UnderGround Forums

SurvivalGround >> Firearms

2/19/09 12:25 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
kanotoa
179 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I am not a good shooter so I have a 12 gauge and a Glock with a laser sight for home defense. I am looking for a rifle that is cheap, reliable, easy to service and shoots cheap bullets in case i have to hunt.
2/21/09 12:22 PM
Possible Human
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

So I finally got my Kel-tec the other day. Pictures really can't begin to show just how small this thing is. My dealer and I were laughing about how we had to refer to it as a "rifle". Right now, it is sitting in a laptop bag in my gun cabinet. I'll take pictures of it next to common things later and post them, so you can get an idea of just how compact it is.

On a side note, I am a little disappointed with the magazine size. It's mags can work in a Glock 19, but not vice versa. It needs Glock 17 magazines. The Glock 19 magazines are too short to reach the chamber. I was hoping to share mags with my 10 Glock 19 mags, but apparently I'll have to get some Glock 17 magazines now.
2/23/09 3:56 PM
Possible Human

"Why not just replace 1 and 4 with an M-1A (or an actual M-14 if you can get one)? "

Sorry. Just saw this. Price would be the main reason.
2/24/09 5:33 PM
kanotoa
179 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I am also getting a stainless mini 14 ranch
2/24/09 5:45 PM
Possible Human

What are you going to hunt with a mini-14?
2/24/09 6:41 PM
armlok
121 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Kanatao lives on Kauai, a mini is a decent enough bush gun for pigs and deer there. While not my first choice, they've always been popular for busting brush, hunting ravines and gulches. In proper working order and with good mags they're reliable.
2/24/09 6:54 PM
Possible Human

^^ Makes sense ^^^

Still a mini-14 seems pretty price comparable these days compared to a cheap AR.
2/24/09 7:04 PM
armlok
121 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Cheap and AR don't go together here in Hawaii.

Add to that, cheap off brand ARs are not the bargains people believe them to be.....at least ime. I'd rather a broke-in and maintained mini with good mags than a cheapy off-name AR for secondary defensive use.
2/25/09 1:54 PM
kanotoa

What would be a good scope to put on my Ranch? I am a shitty shooter compared to most gun owners. I saw a guy at the rifle range with a red dot scope. he let me shoot his mini 14 and i was consistently hitting an 8" target at about 50-60 yards.

I value durability, ease of use, and reliability over absolute accuracy.

Thank you in advance.
2/25/09 2:03 PM
kanotoa

One more question Armlok or whoever, after reading the Argentinian collapse blog I really want to get a pistol for my wife. My wife isn't very strong and she has never really shot a gun, but I would teach her.

I was looking for a gun that is reliable, easy to use, has minimal recoil and is small. I like my Glock 27 but I think the recoil would be too much for her. Would a 9mm be better or should I go for a .32 or even a .22 auto. I know about the lack of stopping power with the smaller rounds but if my wife can place a small bullet(s) better than a large caliber pistol that might be better IMO. This would be carried only if things started to get like Argentiana.

My wife likes to go walking with her other friends when i am at work. The trails she walks are pretty safe but i would prefer if she had some protection. For now i tell her to carry a knife and/or pepper spray.
2/25/09 2:11 PM
Possible Human

"I know about the lack of stopping power with the smaller rounds but if my wife can place a small bullet(s) better than a large caliber pistol that might be better IMO. This would be carried only if things started to get like Argentiana."

I was thinking along the same lines. I was looking at a Walther P22 for the little lady.
2/25/09 5:18 PM
Possible Human

^^ Ha! She'd love that.
2/25/09 6:03 PM
Possible Human

I wonder why they engineered it like that.
2/25/09 10:02 PM
ClayK

kvr28 -  I got my wife this for x-mas

she use to have a new england firearms 9 shot revolver that she liked to

I'm buying one for myself next month. Not pink of course.
2/25/09 10:24 PM
armlok

Kanotoa,
9mm Glock, nuff said. You're already running the plateform so why not stick to it. It would be better to standardize one caliber, again 9mm because better to train to the lowest common denominator, get one caliber supply and very abundant.

here is my advice on optics, get the best you can afford. I'm not up on mounts for the mini, my buddy has researched it a bit last year,but I kinda don't remember much that we discussed. Get a decent quality optics manufacturer and a solid mount then test it vigorously, PMI often and don't abuse neglet it if you're gonna get one.

