2/6/09 11:20 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Mr. Malcolm
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 02/06/09 11:26 PM

UFC HAS NEW RULES FOR CUTMEN AND CORNERS
Friday, February 06, 2009 - by Damon Martin - MMAWeekly.com

StPierrePenn4154UFC94.jpg

Following a week of controversy after the Georges St. Pierre and B.J. Penn fight in which Vaseline was applied to the Canadian by one of his cornermen in between rounds, the UFC has instituted new policies regarding cut men and how the corners are allowed to enter during the breaks in between rounds for this weekend's UFC Fight Night 17 show in Tampa, Fla.

According to sources close to the situation, the UFC has now instructed that cornermen associated with the fighters will no longer be allowed to handle the Vaseline used in between rounds to treat and prevent cuts.

The UFC will now provide one cut man for each corner for the fight. Only two people are allowed to enter the Octagon between rounds so if a cut man is necessary to apply Vaseline or work on a cut, one of the other cornermen working with the fighter must exit the cage to allow the cut man to work.

This is all following the controversy surrounding St. Pierre cornerman, Phil Nurse, applying Vaseline to his fighter's face in between rounds and then moving his hands to the Canadian's chest and back to help with a breathing technique at UFC 94. Because his hands may have still had Vaseline left on them, Penn's camp was compelled to file a letter with the Nevada State Athletic Commission asking for an investigation into the matter.

Though there has been no official word from the UFC if this ruling will be instituted in other states or if Florida previously approved the matter, several MMAWeekly.com sources indicated that the new rules regarding Vaseline use have been presented as permanent.

Stay tuned to MMAWeekly.com for more on this story as it develops.

2/6/09 11:23 PM
AsDumbAsCre

awesome.
2/6/09 11:24 PM
macman1000

it's about time and i wonder how Jackson's guys are gonna do now.
2/6/09 11:24 PM
Rappy Gilmore

Good stuff -

Something came out of this mess - that's good for me -
2/6/09 11:25 PM
Mr. Malcolm

Edited: 02/06/09 11:26 PM
 Won't stop the mineral oil bathes, but glad they are being pro-active.

2/6/09 11:27 PM
JukeboxJim

Can't they just have the cutmen who apply the vaseline outside the cage prior to the fight do it rather than the fighter's corner?
2/6/09 11:28 PM
Nocturnal

Jukebox, that is exactly what is going to happen.
2/6/09 11:30 PM
JukeboxJim

My bad, I misread that.
2/6/09 11:31 PM
ZzFDKzZ

macman1000 - it's about time and i wonder how Jackson's guys are gonna do now.

There's a couple of other methods.
2/7/09 12:27 AM
Mr. Malcolm

ZzFDKzZ - 
macman1000 - it's about time and i wonder how Jackson's guys are gonna do now.

There's a couple of other methods.

True
2/7/09 12:28 AM
Card
1905 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Intellesting.
2/7/09 12:40 AM
w0rM

I wonder if Phil Nurse's "chakra massage" technique will now involve rubbing the fighter's face before rubbing the back?
2/7/09 12:55 AM
fightcity
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It's a start. There ought to be a check in the dressing room before the fight for mineral baths etc. or a wipe down with some sort of degreaser, or wipe down with degreaser between rounds.

If cheaters like GSP & Jackson hadn't pulled this crap we wouldn't need to do this.
2/7/09 1:06 AM
molsonman
57 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Vaseline should be eliminated completely. It will still get on fighters hands from punches to the face. They don't use it in Japan mma and there is no reason to use it in North America.
2/7/09 1:10 AM
SgtJustinTeplitz
205 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

nice, ttt
2/7/09 1:19 AM
Thumblock

fightcity - It's a start. There ought to be a check in the dressing room before the fight for mineral baths etc. or a wipe down with some sort of degreaser, or wipe down with degreaser between rounds.

agree. still too easy for the bathers/soakers to get away with it like others have mentioned already.

but at least zuffa is doing something
2/7/09 1:30 AM
Jons Forsberg

good, no way GSP wins another fight now. He is gonna be +1000 underdog against anybody over 145lbs.
2/7/09 1:36 AM
FrankDux

Edited: 02/07/09 1:36 AM
The only guys allowed to do this will be Don House,Leon Tabbs,Stitch Duran and Rudy Hernandez. They are all cutmen for the UFC that don't have any association with the camps.
2/7/09 1:40 AM
Hood_Jitsu

I'm glad that Dana took this seriously. Much respect to the Bald Father
2/7/09 1:54 AM
MountainMedic
530 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"Only two people are allowed to enter the Octagon between rounds so if a cut man is necessary to apply Vaseline or work on a cut, one of the other cornermen working with the fighter must exit the cage to allow the cut man to work."

that part is pretty dumb and will have adverse effects, me thinks.

but i don't know shit
2/7/09 2:06 AM
Steve4192
213 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MountainMedic - "Only two people are allowed to enter the Octagon between rounds so if a cut man is necessary to apply Vaseline or work on a cut, one of the other cornermen working with the fighter must exit the cage to allow the cut man to work."

that part is pretty dumb and will have adverse effects, me thinks.

How many guys do you need?

One guy for instructions/motivation and one guy for cuts/vaseline or massage if the cutman is not needed.
2/7/09 2:17 AM
FightWatcher
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

molsonman - Vaseline should be eliminated completely. It will still get on fighters hands from punches to the face. They don't use it in Japan mma and there is no reason to use it in North America.
Actually, the vaseline helps stop cuts. It's for the fighter's protection.

2/7/09 2:31 AM
Bunnymonster

LOL @ thinking this will actually stop the known greasers from doing it...

Honestly I think the real solution is to allow tights/leggings for the guard players...
2/7/09 2:36 AM
lionsoul

Good first start...

Hopefully something good can come out of this mess... and that they clean up the regulations to make sure this stuff can't happen again.
2/7/09 5:28 AM
GNPfan
44 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

They should allow 2 corner men and the cut man in the cage every round. Fighters should have vaseline applied to their face every round otherwise we are going to see many fights stopped by cuts. Right direction but, wrong amount of people allowed, IMO!

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.