UnderGround Forums

SoundGround >> best fingerpicking how-to vids?

1/25/09 1:41 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
chef kwon do
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i'm trying to learn kihoalu (slack key) and samba/bossa nova fingerpicking. i would like to learn moar. also i would like to pick up the speed. my fingers trip over themselves.
1/25/09 1:51 PM
chef kwon do
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

forgot to mention i'm into learning any style of fingerpicking
1/25/09 5:54 PM
BarkLikeADog
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 01/25/09 6:36 PM
IMO it's imperative to get an instructor to introduce you to fingerpicking, one on one. Videos can't see what you're doing wrong & correct you.
1/26/09 7:28 AM
DasBeaver
93 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

BLAD is right, an instructor will get you there way faster than any book or video.

Don't rush speed, concentrate on playing it really well slowly, speed is cheap and easy. www.fingerstyleblues.com is a good place to get some free introductory lessons.
6/1/09 1:49 PM
The Hook
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ttt
6/1/09 4:31 PM
Hillbilly
28 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The Tuck Andress vid is a good one.
6/1/09 7:07 PM
Iron Man

i tried fingerstyle on my own for years and go nowhere. it wasn't until i found a fingerstyle instructor for six months and things started to make sense. i use to watch the stephan grossman video and roy book binder with envy. now hopefully soon i will be able to play those songs.

but here are some dvds that helped...both have beginner and advanced stuff especially pete and buster.

pete huttlinger
pat kirtley
buster b jones - from the ground up series
marcel dadi
roy book binder
fred soklow
stephan grossman

for online stuff check out jamplay. they have a slack key instructor and two fingerstyle instructors - one is jim deeming.

some good songs to start fingerpicking are freight train, nine pound hammer, trombone and windy and warm.
6/2/09 6:36 PM
whaledog
74 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 06/02/09 6:39 PM
BarkLikeADog - IMO it's imperative to get an instructor to introduce you to fingerpicking, one on one. Videos can't see what you're doing wrong & correct you.

I think you can learn a lot from DVDs/videos.  I had a a total of 2 lessons that dealt with fingerpicking.  A year later I decided to pick it up using videos and made good progress.  Of course, live lessons are best.  But, don't be afraid to start with a video if you can't find a teacher right away.

Iron Man - i tried fingerstyle on my own for years and go nowhere. it wasn't until i found a fingerstyle instructor for six months and things started to make sense. i use to watch the stephan grossman video and roy book binder with envy. now hopefully soon i will be able to play those songs.

but here are some dvds that helped...both have beginner and advanced stuff especially pete and buster.

pete huttlinger
pat kirtley
buster b jones - from the ground up series
marcel dadi
roy book binder
fred soklow
stephan grossman

I actually take lessons with Fred Sokolow now, and I've seen a bit of his videos. I like his teaching style.

6/9/09 10:15 AM
Hillbilly
28 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I`ve been lucky that I`ve been able to play with guys like Roy Bookbinder, Woody Man, Paul Geremia, Kirby Kelley, Mary Flowers..

Here are a few DVD recomendations:

Duck Baker

Pat Dohahue

Mary Flowers

Woody Mann

John Miller

Lenny Breau (out of print book/cassette but EXCELLENT)

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.