UnderGround Forums

MLBGround >> Tip For Fantasy Baesball...

2/6/09 5:16 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
ICTimer
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This goes triple for anyone in a dynasty league.

Matt Wieters is a catcher in the Orioles' system. He has a really good shot at winning the starting job, and is an absolute stud. He won Baseball America's Minor League Player of the Year award last year, with a .355 BA/.454 OBP/.600 SLG line in split time between high-A and AA last season (split almost equally, and he was better in AA, which is incredible). He hit 27 HR and had 91 RBI in the minors last year. More importantly, the Orioles' catcher job looks very open right now, and I wouldn't be shocked if he wins it out of spring training. If he doesn't get the job immediately, he will get it within 30-40 games of the start of the season at most.

I would suggest you draft Matt Wieters if you get a chance - he could be a superstar, and he could fly under the radar in some leagues. A guy who can hit at even part of the level he's performed up to so far is valuable at C considering how few good hitting catchers are in the game right now. He is considered by basically every scouting source I've seen as the best player in the minors by far, and has a clear path to make it to the Orioles this year.

Again, if you are in a dynasty league, this goes triple for you at least - imagine drafting a catcher with the offensive talent of Mike Piazza in 1993. I am not insane - there are many projections from reputable sources that put him at Piazza's level immediately.
2/20/09 11:19 AM
Tommy Gunnz
120 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

just like Alex Gordon, Phil Hughes, Homer Bailey and all the other over hyped rookies.....very few pan out their rookie year. He may be a great catcher EVENTUALLY, but chances of him coming into the league this year and playing like Mike Piazza are fucking SLIM TO NONE
2/27/09 5:39 PM
danablanco
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Catchers have the hardest time the first few years. You have to learn to call the game, handle pitchers and baserunners then hit.
2/27/09 7:58 PM
beerbelly
54 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

danablanco - Catchers have the hardest time the first few years. You have to learn to call the game, handle pitchers and baserunners then hit.

Unless your a natural, like Joe Mauer was.
3/3/09 10:05 AM
The Benefactor

Jarrod Saltalamacchia v. 2.0
3/4/09 9:45 PM
ICTimer
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Tommy Gunnz - just like Alex Gordon, Phil Hughes, Homer Bailey and all the other over hyped rookies.....very few pan out their rookie year. He may be a great catcher EVENTUALLY, but chances of him coming into the league this year and playing like Mike Piazza are fucking SLIM TO NONE

I guess I must have worded it poorly, all I am saying is that Weiters' peak numbers will be Piazza like numbers. Will they come this year? I tend to think that if he's not starting on Opening day, he will be called up pretty quickly. Catcher is such a weak position in fantasy baseball overall that if Wieters hits anywhere near the projections I've seen for him, he'll be a top five catcher this year, and better down the road. Yes, obviously he will need SOME time to adjust to the majors.

I doubt he will be an abject failure on the level of Homer Bailey (pitching prospects are MUCH more fickle than hitters anyhow). Phil Hughes is a ridiculous example because he was clearly sidelined by injury (strained oblique, cracked rib) and he was also nearsighted. Alex Gordon had a few bad months, but after June last year he was fine. To counter these cases (which are all different than Wieters), I think there was some scrub 3B that people hailed as the best prospect in the AL last year that...shock...actually panned out. Evan Long-who?

My point is that of course every year some rookies crash and burn, and some break out. I just think Wieters is good enough to break out IF he wins the starting job near the beginning of the season. I think the Orioles want to keep him and start him in the majors, but are worried about arbitration/free agency eligibility so he could jump around a bit.
3/6/09 9:07 PM
ICTimer

Cameron Maybin is also a good pick.

He's in the Marlins organization. The Marlins' OF situation is so awful that I can't see a scenario where he wouldn't make the team, and he will probably be the starting CF and near the top of the lineup. He's a pretty toolsy player, good speed, excellent defense, good contact and average power. I wouldn't go insane over him, but I've seen him slide way down auction and draft boards - I was in a ESPN auction today where I got him for $2.
3/7/09 5:31 PM
Rounder8

Edited: 03/07/09 5:32 PM
 I think that Wieters may end up being a bit overvalued actually. 

I guess it depends on the level of the fantasy league you're in.  If nobody has heard of him, then you can get him cheap, but if they have heard of him then  his value may be inflated by being on everyones rookie of the year list.  The other reason is that people in pools like to prove how smart they are by drafting the sleeper or relative unknown instead of drafting a far less risky veteran.  This could result in him being drafted as an elite catcher (which he shouldn't be yet imo).

I do agree that if you're in a keeper league that you should run, not walk to draft him.

BTW, I wish I was in a league where Cameron Maybin went for $2.  He'll be a solid under the radar player this year. imo

3/9/09 10:58 AM
ICTimer

Edited: 03/09/09 11:00 AM
Rounder8 -  I think that Wieters may end up being a bit overvalued actually. 

I guess it depends on the level of the fantasy league you're in.  If nobody has heard of him, then you can get him cheap, but if they have heard of him then  his value may be inflated by being on everyones rookie of the year list.  The other reason is that people in pools like to prove how smart they are by drafting the sleeper or relative unknown instead of drafting a far less risky veteran.  This could result in him being drafted as an elite catcher (which he shouldn't be yet imo).

I do agree that if you're in a keeper league that you should run, not walk to draft him.

BTW, I wish I was in a league where Cameron Maybin went for $2.  He'll be a solid under the radar player this year. imo

I've noticed exactly what you describe happening. It seems like half of the leagues I see he gets overrated big time, and the other half he is ridiculously underrated or even goes undrafted. I think the perfect place to look for him is if you have a relatively large number of bench spots and he slides to the point you can take him as a backup. I would hedge my bets by waiting to take, say, a Chris Iannetta at first (someone you don't have to go ridiculously high for but will be a fairly solid pick) and then take Wieters late if he slides. My concern is if you go high with a guy like McCann, they'll both end up playing well enough so that you'll want both starting at C, but neither will hit quite well enough that you'll want to plug them in as your DH/Utility player unless your other options are poor. There are enough cheap 1B/OF that probably put up comparable power/average numbers that it would make it difficult to justify having a top flight catcher and Wieters, to be honest (unless you're in a keeper league, then throw that all out the window).

Maybin has been going relatively cheap from what I've seen so far - I would put the average around $5 for what I feel is probably a $8-9 player at absolute worst, and has significant upside. I worry about the BA a little (I think he'll come in around .270 or so), but the average power along with a decent enough amount of speed to probably steal 20 bases makes him good value if you can get him cheap. He will be even better if he ends up leading off or batting second and they drop Hanley Ramirez to third like they should - his runs total will definitely go up in that case.
5/30/09 5:43 PM
Rounder8

lol

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.