UnderGround Forums

Pinoy UnderGround >> I'm coming to the Philippines. Any advice or Tips?

1/27/09 9:57 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
LoiseauElbow
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm coming over to the Philippines on March 23rd and am staying till Easter.

The only thing I'm set on doing is heading to Donsol to see the Whale Sharks.

I'd appreciate any help or tips about the best islands to stay a few days(I'm thinking Bohol), trips, any chances to visit the tribes people on Panay or Palawan etc, bars, clubs......you get the idea!

Also, consider this an offer of a free beer for any fellow MMA.TV'ers in exchange for showing me the places to go!
1/27/09 3:07 PM
khd29

Man, Mar and Apr are hot..

Aklan (?) for Ati-Atihan - may be too late for the PI version of Mardi Gras
1/27/09 9:12 PM
Quik
228 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Six Deuce Gear, Graphic Designer
 1.  Ninoy Aquino Airport is the lowest pit of hell.
2.  Avoid ice cubes in your drinks ... bottled water is a must.
3.  If you're a younger, light-skinned person, expect to be stared at if you're in the province.
4.  I spent all of my time in Mindanao, Samal Island (Davao) was amazing and we had the beach to ourself most of the time.

1/27/09 9:14 PM
PTM2020
911 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ah man. I'm there in May and will also be swimming with the whale sharks, as well as some diving in Puerto Gallero and Palawan.

I went to Ati-Atihan last time I was there and had a blast.  Definately an awesome Cultural experience, also got to Cebu for Sinulog and almost ended up married in the process LOL.

Prolly gonna check out Baguio again and will do the whole Boracay thing again as well.
but before all that I'mma kidnap El Varaco & hit up Airforce one. hehehe

1/27/09 9:14 PM
Quik
228 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

5.  Ube ice cream is AWESOME.
6.  Try lechon, buko, calamansi juice, and spicy garlic nuts while you're there

1/27/09 11:40 PM
EKPOGI
45 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

eat Burger Machine and tell me how great it is.
1/28/09 4:06 AM
LoiseauElbow

Thanks people. Good stuff. I went to Ethiopia last August and after that I dont think stared at will ever bother me again! I didnt see 1 other white person in 16 days! lol.

A few more;

Good bars in any places you can think of?

Which islands are in these photos?

I'm gonna call in a BJJ school in Manila, any recommendations?

Will I be ok to just turn up and find accomodation
on places like Bohol? I dont wanna tie myself to a schedule.
1/28/09 11:19 AM
Quik

Your Ethiopia pics were awesome! The islands in the photos are from Samal Island, Pearl Farm beach resort. Good bars are everywhere...even in the province you'll hear modern music, karaoke all the time...excellent drink prices. Try San Mig, Tanduay, and Red Horse. The people there are the friendliest I've ever encountered...you're gonna be asked constantly if you are married or have a girlfriend. Lots of matchmakers in the Philippines. Lots of girls will eye you up and down in the malls. I had to make reservations at the hotel I stayed at, but I'm sure you can find accomodation without much problem. If you do end up traveling to Mindanao, I'd try to stay away from the more dangerous areas, like Cotabato, GenSan, and Zamboanga. We met a guy who used to fight with Abu Sayaff on our trip and he told us stories about eating bugs and lizards while on the run from the Philippines military. You will have a BLAST...
1/28/09 11:40 AM
LoiseauElbow

Thanks Quick.

I've worked out I'll have 10 days to get from Cebu back to Manila after 3 days on Bohol.

Flights to Boracay are already full as its Easter weekend so I'm gonna look into people on here's suggestions. Blessing in disguise as I always like to stay off the beaten track anyway.

"We met a guy who used to fight with Abu Sayaff on our trip and he told us stories about eating bugs and lizards while on the run from the Philippines military"

I LOVE meeting people like that!
1/28/09 4:34 PM
PTM2020
911 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

if you Do make it to Borakay rent a motorcycle, ride around to some of the differnt sites.  Near the beaches there are usually vendors there selling fish and will cook it for you for very very cheap.   great eatin!
1/28/09 7:05 PM
Quik

btw, if you want me to send you a Six Deuce Philippines t-shirt for this trip, let me know and i'll get it in the mail for ya
1/29/09 4:00 AM
LoiseauElbow

Edited: 02/10/09 5:47 AM
Quik,

Are you sure?! That would be awesome.

