UnderGround Forums

SurvivalGround >> Good fire starter

1/21/09 2:26 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Pecker
64 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In the past, I've experimented with different kinds of tinder/starters. An easy one to carry in a plastic bag is cotton balls dipped in petrolium jelly. works great!
1/21/09 10:12 AM
gordy
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 01/21/09 11:15 AM
Birch bark all ways works well because of it's high oil content.

Just cut some off a fallen branch and use you knife to fluff up the edge of the bark.It will catch a spark easy.
1/21/09 1:21 PM
WHIPCRACK

Pecker -  In the past, I've experimented with different kinds of tinder/starters. An easy one to carry in a plastic bag is cotton balls dipped in petrolium jelly. works great!

It's this kind of post...............that makes me love this Sub forum even more.  What a great yet simple idea.
1/21/09 2:24 PM
Pecker
64 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Medicine bottles work well too.
1/21/09 7:03 PM
dunc
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You can also substitute dryer lint for the cotton balls
1/22/09 11:03 PM
ClayK

I store dryer lint in quart sized ziplocks.

I also use a magnesium and steel fire starter.
1/23/09 12:44 AM
smartin
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

9v battery+steel wool
1/23/09 1:09 AM
Pecker

Tea light candles work well too. You can get 100 for less than 5 bucks and they burn for 3-4 hours each.
1/23/09 1:35 AM
smarmysmile

Armbreaker v2.1 - dryer lint is seriously flammable..like dangerously if it catches a spark. take come cardboard egg cartons (like the kind you get when you buy 2 and a half dozen eggs). put dryer lint in each one, and pour melted wax over the top of them. try to get the lint covered all the way. let it cool until the wax is hard again. then cut it into single sections.

water doesn't affect it (if you covered the lint completely with wax), and it's slow burning.

so, if you need some lint to catch a spark, scrape enough of the wax off to pull a little lint out, and use whatever you have that will throw sparks to start the fire.

if you have a lighter, or other firestarting device, but need something to burn long enough to catch other tinder on fire, then light a corner of the egg carton. the lint will burn like a candle, because the wax has to melt before the flame can get to the unburnt pieces of lint. it will burn for a decent amount of time...more than enough time to get kindling to catch flame, or maybe you have some slightly damp kindling? a couple of the wax/lint starters will do you right.

of course the magnesium/flint firestarters are great. no need to explain about them.

an empty cigarette lighter that throws sparks (but won't light) is very handy. lint will catch a spark and ignite super easy. so will toilet paper if you fluff it up before hand by scraping it with a knife to pull individual fibers of paper up.

flint and a knife + lint or dry toilet paper = easy fire.

ill try to post a vid or 2 later on. i did on the og a few years back, but i forgot which video service i used..lol
You fuckin' rock!!

Can you post the fire bow video from that time period as well?

1/24/09 3:19 AM
smarmysmile

The clips are great. But what about the egg carton and wax deal? Would love to see a visual on that, too.

1/26/09 2:18 PM
27CrazyFeet
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

hand sanitizer works well in a pinch too if you have some in your pack
2/3/09 8:56 PM
DiSmAnTLeR

a magnifying glass comes in handy on a sunny day.

makes for smooth pipe hits too.
2/3/09 8:56 PM
DiSmAnTLeR

Edited: 02/03/09 8:56 PM
double post
2/6/09 12:40 PM
paw
1168 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

for laters
2/6/09 1:41 PM
27CrazyFeet
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Peixes - i was going to suggest hand sanitizer. i keep a flask of high-proof whiskey on me. it helps, too.

me too.. i love making a fire and then sitting around drinking and telling some stories :)
2/6/09 11:05 PM
armlok
71 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

look for mish metal, even better than the regular firesteels.

look it up, i'll be getting several, they're east to carry so I'll add one to everything that I have a firesteel in.

Lipbalm out of my survival/med kit helped me start a fire at 6000ft on the side of a mountain in the clouds along with cow patties.
2/11/09 11:38 AM
ClayK

lipbalm?
2/11/09 8:59 PM
FTW15th

The lint thing works perfect with anything that gets a spark.  I've done it a few times to start my fire at my house and it works great.  Mine actually burnt a lot slower than the videos did.  It does stink bad though.
2/12/09 8:33 AM
TheeSenator
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

my threads.

I used lint back in my boy scout days.
2/13/09 3:14 AM
StephenL

I used to use shavings from a pine tree. The part that's impregnated with Pitch/Sap. Then using dried pine sticks for the later stages.

It was touched on in an earlier post. "along with cow patties."

Has anyone ever used their feces for fire fuel?

stephen

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.