UnderGround Forums

Hunting & Fishing Ground >> Kayak Fishing

1/30/09 12:06 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
ChiggidyChops
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Looking to get into and was wondering if anyone else here, fishes this way and if so what advice can you offer me.

Thanks
Chops
3/2/09 3:21 PM
MikeZev
59 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i have a tandem kayak and my brother is big into striper fishing, we've gone out quyite a few times and caught jack shit. its good fun though.
3/6/09 12:06 AM
toouncoforjudo

just google kayak fishing, getting very popular in australia.
3/13/09 10:17 PM
Cha0s008
96 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I went kayak fishing a bunch of times last summer. I never caught anything big, but it was still a bunch of fun.

Getting caught in storms really sucks though.
6/28/09 4:14 AM
iraqicameltoe

Hooked on to a cuda in North Miami by Haulover Kayaking by those little islands. It dragged the kayak around, which helped locate the fish. It does suck though if you get caught in a storm
8/6/09 12:09 PM
sudog

i was wondering about a big fish dragging you around...do you just ride it out and wait for the fish to get tired?
8/6/09 12:30 PM
MachetePhil
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Funny this thread popped up today.  I just got a set of plans for a 17' kayak, and began building it just yesterday, I was sitting here taking a break from studying the plans for a second and saw this thread.  I was actually going to make a new thread about it, but was wating to get a little more into the project before I said anything (just in case it ends up being fire wood, lol)

I've always wanted a kayak, and am looking forward to doing some fishing on this thing when I get it finished, so if anyone has any kayaking, and kayak fishing experience/tips I'd love to hear them.

Oh yeah, the first video on youtube I saw in regards to kayak fishing was a guy landing a 5' Bull shark outside of Naples, Fl.  

8/15/09 3:19 PM
martinburke
193 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Has anybody ever used one of those Hobie Cats with the Mirage Drive, or a Native Watercraft with the Power Pedal?

I like the idea of it, but the main reason I'd use a puddler is to access the shallow ponds in the interior marsh. Those ponds can be only 6-8 inches deep in spots, and I'm curious how much draft those pedal systems draw.
8/17/09 7:49 PM
Nickman9000
107 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I was thinking about getting a float tube like these guys:

8/19/09 1:08 PM
MetaDevil
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

sudog - i was wondering about a big fish dragging you around...do you just ride it out and wait for the fish to get tired?

Last spring, I read in a Maui fishing magazine about a guy fishing from his sea kayak and he hooked into a striped marlin (I really wish I could find a link because my numbers, while close, aren't 100%). Luckily, he had a radio and contacted his buddy on a boat to follow him for safety. He spent the next 6 hours being dragged 7 miles out to sea. Finally, the fish bull-dogged and the line went taut. He called his buddy who said that the fish was probably dead and that he'd have to hand-line the fish in from 300 feet down. He eventually boated the dead ~180lb marlin.
3/31/10 3:26 AM
Byrd

www.kayaksportfishing.com
www.bigwatersedge.com
www.oceankayak.com
4/23/10 7:49 PM
Andymac86

www.akff.net is another good one

gotta say it is so easy to catch fish from a yak ...since i got my yak ive been on about 10 trips and caght legal fish on like 8 of them

its like cheating!
5/21/10 8:01 AM
Kumite4

I had one for a few years, I loved it. I had it all customed out to hold rods and tackle. Lots of good ideas floating around out there on how to tweet it, but fish out of it for a season before you do anything really permanent to the boat. That way you will be better in tune with how you want it.
5/23/10 5:39 AM
gatorgar
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I have an Ocean Kayak Prowler Trident 13 that I fish out of. Got into kayak fishing about 2 or 3 years ago and love it. Nice way to get around on the smaller rivers I have close to me, and as an added bonus, I am pretty close to Lake Guntersville, and it's nice to fish the grass mats there where the big boats can't get to. I am about to pull the trigger on a second boat, a Malibu X Factor, so I can stand and fly fish out of it.

Another site I like is Kayakbassfishing.com if you are into freshwater fishing.
5/23/10 10:49 PM
Byrd

i love my OK prowler big game. need a blue so i can put a pic up.
3/19/11 4:50 AM
Byrd

Photobucket
11/6/11 4:05 PM
Hessian
67 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MetaDevil - 
sudog - i was wondering about a big fish dragging you around...do you just ride it out and wait for the fish to get tired?

Last spring, I read in a Maui fishing magazine about a guy fishing from his sea kayak and he hooked into a striped marlin (I really wish I could find a link because my numbers, while close, aren't 100%). Luckily, he had a radio and contacted his buddy on a boat to follow him for safety. He spent the next 6 hours being dragged 7 miles out to sea. Finally, the fish bull-dogged and the line went taut. He called his buddy who said that the fish was probably dead and that he'd have to hand-line the fish in from 300 feet down. He eventually boated the dead ~180lb marlin.

I have gotten twenty pound fish that have towed my ass around. I always take two 36 mile walkie talkies with me when I go out. They also have weather warnings and such on them. One on a channel that a buddy has on at work and one scanning.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.