I gave the "Combat Sambo" shirt to someone called (spellings probably wrong) Tekno Bessa who was apparently the former heavyweight champion of Ethiopia.

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewPicture&friendID=41451162&albumId=107035
1/29/09 4:23 AM
El_Varaco
271 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

but before all that I'mma kidnap El Varaco & hit up Airforce one.

AF1 FTW!

I'd appreciate any help or tips about the best islands to stay a few days(I'm thinking Bohol), trips, any chances to visit the tribes people on Panay or Palawan etc, bars, clubs......you get the idea!

bohol is always nice, expect a lot of people there if you're gonna be there during the week before Easter.

Check out the northern tribes (banaue, sagada) for something different, and find someone who can arrange you a trip to the Ifugao parts. Lots of cool shit there, like pinoy mummies. and if you smoke weed/hash sagada has some of the best that you can get anywhere in the Philippines.

don't bother going to baguio, too crowded now, suck up the additional 6-8hr road trip and get your ass to sagada.

do your shopping in makati or greenhills, if you're with a lady friend she'll love it (you'll end up carrying a lot of shit home with you though.)

Lots of BJJ/MMA/Muay Thai gyms in Manila, check out the links on the landing page of the pinoyground. Basing my recommendation on competition results, the Kamphuis-Fabricio (www.bjjphilippines.com) schools are probably your best bet.

for some gentlemanly entertainment, take a cab to Quezon Ave. (all cab drivers know this) and ask him to take you to any of the following Classmates, Lexus, and Pegasus. If you're in the south of Manila Air Force 1 will take care of that. also happy ending massages are everywhere (if you're into that) 2 of the places I mentioned above have their own inhouse massage places.

Red Horse will fuck you up, but Happy Horse will fuck you up even worse. Bars who know their shit will have this in stock for you if you want to try it.

When buying something **always** bring a local (by this I mean someone who is a native of the area your in, and not just some other filipino) and have him/her do the negotiating for you. They will always jack up the price when they see the color of your skin.

Do not ride a cab while drunk and alone.
-----
1/29/09 4:59 AM
El_Varaco
271 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

oh fuck i just noticed again that you'll be here on holy week

here are some specific holy week activities that you will remember forever.

- Crucifixions - If you want to see S&M done publicly and in a religious context, get to the town of San Pedro Cutud in Pampanga (North of Manila)

there'll be some public self flagellation done on that day too.

Amulets/Talismans recharging and *testing*- Also on Good Friday, you can visit Mt. Banahaw (South of Manila), where shamans and faith healers gather to bless their amulets and talismans.  The amulets are supposed to do different things, but the most popular ones are the ones that supposedly make you invincible.  They also do tests after blessing the amulets via bolo hacks across the torso, or via air rifles.  A lot of people swear by these amulets, famous outlaws in the 70s were rumored to have worn amulets to protect them in gunfights with the police.  While you're in Banahaw, you can also check out the neighboring mountain, Mt. Cristobal.  Local folk will tell you that while Mt. Banahaw acts as some sort of storehouse of positive energy (hence the blessing of amulets), Mt. Cristobal is the storehouse of negative energy.  I haven't been there myself, but a lof of my friends have, and they all came back with crazy stories.

www.visayas.de/Volcanoe-Map/Mount_Banahaw/mount_banahaw.html

Witches Convention - Siquijor Island, Negros. Also on Good Friday, there's an annual "convention" of witches or mangkukulam, held in Siquijor (where exactly, I'm not sure) this is the time when the witches concoct there supposedly evil potions and charms, etc.  The belief is that Good Friday is the perfect time for the witches to be out, because god is supposedly "dead" on this day and they have to take advantage of the situation.  What I would suggest is that you get there about a week early and talk to the resort owners/staff about this and they will show you where to go on Good Friday.  I forgot the name of the resort where we stayed at the first time I was there, all I remember is that it was owned by this German guy, and he showed us pictures of the witches. 

Whether it's Good Friday or not, Siquijor has an excellent beach.  better than Boracay and Palawan IMO.  The people are generally very friendly, but stay away from the witches though, they'll magically put cockroaches in your stomach and make you puke worms lol.