Only gun mounted optics I use are scopes for my tacrifles and a Leupy scout on my hunting rifle. I like the simplicity of irons on carbines (ARs) when I had them and I was good enough to shoot movers, run and gun, and precision shoot just fine. To me optics is one more thing to go wrong and you don't have a supply system to supply batteries and replacement if it goes down.
2/26/09 4:09 PM
Chilito

Possible Human - "Why not just replace 1 and 4 with an M-1A (or an actual M-14 if you can get one)? "

Sorry. Just saw this. Price would be the main reason.

I might get some flames for this, but if youre on a budget, i'd look into getting a Garand. It's chambered in 30-06. Only downside is it's clip-fed and it only holds 8 i believe. You can get a used one for a very reasonable price from the civilian marksmanship program (500-900, depending on condition). Benefit is that the 06 ammo would be extremely easy to get (it's not seen as one of the "scary assault rifle" rounds, although it is ballisticly almost identical to the 7.62 NATO).
2/26/09 4:24 PM
Kip Kinkle
48 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ClayK - 

I would reconsider if I were you. Those Walthers jam like crazy.
2/27/09 1:21 PM
kanotoa

Would a .22 rifle be worth a dam? Ammo is so expensive here but .22 is relatively dirt cheap and I can buy in at K Mart.

I know I can't bring down anything bigger that a bird or small dog with it but I am mainly wanting it for target practice for me and my family and perhaps light hunting.
2/27/09 1:55 PM
armlok

.22lr rifle and pistol...YES!

If you develop a little skill you can get within close range, like bowhunting, and take a deer with a headshot using the .22. If I had a .22 when bowhunting, I'd have bagged deers like crazy instead of getting busted on the draw and trying to get clear of brush, etc.
3/1/09 3:15 PM
ClayK

Kip Kinkle - 
ClayK - 

Got a better suggestion for a .22 semi auto pistol? Roughly the same price.
3/1/09 4:14 PM
Kip Kinkle
48 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ClayK - 
Kip Kinkle - 
ClayK - 

Got a better suggestion for a .22 semi auto pistol? Roughly the same price.

I have a Beretta Neos .22 that I love. Doesn't jam on any ammo, is dead-on-balls accurate, and is extremely comfortable to handle (unlike the Walther, where my pinky finger wouldn't fit on the grip or the Smith and Wesson .22 whose grip was approximately the same dimensions as a can of beer). Expect to pay $250 - $280.
3/1/09 4:15 PM
Kip Kinkle

Beretta Neos .22 
3/2/09 8:55 PM
Todd22

thats a nice gun kvr!
3/2/09 10:20 PM
Link

"There is a gun shop in Woburn (MA) that carries them although they get them mostly in .40 s&w and not 9mm. I can't remember the name."

Four Seasons Gun Shop on Winn St.

www.fsguns.com
3/3/09 11:02 PM
gregbrady

kanotoa - Would a .22 rifle be worth a dam? Ammo is so expensive here but .22 is relatively dirt cheap and I can buy in at K Mart.

I know I can't bring down anything bigger that a bird or small dog with it but I am mainly wanting it for target practice for me and my family and perhaps light hunting.

Don't believe the hype about the .22lr. That kid in Alaska killed a Moose with a .22lr in a rifle. The biggest grizzly ever taken was killed with a .22 bolt-action rifle with one shot to the head. The .22lr is a legitimate round unfortunately caliber discussions are usually penis measuring contests and everyone usually thinks you need a .308 to kill a rabbit. Many many ppl have lived off of the land with nothing but a .22 rifle.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.