UnderGround Forums

Food & Wine Ground >> Eggplant: More than Grimmace's Purple Penis?

1/21/09 11:49 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
invalid
164 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yo, a girl I dated briefly hooked me up with this homecooked meal that blew my fucking face off, and I pretty much want to replicate it like the dickens.

It was sliced eggplant, dipped in egg, then a breadcrumb/flour mixture, fried in olive oil, then baked into a pasta dish.

I know that's pretty basic to most of you, but that's advanced cooking for my sorry ass.

Anyone have a recipe? I was going to do the eggplant in a vodka/ziti bake.

Word.
1/21/09 1:40 PM
cbgrappler
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

that sounds like eggplant parmesan , I don't have a recipe but there are plenty of good ones out there
1/24/09 4:25 PM
samichlaus
236 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 01/24/09 4:28 PM
I like these but I'm freaky for eggplant. They're Alton Brown recipes.

Eggplant Steaks

Prep Time:
20 min
Inactive Prep Time:
0 min
Cook Time:
10 min

Level:
Easy

Serves:
4 servings

1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
1/4 cup thick steak sauce
1/2 cup olive oil
2 tablespoon honey
2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
Kosher salt and fresh ground pepper
8 (1/2-inch) eggplant slices, purged with salt
1 cup grated Parmesan
3 tablespoons chopped parsley, optional

In a small bowl whisk together the Worcestershire, steak sauce, olive oil, honey, and apple cider vinegar. Season with salt and pepper.

Pat your eggplant dry with paper towels. With a pastry brush apply the sauce to both sides of the eggplant. Place eggplant rounds onto a sheet tray fitted with a rack. Place the tray under the broiler for until eggplant is nicely browned, approximately 2 minutes. Turn slices over and place back under broiler to brown the other side. Generously sprinkle freshly grated Parmesan over all of the slices. Place back under the broiler for 1 minute to nicely brown the cheese. Serve plain or sprinkle with freshly chopped herbs.

Eggplant Pasta

Prep Time:
40 min
Inactive Prep Time:
0 min
Cook Time:
10 min

Level:
Difficult

Serves:
4 servings

2 medium-large eggplants
Kosher salt, for purging
4 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon chile flakes
4 small tomatoes, seeded and chopped
1/2 cup cream
4 tablespoons basil chiffonade
1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan
Freshly ground pepper

Peel each eggplant leaving 1-inch of skin at the top and bottom unpeeled. Slice the eggplant thinly lengthwise, about 1/4-inch thick. Evenly coat each slice with the salt and purge on a sheet pan fitted with a rack for 30 minutes. Rinse with cold water and roll in paper towels to dry. Slice the pieces into thin strips to resemble pasta.

In a large saute pan heat the oil. Add the garlic and chili flakes and toast. Add the eggplant "pasta" and toss to coat. Add the tomatoes and cook for 3 minutes. Add the cream and increase heat to thicken sauce. Finally add the basil and Parmesan and toss to combine. Season with pepper, no salt needed as the eggplant will have residual salt from the purge. Serve immediately.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.