UnderGround Forums

Food & Wine Ground >> Food Vacations?

2/7/09 2:40 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Mullet @ Heart
50 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ever thought of taking a vacation based on places you'd like to eat?

Like a trip to the northeast to get original buffalo wings from Anchor, and try some New Haven pizza?

Or a tour a famous BBQ places in the south?

What trips would you take, and what places would you hit?
2/7/09 9:38 AM
Tys
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Cuba for some delicious chicken, pork, black beans and rice, cabbage, Cristal, Pina Coladas, and Mojitos!

That place is the shit.
2/9/09 1:12 PM
GaryG
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Lots of ideas:

1. Maine for the lobster and the ocean.
2. California wine country. If I ever win the lottery French Laundry here I come.
3. Italy and France for the food and wine. I have no doubt I could spend the rest of my life traveling to both Italy and France and never taste all the different regions and styles of food and wine.
4. Montreal; french food and the women.
5. Patagonia for the beef and the wilderness
2/13/09 11:39 AM
MetaDevil
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Luckily, over the last couple of years, I've been lucky enough to travel quite extensively for work. Plus, with the healthy per diem, I've been able to eat at some really great local places all over the place. From the original Arthur Bryants in KC, MO to the Double Muskie Inn in Girdwood, AK. I've lived in the northeast for most of my life so I've been out and about to most of the hot shit places in NYC, Boston, and Providence. However, asking locals for the best place to eat in some out of the way town has backfired before ("Well, we got a Applebee's out by the Wal-mart, and the dog-track has a pretty good buffet") and some really shitty restuarants.

I haven't spent enough time in NC to appreciate NC BBQ, but I'm heading to Charlotte next month for a golf outing (any suggestions on the best BBQ places in or around Charlotte?).
2/13/09 3:41 PM
alxholic
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

my favorite travel channel shows are all food related.
2/18/09 5:24 PM
MikeZev
50 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

my fam and I are trying to put together a trip to Sicily that is half food motivated. There are programs there that give farmers money to use thier property for tourists. i havent gotten a lot of info on it but basically it sounds like you chill and eat on farms of varying sorts and the gov subsidizes the operation.
3/6/09 2:55 AM
Xtina
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

they have whole food-oriented tours now.  oaxaca, tuscany, rural france, etc.  i will go on all of these someday. 

someday...
3/6/09 4:37 AM
junon
35 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Portland, Maine.

for Gritty's Pizza.
3/6/09 12:34 PM
GaryG
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Xtina -  they have whole food-oriented tours now.  oaxaca, tuscany, rural france, etc.  i will go on all of these someday. 

someday...

http://www.dolcetours.com/ Food, wine, hiking or biking depending on which tour you choose. I've spent many enjoyable moments evaluating each one. Someday indeed.
3/7/09 1:39 AM
Mullet @ Heart

I totally need to include Peter Luger on my trip.
3/30/09 7:35 PM
Basz
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I was going to Argentina last monthand had to cancel :(

Greatest steak and desserts.
3/31/09 7:40 AM
Pito Chueco
43 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Not quite a whole vacation based on food, but I am going to Zihuatanejo MX in November and will be going to a half day class on some local food preparations.

http://www.patiomexica.com/CookingSchool.html
3/31/09 9:40 AM
MikeZev

Mullet @ Heart - I totally need to include Peter Luger on my trip.

thanks for reminding me, i havent been there in ages. maybe i'll have my friends take me for my 30th in may.

i feel guilty not being there more, its only 30 minutes from me.
4/3/09 7:54 AM
GaryG

MikeZev - 
Mullet @ Heart - I totally need to include Peter Luger on my trip.

thanks for reminding me, i havent been there in ages. maybe i'll have my friends take me for my 30th in may.

i feel guilty not being there more, its only 30 minutes from me.

Take pic's and create a thread. I've heard alot about Luger's but never been. Pic's of hot waitress if applicable should also be included.
4/3/09 10:58 AM
MikeZev

LOL @ hot waitresses in Luger's. The youngest server there is about 40 and they are all male. most are in thier 60's and are mean as piss.
4/14/09 12:29 PM
GaryG

MikeZev - LOL @ hot waitresses in Luger's. The youngest server there is about 40 and they are all male. most are in thier 60's and are mean as piss.

Thats soooo hot!

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.