UnderGround Forums

Money, Business & Finance Ground >> procrastination - how do u deal with it?

1/23/09 10:46 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
cbgrappler
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I've been a horrible procrastinator for pretty much all my life. I've been able to get by, fooling myself that I like the pressure of waiting till the 11th hour to complete a task/project, but I've recently been promoted to a position where this type of behaviour is unacceptable.

Anyone else overcome procrastination? if so, what strategies did you use to deal with it.

or am I just a lazy fucker ... lol
1/23/09 4:07 PM
krakkerz

Edited: 01/23/09 4:10 PM
 I usually wait and see what happens. :)

Same thing happened to me last year. I'm chronic. I can't motivate myself to do anything until the dealine's right there. My boss is cool, though. She knows what the story is, so she sets short deadlines for stuff she needs from me.

For the rest, check out "Getting Things Done". It works if you really stick by the rules.

1/23/09 10:02 PM
alley
109 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Get some ADD medicine, like adderall. Use it as needed, but be careful, it's an amphetamine.
1/24/09 2:58 AM
Non N00B
55 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Im horrible about it, plus I have a pretty bad perception of time. Like I have no idea where days, weeks and months go sometimes, freaks me the fuck out, and I dont drink or do drugs!
2/4/09 3:44 PM
cbgrappler

alley - Get some ADD medicine, like adderall. Use it as needed, but be careful, it's an amphetamine.

I'm trying to stay away from the drug route right now, I'm only going to take that as a last resort.

I'm going to give GTD a try and see if that helps in the meantime ...
2/13/09 11:14 PM
CJJScout
52 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Just wait, the answer will come to you.
2/15/09 1:25 AM
FullPint

Procrastination is the byproduct of a lack of drive/purpose.
2/16/09 2:13 PM
cbgrappler

FullPint - Procrastination is the byproduct of a lack of drive/purpose.

very true, the second thing I am workin on is motivation ... I did a few tests in preperation for a leadership course ( we had to do self assessments prior to the course ) and the two things I was "lacking" were 'motivation' and 'need for success'

6/14/09 11:32 PM
worldfightfan

interesting thread here .. after doing a bunch of research we put my really smart step daughter on an ADD medicine and her grades went from D's to B's in weeks. She scores in the 99% percentile on nationalized tests but procastinates on homework, projects and forgets to turn them in. The medicines made the difference no doubt.

With that said I was wondering if I should go on them as I display many of the same behaviors.
6/16/09 2:04 AM
G-Hands
54 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

krakkerz - For the rest, check out "Getting Things Done". It works if you really stick by the rules.

I just read a business summary of that book. It looks like a great system. Good to hear that it works.
6/16/09 3:14 PM
Liyon
122 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Most of the problem isn't with the management of time/tasks itself, it's with the motivation/desire aspect of the equation.

That's the hard part.
6/19/09 2:39 PM
panic686
81 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

cbgrappler - 
alley - Get some ADD medicine, like adderall. Use it as needed, but be careful, it's an amphetamine.

I'm trying to stay away from the drug route right now, I'm only going to take that as a last resort.

I'm going to give GTD a try and see if that helps in the meantime ...

I found out I really did have ADD which helped me find cognitive and medicinal ways to help me fix my motivation problems.
6/21/09 12:41 PM
Liyon
122 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

panic686, can you explain some of the cognitive ways you went about fixing your motivational issues?
6/25/09 1:42 AM
FCFBlazer
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

adderall, you will get addicted and lose weight and all other interests.  I have quit cold turkey for about a month now.
6/25/09 2:39 PM
FullPint

Maybe your dosage was too high? I've only taken it recreationally, but I've had friends who have been on it for years who do just fine.

What do you mean by "lose... all other interests?" Do you mean you just have no motivation to do anything?
7/5/09 7:18 AM
FCFBlazer
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

maybe stop posting here as well
8/4/09 10:52 PM
cypherpunk

Killing your internet can do wonders for your productivity.
9/1/09 8:15 PM
Dan O'Connell
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ttt
9/1/09 9:21 PM
koreviewz
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 09/01/09 9:27 PM
KO-REVIEWS.COM, OWNER
 cbgrappler,

Go to my page:  http://success-and-health.blogspot.com/

At the bottom is a sign up for free ebooks.  I have a book on procrastination that I can send you for free. Just sign up and I'll send it.  Use the code "procrastination" on the free book form.

9/2/09 2:17 PM
ClayK

My procrastination stems mostly from forgetfulness. I'll know that a project is due and just forget about it, instead of putting things off. Paying bills happens the same way. An old position I held payed me once a month. I knew that on the 1st of every month I sat down and paid EVERY bill that day. I never forgot while I was on that schedule. If I don't get constant reminders of stuff ( even important things that I want to do) I forget.

The solution for me is constant reminders. Use your cell phone, sync it to outlook, and have it always reminding you to do shit. Works for me, at least.
9/4/09 11:14 PM
Dan O'Connell
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ttt
9/5/09 6:31 AM
Dan O'Connell

ttt
9/6/09 9:38 AM
Dan O'Connell

ttt
9/6/09 5:45 PM
koreviewz
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 09/06/09 5:45 PM
The IPC Program, OWNER
 If anyone still wants a free book about how to handle procrastination, just vist my blog and use the password "procrastination"

I'll send it for free, no problem.

http://success-and-health.blogspot.com/

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.