UnderGround Forums

Health & Medical UnderGround >> Another cauliflower ear question

2/4/09 1:24 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Nostromo
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I know these get posted all the time but someone who has gone through this give me a suggestion.

About 3 weeks ago I banged up my ear and it hurt. Fluid pocket developed in the inner pocket. Not as huge as I see on online videos but enough that I could feel the fluid pushing around in there. So I'd say minor.

Went to sport medicine doctor who drained it and put a compression wrap on it made from that stuff you make casts out of. That lasted a whole 6 hours before falling off and the ear swelled back up.

So I did some online research, decided to give it a shot myself. Drained it great, put a spring clip thing on it to apply good pressure. Left it like that for about 2 days.

Today I took off the compression thing, seemed to look good. I put an ice wrap around it because it was still sore around the outer lobes a lot. So jump an hour later or so and the initial minor pocket of fluid is back.

Do I ignore it and hope that it does back down itself? Do I just continue to drain it every couple of days and reapply the compression?

The doctor drained it but in my opinion was pretty clueless about it in general which is why I did it myself the 2nd time.
2/4/09 5:09 PM
marcovia
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

keep draining and compressing.  works for my students and I.  keep draining until it stops filling but dont train until it stops. 

Its probably not the most scientific way to do it, but it works in my academy.
2/4/09 8:29 PM
Nostromo
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

thanks. How long do you usually let it go before redraining? Or do you just drain as soon as you see it reforming? I currently only have a small bubble but wasn't sure if I should bother draining that or let it go a day or two and see if it collects more fluid before draining.
2/5/09 3:11 AM
JasonE
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Keep draining and compressing. The longer a pocket of fluid sits there, the more ear deformation you will have. Don't wait for it to get bigger.

I had to do this a number of times, but fortunately I had a doctor that worked with college wrestlers all the time and was good at it. You can train with a compression on if you wear a good wrestling head guard and are careful about impact to that side of your head.

Jason Erickson
www.CSTMinnesota.com

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.