Holy week is generally a good time to be out and experiencing Filipino culture, lots of reenactments of the Lord's Passion, religious processions, etc.  You'll also realize that our brand of Catholicism is heavily mixed with our ancient pagan religions.

Have fun! 

1/29/09 6:02 AM
LoiseauElbow

Edited: 01/29/09 6:15 AM
El Varaco

GREAT STUFF!!!!!

I have to be back in Manila on Easter Sunday for my flight home.
1/29/09 6:15 AM
El_Varaco

I assume the Crucifixions happen on Good Friday?

yep

well everything I suggested happens on Good Friday, you can only choose one activity though, as they're quite far apart and they all happen in the afternoon.

you can visit the other places on other days though (except for the crucifixion place) they're still gonna be awesome.
2/10/09 5:44 AM
LoiseauElbow

I have my base itinery planned and internal flights booked (cheap!), done this so I make sure I see the things I want to. Any thoughts?

2 days/3 nights in Manila - 1 day Pinatubo Volcano trip

Fly to Legazpi,see Mayon Volcano. Bus to Donsol.
Donsol - Swim with Whale sharks

Fly to Cebu. Night there.

2 nights Bantayan - Island hopping
2 nights Mactan Island, 1 day Chocolate Hills and tarsiers on Bohol.

Fly to Iloilo. Night There
Bus to Concepcion Islands. Night there
2 nights on Boracay
1 night Kalibo and visit Ati tribal village

Fly to Angeles
Marcos tribal village
Good Friday crucifixions

Manila

Home
2/10/09 5:45 AM
LoiseauElbow

Its a 19 day rush but I cant wait.
2/10/09 9:32 AM
El_Varaco

Fly to Legazpi,see Mayon Volcano. Bus to Donsol.

if you're going to bicol, try dropping by Camarines Sur and go wakeboarding

http://www.camsurwatersportscomplex.com/
2/10/09 10:14 AM
LoiseauElbow

I'll try if I get enough time in the afternoon the day of swimming with the whale sharks.

El Varaco,

Great help so far. Thanks.

It looks like I'm gonna have 3 nights in Angeles, I think 2 might be enough. Do you know of any interesting small towns between there and Manila I could spend a night instead?
2/10/09 10:48 AM
El_Varaco

not exactly in between angeles and manila, as it's a little bit up north, but you can try hitting up Zambales, there's a couple of beaches there.

San fernando is okay but I can't think of anything interesting to do in san fernando.

there's subic after angeles (take the new high way SCTEX, it's about 20 minutes away from Angeles), which is nice too.
2/10/09 10:52 AM
LoiseauElbow

Yeah, Subic was my original plan but I have 3 days and a tribal village and the crucifixions to fit in and both are near Angeles.

I also want to do the 12 hour jungle survival course near Subic. That looks hilarious.
2/11/09 6:13 AM
PTM2020

Edited: 02/11/09 6:13 AM
 ^ I took a 3 hour version of that course and it WAS hilarious.   Wait until you get to the part about how to salt your food and how to wipe your ass with leaves.   Learned alot of interesting crazy shit but the best thing I took from it was HOW TO MAKE FIRE from Scratch.     It's actually an incredible accomplishment to know you can make a fire without the aid of matches or a lighter.

I'm really jealous of your itenerary.   You're set to have a great time.

2/11/09 6:37 AM
LoiseauElbow

PTM2020 -  ^ I took a 3 hour version of that course and it WAS hilarious.   Wait until you get to the part about how to salt your food and how to wipe your ass with leaves.   Learned alot of interesting crazy shit but the best thing I took from it was HOW TO MAKE FIRE from Scratch.     It's actually an incredible accomplishment to know you can make a fire without the aid of matches or a lighter.

I'm really jealous of your itenerary.   You're set to have a great time.

I'm gonna try and fit it in. 3 hours would make it a day trip from Angeles.

I've arranged a visit to an Aeta tribe on Panay too and I'm considering scrapping Bantayan and going to Siquijor instead to see the witchdoctors and sorcerers.
2/11/09 8:25 AM
El_Varaco

siquijor has better beaches than bantayan

best beaches in the country IMO

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.