster? I don't know Super 14 teams that well. Thoughts?
1/21/09 2:27 PM
seg
77 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

1/22/09 8:37 AM
nathan@aristeia

seg have the ever had the best of each league and play each other?
1/22/09 4:44 PM
seg
77 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Do you mean like having the winner of the Super 14 play the winner of the Heineken Cup?  Not to my knowledge.

On a positive note, I am supposed to start receiving the Setanta sports channel this weekend, which will give me access to Northern Hemisphere rugby.  I'm in the US, and to date have been limited to watching mainly Super 14 and Tri-Nations on the interweb, so I don't know too much about the Northern Hemisphere teams.

Soon I will be posting much more of my analysis and thoughts on rugby.  I am sure you all look forward to my posts.
1/28/09 2:12 AM
Squatdog

I remember back in 1997, the Auckland Blues played the European champions (some French club, I can't recall which) and kicked the living crap out of them. The French captain described the game as 'like being in a washing machine'.
1/28/09 1:53 PM
seg

2/15/09 3:38 PM
LordSeano
274 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Squatdog - I remember back in 1997, the Auckland Blues played the European champions (some French club, I can't recall which) and kicked the living crap out of them. The French captain described the game as 'like being in a washing machine'.

Well given it was effectively pro vs amateur I'm not surprised. Be interesting to see it nowadays
2/15/09 3:38 PM
LordSeano
274 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Squatdog - I remember back in 1997, the Auckland Blues played the European champions (some French club, I can't recall which) and kicked the living crap out of them. The French captain described the game as 'like being in a washing machine'.

Well given it was effectively pro vs amateur I'm not surprised. Be interesting to see it nowadays
2/15/09 4:58 PM
Squatdog

Nope.

The European clubs had rich sugardaddies paying the bills by that stage.
2/16/09 4:22 AM
LordSeano

Lol you are really stretching if you are describing northern hemisphere rugby as anthing even remotely resembling professional circa 1997.
2/17/09 9:30 AM
seg

Edited: 02/17/09 9:30 AM
LordSeano - Lol you are really stretching if you are describing northern hemisphere rugby as anthing even remotely resembling professional circa 1997.

Or now, for that matter. 

2/17/09 9:38 AM
LordSeano

Lol

The heineken cup is to the northern hemisphere international teams as the Premier League is to the English footy team.

I would rather watch it than the glorified touch rugby of the Super 14 any day.
2/17/09 12:37 PM
seg

^The Heineken Cup, otherwise known as the league where formerly washed up Super 14 players go and dominate.
2/17/09 4:21 PM
LordSeano

That would be such washed up old farts as Dan Carter, Victor Matfield, JOhn Smith, Carl Hayman, Chris Jack, Jerry Collins, MOntgomery, Butch James etc etc
2/17/09 6:53 PM
Squatdog

LordSeano - Lol

The heineken cup is to the northern hemisphere international teams as the Premier League is to the English footy team.

I would rather watch it than the glorified touch rugby of the Super 14 any day.

The Heineken Cup is like the Elephants Graveyard for Rugby players.

Percy Montgomery is nearly in his 40s for fucks sake, lol!
3/25/09 3:46 PM
Squatdog

Because they can get paid obscene amounts for palying in a sub-standard competetion.

It's the same reason Troy Flavell spent two years playing in Japan.
3/25/09 6:57 PM
Squatdog

The only reason for any southern hemisphere player to compete in the Heineken Cup (or whatever) is the MONEY, it's as simple as that.

Someone like Dan Carter can get paid triple what they'd make from the NZRFU for cruising in a European B-Grade competition. Another classic example is Sonny Bill Williams recieving an obscene amount to defect to Union and play for some French club. Do you really think he turned his back on League (earning the undying emnity of it's supporters) just for the 'challenge'? LOL!
3/26/09 10:31 AM
LordSeano

Its true - your world cup record is frankly embarrassing compared to australia, england and south africa
3/26/09 3:34 PM
Squatdog

It is 100% solely the money.

Retirees like Carlos Spencer have stated that the Heinken Cup is at the level of the domestic NPC competition at best.

How many northern hemisphere teams have actaually won the World Cup? That's right...ONE (and even that was a fluke)

LOL!!!
3/27/09 4:28 AM
LordSeano

Lol you are definitely trolling
3/28/09 6:20 AM
LordSeano

Lol northboy thats just teeing one up for him. Bad example
3/28/09 6:39 AM
Squatdog

Edited: 03/28/09 6:41 AM
LOL...you can't dispute that what I'm saying is 100% correct.

The ONLY reason sourthern hemisphere players join a Heineken Cup team is when they get offered a massive sum of money well in excess of what they could earn from their home union. It's the same with Japan and was the same back in the 80s when John Kirwan and Craig Green (among others) would get paid under the table by Italian clubs.

Inga Tuigamala (who played for Newcastle) stated that the Heineken Cup was on par with the local NPC competition when you had two of the top sides playing, but was closer to the NPC Second Division overall. He also stated that a strong suburban club side like Ponsonby or Marist would beat a lot of the lower ranked sides.

Also, having the stronger club competition doesn't neccesarily translate to the international game. At least half Samaoa's team was made up of players competing in the suburban or low tier leagues in New Zealand and Australia, but they still beat Wales, whose players competed in the 'elite' European competition.
3/28/09 6:53 AM
The MIGHTY Bishop

When was the last time Tuigamala played in Europe? 1997? It's 2009 now....

Romania also beat Wales in the 1980's
3/28/09 7:13 AM
Squatdog

Samoa has beaten Wales three times, with the majority of their players drawn from low level domestic competitions in New Zealand and Australia.

Inga Tuigamala was still playing for Newcastle into the early 2000s.
3/28/09 7:25 AM
The MIGHTY Bishop

And when have Newcastle ever been a force in the Heineken Cup?

Wales have also been able to beat South Africa, England, France and Australia in recent years.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.