UnderGround Forums

MotorGround >> Truck dies off occasionally in reverse

1/24/09 11:25 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Jack Carter
324 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I have a 2006 Chevy Colorado and just a few days ago it started dying off when I'm idling in reverse. Not every time, but it only happens when I'm turning right and reversing on a slight decline (the latter could be a coincidence). I step on the gas a bit to start reversing but when I let go of the gas, the engine dies off.

It does not die off in any other gear. I do notice though that the idle does feel like it's dipping too low on occasion when I'm turning and low speeds, but usually everything is fine.
1/30/09 10:24 AM
Ponyboy
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Battery not held down?
2/3/09 11:36 AM
Jack Carter
324 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Battery is secured. It hasn't died off in reverse lately but today it died off three times in 30 minutes, all three times when I'm making a left turn. It doesn't die out when I'm parked.

I notice that it also comes close to dying off when I'm COMING to a stop, but when I do fully stop, the the idle picks back up. It just doesn't die off when I actually stop.

But why does it only die off when I'm making a left turn?
2/4/09 4:39 PM
Ponyboy
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

O2 sensor wire rubbed through on steering gear, possibly?

If your car dies, it will have a check engine light........unless a sensor pulls down the reference voltage to the point that the ecu power supply (that supplies the reference voltage) doesn't have enough power to set the code and remember it.
2/4/09 4:59 PM
moparbob
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 02/04/09 4:59 PM
 gm has a bulletin out about their vehicles having extended crank time, loss of power, engine surge or occasionally dying out due to clogged injectors. have the injectors and throttle body cleaned and make sure you get good gas. thats about all they say to do. may not fix it but its a starting point.  and not check engine light will come on with this.
2/4/09 5:14 PM
Jack Carter

Does that include all makes & models?

This weekend I'm going to clean the throttle body & the idle air control valve. I guess I'll have to take it in for a fuel injector cleaning.
2/4/09 5:18 PM
moparbob

yeah the bulletin is for pretty much every vehicle. we dont see too many that will stall but most of them will run rough or take a while to start. like i said it may not fix it but its a good starting pont. also if your truck has an egr valve the passages might be clogged. that usually sets a code though.
2/5/09 3:31 AM
Jack Carter

Oh God, I can't wait until this GM crap truck is paid off. It's only a 2006 & so many problems!

Here are the problems:

1.) Intake Manifold Leak @ less than 10,000 miles.

2.) Brake & headlights constantly going out.

3.) Passkey/Passlock theft deterrent system constantly locks the truck up for 10 minutes. I'd say it happens once out of every 5 times I try to start it up. Took it into the dealer to have them disable it or to fix it and they said they can't disable it because it is a security item & fixing it will cost me a lot of money just for them to diagnose it. And this was when it should have been covered under warranty! Imagine needing to get somewhere on time and having the truck lock up for 10 minutes.... not once, but twice in a fucking row!

4.) Rough idle to the point of dying off as stated in this thread.

I hate this truck.
2/5/09 10:47 AM
Ponyboy

All of those symptoms point to either a ground or positive side intermittence issue.

Go in and get a new battery under warranty and see if that helps.

A weak battery can cause voltage fluctuation to the point that headlights at idle look like they are surging.
2/5/09 12:27 PM
Jack Carter

I did replace the battery a few months ago. Not at dealer though
2/5/09 3:12 PM
moparbob

trade it in. the colorado and aveo are by far the worst vehicles gm makes. im surprised you havnt had to replace the head yet. i wouldnt buy an impala either. there arent a whole lot of major problems just a bunch of little annoyances. just buy a honda. i have a 94 civic with over 200k mies on the original engine and no major problems. gm qaulity is not up to par with a lot of the imports.
2/16/09 10:39 PM
Jack Carter

Cleaned the throttle body.

That did the trick. Runs like a charm.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.