UnderGround Forums

LegalGround >> I hate rules of ethics! I hate laws too!

1/23/09 11:40 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
bflex
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm still up in a pity party about today. I've been working on signing a case this week. Guy allegedly stole over 1.5 mil. Got sentenced to 20 years. Asked me and partner to do post conviction relief work. 1 motion and an evidentiary hearing. When I heard the players involved, at first I said no. Then homeboy sweetened the pot. More money than I made all last year. Lump sum, cashiers check.

I can't take it! I had to decline representation! I am firmly convinced that funds were the proceeds of illegal activities. As a matter of fact, I don't see anyway possible that those funds are not from illegal activities.

As such, had to say no. I was actually surprised that my wife took it as well as she did. Really, I seem to be the only one really bummed about it.

Fuck rules of ethics and laws!
Free Monson!
1/24/09 8:07 PM
Fake Pie
32 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'd probably have done it.
1/25/09 11:16 AM
Xtina
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

at least you have a clean conscience (about this).
1/25/09 5:22 PM
bflex
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Fake Pie - It was very tempting. However, there are a lot of big players involved in the case. The guy was dead broke at the end of November and now has $200k cash. If something is too good to be true, it is. Also, his arguement kinda sucks. This guy has filed bar complaints against a lot of really good attorneys. So odds are that after we lost this motion, he would file one for an "excessive fee" and I would be returning money and it would open pandora's box as to where the money came from.

So I begrudgingly declined representation.
1/26/09 12:47 PM
goku

so you draw the line at theives...but guilty molesters, druggies and murderers are ok?

i see
1/27/09 7:47 PM
Skiba

wise choice, the bar complaints would make me walk too.
1/28/09 7:41 PM
pm1964
32 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sounds like the right choice to me.
2/1/09 10:35 PM
GladiatorGannon
223 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

pussy. you're slipping.
2/1/09 10:35 PM
GladiatorGannon
223 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

bflex - Fake Pie - It was very tempting. However, there are a lot of big players involved in the case. The guy was dead broke at the end of November and now has $200k cash. If something is too good to be true, it is. Also, his arguement kinda sucks. This guy has filed bar complaints against a lot of really good attorneys. So odds are that after we lost this motion, he would file one for an "excessive fee" and I would be returning money and it would open pandora's box as to where the money came from.

So I begrudgingly declined representation.

oh, you had an ulterior motive. my faith in you is restored.
2/2/09 7:06 PM
bflex

Don't make me rough you up!
2/8/09 6:01 PM
sux@bjj
38 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

How'd he "steal" $1.5 Million? Robbery or embezzlement?
2/8/09 10:12 PM
bflex

False pretenses. Different charge than robbery or embezzlement.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.