UnderGround Forums

BookGround >> Help me find a sci-fi book

2/2/09 1:40 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
amorphous
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I like deep space exploration kinda stuff. Referred to as "hard" or "hi-tech" science fiction. But, I also like when it's mixed with horror ala Alien or Event Horizon.

The only book I've read that came close was A Ship of Fools by Russo. It was pretty good despite it's ending which I didn't care for.
2/2/09 11:00 PM
2JupitersTooMany
1782 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 02/02/09 11:00 PM
The last two I enjoyed were "Randezvous With Rama" by Arthur C. Clarke and "The Forever War" by Joe Haldeman. The second one won the Nebula Award and was more violent.
2/3/09 1:40 AM
amorphous
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The Forever War is one of my favorites. I'll have to check out the Arthur C. Clarke book.
2/6/09 2:34 PM
Fightin_Chance
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

wow, i read "Rendezvous with Rama" a long long time ago...good book.

Foundation series also maybe?
2/14/09 2:34 PM
Seul
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I don't know if this will really fit the bill for you, but check out Ringworld.
2/14/09 8:23 PM
Fightin_Chance
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ringworld is a great book....also Integral Trees by Larry Niven
2/16/09 12:11 AM
croaker

Try the "Wreck of the River of Stars". Very well written

Also, you might want to try Verner Vinge 'Deepness' stuff.

Finally, though it's not really hard science fiction, I always recomend Ian Bank's Culture set. Wow, just wow. Especially 'Use of weapons', though I wouldn't start with that.
2/27/09 3:07 PM
deepu
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I second Iain M Banks. Player of Games is great, but I love all the culture books.
3/1/09 10:57 AM
Faxon
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wrote this on another thread, I highly recommend the Commonwealth Saga by Peter F Hamilton. Space opera at its finest.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.