UnderGround Forums

LegalGround >> Do I have a lawsuit?

1/24/09 10:40 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Big Pete
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 01/24/09 10:42 AM

Whats your advice on this situation and do I have a case to sue them. I am in management in Florida for a fortune 100 company...UPS they put alot of pressure and basicially threaten you give a certain % of your pay to the United Way every year. Well after 9 years after they screwed me on my raise for no reason I declined numerous times. They have pre filled out sheets with your name, id number, bank account info to deduct funds. I filled it out first and returned it declining, and dated and signed it.It was returned to me via house mail with the box I choose not give at this time crossed out??? I kept the original and never returned it. So January comes and I see my first check they have deducted United Way funds from?????I never agreed to this or signed off on this and still have the original.Lawsuit anyone???Someone had to either copy the original and forge it or just submit and forge another form. This is unreal and besides the money really offends me!
1/24/09 2:28 PM
Bunkou

Yes, you have a claim. A very small one that will piss off your management and jeopardize your career.

On the other hand, you could also file a criminal complaint that someone stole from you (which they did). However, knowing the police and prosecutors in my jurisdiction and extrapolating, I'd guess the whole thing would be dismissed as an 'honest mistake.'

Oh, yeah, and Free Madoff! And Monson, too.
1/24/09 10:55 PM
Big Pete

Well what if I was not concerned about my career how much do you think I could settle for as they would not even let this get to court.
1/24/09 11:16 PM
jbapk

Big Pete - Well what if I was not concerned about my career how much do you think I could settle for as they would not even let this get to court.

Probably the amount they deducted from your check, maybe a little more.
2/3/09 1:49 AM
GladiatorGannon
278 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

my job tries to extort money from us too. i hate that. most of these guys have to work crazy overtime just to support their families, why should they be forced to give it away too?
2/3/09 7:09 AM
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Class action?
2/3/09 4:50 PM
Freqman

This stuff is bullshit. The United Way is like the charity mafia.

In my area the "efficiency" of the UW shows that about 10 cents per DOLLAR gets used for charitable purposes, with the other 90 going to administration and such.

I give plenty to charity during the year, charities that I choose for MY reasons. The workplace stuff is total BS.

I had a General Manager in my workplace that was actually on the United Way Board in our area, so when we declined we'd get two more chances to fill out the form. If not you'd get a look.

I finally went to him and explained that I did plenty of charitable giving and didn't want to even see that form brought to me in October. He shrugged and I never saw another United Way payroll form.
2/3/09 5:32 PM
GladiatorGannon
278 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

the want to use your hard earned money to make them (and their company) look good. screw them, i'm not here to pay their PR costs.
2/4/09 1:04 PM
TacFighter

Freqman - This stuff is bullshit. The United Way is like the charity mafia.

In my area the "efficiency" of the UW shows that about 10 cents per DOLLAR gets used for charitable purposes, with the other 90 going to administration and such.

I give plenty to charity during the year, charities that I choose for MY reasons. The workplace stuff is total BS.

I had a General Manager in my workplace that was actually on the United Way Board in our area, so when we declined we'd get two more chances to fill out the form. If not you'd get a look.

I finally went to him and explained that I did plenty of charitable giving and didn't want to even see that form brought to me in October. He shrugged and I never saw another United Way payroll form.

You beat me to it. About 20 years ago my company did the same thing with UW and we found the same thing. I believe 60 minutes did a show on them some time ago about this issue. This is your choice.
2/4/09 2:51 PM
seg
63 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The United Way are a bunch of shakedown artists.  I "chaired" my company's UW committee one year, and a representative from UW came and met with me.  He gave me a report which listed the prior year's contributions from my company itemized by each person in my company and how much they gave. 

I was like WTF??, that's personal information that I shouldn't be seeing.

Then he had me go down the list and compare what people were giving in the current year to what they had given in past years and see if I knew why people might have been changing the amount of their donations.  He was implying that anyone that was giving less than before should be spoken to, and anyone that wasn't giving should be encouraged to. 

I was so offended by the whole process that I've never given to United Way since.  I'll pick my own charities from now on.

Companies are just as bad.  They want their employees to give a bunch of money from their paychecks and then use that as PR for how great the company is.
2/4/09 4:25 PM
TacFighter

It doesnt suprise me anymore

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.