UnderGround Forums

SoldierGround >> Anyone in the air guard?

1/28/09 8:33 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Seemore Butts
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I am talking to a recruiter on tuesday.  Due to financial commitments, I cannot join the regular Air Force.  The recruiter has told me there is a position open for a 3c computer operations job, paying a 20,000 sign on bonus, eligible for the gi kicker, is he full of shit?  I have always wanted to join the air force, this will allow me too, please let me know what you guys think.
1/31/09 5:45 AM
StephenL
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

can you pay off your commitment to join?

is the air guard job full time?

you know that there are full time air guard and reserve jobs.
1/31/09 10:03 AM
Seemore Butts
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

StephenL - can you pay off your commitment to join?

is the air guard job full time?

you know that there are full time air guard and reserve jobs.
I cannot pay off my commitment while I join, it is a mortgage, looking to selling my piece of it off, until then, I can pay my percentage I owe while I am away.

I don't believe the postion is full time, I would like to go to school while I am in anyway.   

I do know that there i full time jobs, if I do not continue going to school I will try and get a full time job.
3/23/09 12:47 AM
Buddhadev
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 03/23/09 12:47 AM
I've been in the ANG for about 6 years now.

He might not be full of it. There are some jobs with pretty strong incentives, but you have to think about the fine print. It's likely that half of your bonus will be after finishing Basic and then Tech School. Since you're guard you may have to possibly wait a year or more to get a school slot (or you might get lucky and get one immediately--it's possible). So you're looking at half of that bonus after about 1 - 2 years from when you sign.

The other half would be something like 3 years from when you sign. So, IOW, the money isn't upfront by any stretch of the imagination unless you're already AFSC-qualified and prior service.

And yeah AGR (full-time guardsmen) is a decent gig. My current civilian job pays me more than an AGR gig at my peon rank would yield, but in this down economy, I couldn't justify summarily ruling it out.
3/23/09 8:13 PM
Seemore Butts

Buddhadev - I've been in the ANG for about 6 years now.

He might not be full of it. There are some jobs with pretty strong incentives, but you have to think about the fine print. It's likely that half of your bonus will be after finishing Basic and then Tech School. Since you're guard you may have to possibly wait a year or more to get a school slot (or you might get lucky and get one immediately--it's possible). So you're looking at half of that bonus after about 1 - 2 years from when you sign.

The other half would be something like 3 years from when you sign. So, IOW, the money isn't upfront by any stretch of the imagination unless you're already AFSC-qualified and prior service.

And yeah AGR (full-time guardsmen) is a decent gig. My current civilian job pays me more than an AGR gig at my peon rank would yield, but in this down economy, I couldn't justify summarily ruling it out.
Thanks Budd.

I am already to sign, got a 90 on my asvab, passed MEPS, and I have decided to go 2e1x3 ground radio comm.

My bonus is 20,000, first 10 is after tech school and boot camp.  My job also qualifies for the gi bill with kicker.  I am awaiting my boot camp date, and will not be going to boot camp unless my tech school coincides with it.

I am pumped up!

3/24/09 8:12 PM
BigDaddyPerkins
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Now practice saying " Sir, Airman SeemoreButts reports as ordered" Practice saying it everytime you speak.
3/24/09 8:40 PM
Seemore Butts

BigDaddyPerkins - Now practice saying " Sir, Airman SeemoreButts reports as ordered" Practice saying it everytime you speak.

haha thanks!

I changed my job today, ground radio wasn't my first choice, the job I originally wanted happened to open up just in time!

I will going 2e1x2 airfield systems which was my original choice!!!! I am very excited, I am lucky that I hadn't signed the dotted line yet!  Hopefully the paper work will be completed by next week.
3/28/09 7:28 AM
USAF_grappler
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

2e1 isn't a bad field. take that clearance and find a good civilian job!
4/23/09 10:10 AM
honestus
37 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Congrats, I'm in the Air Guard as well and enjoy it. There are some great deployments you can get with them (as well as crappy ones).

Listen to Seemore except its "trainee"

Literally unless you are saying yes sir, no sir you have to give a proper reporting statement when speaking to anyone

Don't volunteer for shit, be quiet, and just blend in. If you stand out too much (good or bad) you are selected for some bullshit extra duty... I went in all highspeed and paid for it by being an Element leader/ Dorm Chief and had to deal with everyone's fuck ups...

If you're smart you'll learn to live out of your laundry bag, keep two perfect uniforms and NEVER wear them... Makes inspection a breeze
4/23/09 10:46 AM
Seemore Butts

Edited: 04/23/09 12:01 PM
What does a security clearance entail?

4/23/09 2:08 PM
honestus
37 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

A lot of paperwork...

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.