UnderGround Forums

SurvivalGround >> Knife thead

1/20/09 8:06 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Vantagepoint
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

http://www.fallkniven.com/a1f1/a1_en.html

I just picked up one of these. Its the standard knife for the Swedish military and I have only had great experience with it. I bought the metalic blade to be able to make signals of the blade. Its sturdy enough to be able to use as a machete and sharp enough to be able to use for carving. I'll be able to put up a windbreaker in 5 minutes with this beauty.

I also have the SOG scuba knife as my backup.

What are you guys sporting?
1/20/09 11:19 AM
gordy

My two main knives are a busse meaner streets and a swamprat ratmandu. Both pretty much indestructable and both low maintenence.

I've only ever used f1's and a thor by fallkniven but if the a1 is anything like the f1 then you've got a great knife.
1/20/09 12:18 PM
smartin
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

That swedish knife is almost identical to the Cold steel blade that is issued to B.U.D.S trainees. I have one and it is a work horse of a blade.
1/20/09 1:07 PM
johnnypayne
56 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Benchmade ruckus is starting to take over for me, though some people find it a little too big.
1/20/09 3:50 PM
DamirioN
23 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I've been considering getting a Fallkniven.. Perhaps that's next.

Right now I'm using a Kabar Next-Gen (1221) and when it arrives, a 9 3/4" CRKT Ultima. As far as a knife that I have on me at all times, that award goes to my Cold Steel Ti-lite. I actually bought it as a novelty thing, but it's usefulness has far far far exceeded my expectations. I also quite like the blade on my Leatherman ALX (154cm clip-point).
1/21/09 10:16 AM
gordy

I've never been a big fan of folders but if i was to get one it would be the Benchmade ruckus or the newer smaller model.
1/22/09 7:48 PM
LeroyJ

http://www.almarknives.com/images/SERE.jpg

with custom serrations added...I love this knife
1/23/09 2:08 AM
smarmysmile

smartin - That swedish knife is almost identical to the Cold steel blade that is issued to B.U.D.S trainees. I have one and it is a work horse of a blade.
Save for the BUD/S anecdote I was thinking the same thing. Cold Steel's SRK:

But re: BUD/S, aren't they still issued the MK III?

1/23/09 2:12 AM
smarmysmile

But as for me, at around $30 I think the USAF Survival Knife is hard to beat:

Ontario Knife Company Military Issue Air Force Survival Knife w/Sheath

1/23/09 9:20 AM
smartin
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

That's the knife. The reason they issue the cold steel blade is that it is high carbon and aside from keeping a nice edge they rust easy. He said it was a pain in the ass to keep the blade clean and rust free. You have to present your knife during inspection. Just one more thing to make BUDS a pain in the ass. It's a good general purpose blade, but not a good dive knife. Saltwater reeks havoc on high carbon blades.
1/24/09 2:43 AM
smarmysmile

Interesting. Makes perfect sense, just didn't know they'd replaced the MK III.

1/26/09 7:31 PM
The Kangaroo
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

K-bar's are fucking awesome. I keep one in the nightstand.
1/28/09 4:29 AM
Vantagepoint

smarmysmile -
smartin - That swedish knife is almost identical to the Cold steel blade that is issued to B.U.D.S trainees. I have one and it is a work horse of a blade.
Save for the BUD/S anecdote I was thinking the same thing. Cold Steel's SRK:

That thing looks almost exactly like the one I have. When I find something that works I ushually stick by (Im still sporting my old Berghaus Trident backpack and swear its the best one still, despite all the advances made in loadbearing systems lately) it but Im curious if anyone tried both knives and have any opinions. I know Cold steel makes good knives so maby I should have looked around a bit more before getting the A1.
1/28/09 10:45 AM
smartin

The srk is top notch. The sheath system is nice too because it has a velcro and snap attachment. You can take it on and off of your belt without unfastening your belt.
2/18/09 2:30 PM
kanotoa
141 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I just go for good cheap knives at Wally world.
2/18/09 10:22 PM
ChiggidyChops

are the gerber infantry knives any good?

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.