UnderGround Forums

BookGround >> Genghis: Birth of an Empire

1/30/09 8:02 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
MrColdCock
47 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

By Conn Iggulden. Anyone read it? Also known as Wolf on the Plains. It's the first part of a trilogy.

any fans of historical fiction should check it out. It's pretty cool.
1/31/09 7:08 PM
BaldTony
262 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Loved that book. The series is a bit strange, as it's hard to paint Ghengis as a hero. But it's still a good read.
2/1/09 12:38 PM
JayRob
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I've read the first one, and enjoyed it, but stopped there.

I've read his four book series on Caesar, that was also very good.
2/2/09 11:22 PM
rorymcd
60 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I've read it and the first sequel. Enjoyed them both. He definetly seems more heroic as a kid. Its tough to read about him killing and enslaving hunrderds of thousands of people and still find him really likable. Entertaining read.
I have no idea how accurate the history is, as I have less than a working knowledge of Mongol history.
2/3/09 12:15 PM
Lymond
47 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Gave up on him after the first book in the Caeser series. I prefer my historical fiction to put an emphasis on accuracy rather than fake drama.
2/3/09 12:52 PM
rorymcd
60 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Lymond, have you read Colleen McCulloughs First Man in Rome series? Some of the best historical fiction I've ever read.
2/3/09 1:08 PM
Lymond

Yeah, I absolutely love those books. Haven't read Antony and Cleopatra yet though.

My screenname is from my favorite historical fiction series, The Chronicles of Lymond by Dorothy Dunnett. I cannot recommend it enough to anyone who likes historical fiction. Amazingly researched and detailed. The books are pretty damn long, just a warning.
2/3/09 11:58 PM
rorymcd

Edited: 02/03/09 11:58 PM
Anthony and Cleopatra was my least favorite out of the series. The whole novel felt like she was just going through the motions. Her books are like pizza though, even when they're bad, they're still pretty good.

I'll check out The Chronicles. I like long books.
3/29/09 11:40 PM
garfner
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Conn Iggulden is disturbing. He really knows how to write a page turner but you really cant call him historical fiction because he changes history so much. It really pisses me off.

Meanwhile McCollough is not really a page turner but she is spot on with her history. She doesnt try to make her characters heroes either. Her Sulla is one of my favorite characters of all time.

Lymond I tried Dunts book about MacBeth and couldnt get through it. Is Her other stuff better or is it about the same.

As far as historical fiction Cornwell is my favorite.
3/30/09 10:16 AM
Lymond

Cornwell is great. I just read the most read in the Saxon stories.

If you didn't like King Hereafter, I don't think I'd bother with more DD. I absolutely loved that book but I had read the Lymond and Niccolo series first so I knew what I was getting into. Maybe give the first of either of those a shot just to see if they are more to your taste.
4/2/09 7:52 AM
Faxon

I'm reading Lords of the Bow right now, I LOVE mongol empire shit, and it's a real pageturner. Can't wait to read Bones of the Hills and Conn's Kublai Khan series up next.
7/2/09 4:53 PM
Radford¼

Ive just read it.

Good book. Didnt know it was in a series.

I'd thought Genghis died in Poland after getting married. Or maybe it was his son?

Apparently his genes are spread more round europe than any other human due to all the women he shagged. Not much shagging in the book. Thats what gets him killed in the end.

The bit where the guy falls out the city wall and Genghis spares him but kills everything else is true.
7/3/09 6:34 PM
BaldTony
262 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ogodai, son and heir of the Great Khan
7/3/09 6:40 PM
Faxon

I finished the series a while ago now. How fucking badass is Subodai/Tsubodai? I did some research on him. He's one of the greatest generals of all time.
9/28/09 5:16 PM
kimohapa

I'm half way through the book right now and I like it, like other have stated historically it may be questionable, but it is still a good read.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.