UnderGround Forums

S&C UnderGround >> Vertical Jump Training

1/21/09 7:38 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
DevinS
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Is your vertical jump something that's worth specifically working on, or should you just not really worry about it? I only ask because it seems like a good indicator of power, and I'm not particularly happy with mine. Pretty disappointed actually. Seen some vertical jump programs out there that focus a lot on weights and plyos, any that you guys recommend?
1/21/09 8:38 AM
Leigh
627 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i think its a good idea but no clue on which program to use :o(
1/21/09 9:11 AM
Wiggy
144 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Vertical Jump Training Bible.

By Kelly Baggett - one of the best (and, IMO, most under-rated) guys in the game.  You simply can't go wrong w/any of his stuff.  Tell him Wiggy sent you.  ;-)

Wiggy - www.workingclassfitness.com
1/21/09 11:53 AM
Leigh
627 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

cheers for the link :o)
1/22/09 12:42 AM
DevinS
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i read some of his stuff today wiggy, thanks for the link. for some reason I've become infatuated with being able to slam dunk. At 6'1.5 I need a pretty solid vertical to pull this off. Right now I can only touch the rim.
1/22/09 3:51 AM
8weeksout
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 01/22/09 3:56 AM
Assuming you have a decent base to work with...

Weeks 1-2 Max effort Squats
5-8 sets x 1-3 reps w/rest pause

Weeks 3-4 Max effort Squats
3-6 sets x 1-3 reps, coupled with
Jump Squats 3-6 sets x 3-5 reps

Weeks 5-6 Depth Jumps
2-4 sets x 8-10 reps
24-40" box

Rest 2-4 minutes between sets, 8-10 minutes between exercises

Do each workout twice a week, 3-4 days apart

You should see your vertical jump decrease an inch or two in the third and fourth week. If you don't then increase volume.

I guarantee you will gain at least 2 inches or more on your vertical jump with the most noticeable increase 1-2 weeks after you've finished the program

This is an example of what conjugate periodization is supposed to look like
1/22/09 6:26 AM
DevinS

thanks 8weeks-

could i substitute max effort squats with deadlifts? i only ask because I don't have a squat rack at my house, just a barbell.
1/22/09 7:26 AM
8weeksout

Yes you could do max effort deadlifts instead. Max effort squats would probably work a bit better but you'll still see plenty of results using the deadlift. Also keep in mind that while this might look simple it is actually an advanced program, if you're more of a beginner your vertical will go up just from developing a basic level of strength and using low level plyos.
1/22/09 7:30 AM
Leigh

brilliant, cheers. but 2 inches is the "double your vertical" i keep seeing in the ads, so this obviously isn't as good ;o)

thanks again, its refreshing to see some sound advice with realistic result claims
1/22/09 9:51 AM
T-Man

Wiggy is correct. Kelly Baggett rules... great articles on his site too.
1/22/09 3:22 PM
8weeksout

Edited: 01/22/09 3:25 PM
Well if your vertical jump is only 2 inches then this program will double your vertical jump - Guaranteed or your money back!

In all seriousness though this type of program is an advanced program and will put inches on someone's jump who has been training vertical jump for years. This is a type of program you use when other methods don't work anymore. A lower level athlete can increase vertical jump much easier with simple methods.
1/23/09 6:40 AM
krakkerz

ttt
1/23/09 7:21 AM
Leigh

could you list the simpler methods? or would you rather i posted on your site?
1/23/09 8:10 AM
Wiggy
144 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hey Leigh - go check out Kelly's site. There are a lot of good articles there.

Though not (specifically) for VJ, this article has a couple very simple routines in it:

http://www.higher-faster-sports.com/rocketscience.html
1/23/09 8:52 AM
Leigh

ok, cheers mate. his vert bible has come up highly recommended in a few other searches, too
1/23/09 5:11 PM
DevinS

jeez, do you guys think GSP really has a 40 inch vertical jump? that's higher than kobe and an inch below Allen Iverson....for some reason I just find that hard to believe. hopefully he can use these skills to jump on BJ's fat face.
1/23/09 5:36 PM
Leigh

no, i don't believe it. he would have landed the back flip if he could jump that high
1/23/09 7:39 PM
NbleSavage
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

GSP is not impressed by your performance.
1/23/09 10:50 PM
Wiggy

Meant to link the article - www.higher-faster-sports.com/rocketscience.html

And though I know most of you know this, just so that it's said - there is a big difference between having a XX-inch vertical and jumping onto a XX-inch box.

Wiggy - www.workingclassfitness.com
1/24/09 2:41 AM
DevinS

holy shit, look at the vertical on this fucker:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zizMVDaiBhU
1/24/09 2:46 AM
DevinS

here's a pretty nuts pic of kelly

http://www.higher-faster-sports.com/images/kellybdunk2.jpg
2/10/09 8:58 AM
ClayM
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 02/10/09 8:58 AM
check out t-mag.com. Charles Poliquin has good article on what is the best exercise for all athletes(its the power snatch) and also some info on increasing your vert. Otherwise just learn the power versions of Olympic Lifts is Power Clean(throw in Power Jerk as well)and Power Snatch. And Squat not half squat not quarter squat ALL the way calfs to hamstrings. If you do these three things your strength and explosive power will increase dramatically. I was member of the US Bobsled team for 4 years(yes I was on the same team as Todd Hays from Choke). Then briefly switched to Oly lifting(130kg sq snatch and 187.5 sq clean and jerk). I also had 38.5 inch vert at 255lbs For those of you who are bench press obsessed. After a 12 week Oly lifting cycle with no benching at all my trainer wanted to see how much I could bench raw(bc all the suited up powerlifter were there). I got to 495 for a single then did 225 34 times. OLYMPIC LIFTING is the key for all explosive athletes.....
2/10/09 5:21 PM
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Or maybe you naturally have fast twitch muscle.
2/11/09 1:03 AM
DevinS

damn, 38.5 inch vert is animal Clay, especially @ 255lbs . I'm doing everything you said with some plyos thrown in. Hope to gain 4-5 inches in the next few months.
2/11/09 6:16 AM
HeangKoing

ClayM, bod sled guys are animals man. Most put up very impressive Oly numbers. Do you know 'Rob' aka 'knobbers' who does bobsleigh for Canada? He also Oly's.

Jump technique also makes a big difference in a running jump. My running jump is pretty poor compared to my vertical. My vertical is about the same as my running jump.

Koing

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.