UnderGround Forums

BookGround >> 2666?

2/7/09 2:06 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
MikeD
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Anyone read this? Opinions?

I don't know anything about it other than it won a ton of book of the year awards is almost 1,000 pages, IIRC.

Worth reading?
2/15/09 1:29 AM
ICTimer
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I would say yes, absolutely, but I guess it depends on what you like to an extent.

Bolano does a wonderful job of weaving stories into stories - his ability to tell a story makes it so that all of the smaller parts of the larger plot of the book, the detailed descriptions of events and characters that really aren't central to the "main plot", seem extremely important and are a joy to read. I like the long paragraph style, but if you are accustomed to more frequent breaks, you probably won't love the style itself. Most of the characters are fascinating in some way - only a few fall flat, and for a huge book like this with so many different characters, that's an incredible feat. The fourth "book" (Bolano originally wanted 2666 distributed in a series of five separate books, but a decision was made to present the work in one volume after his death) is the one most talked about in reviews that I've seen, and for good reason - it is both brilliant and incredibly disturbing. It covers the "fictional" city of Santa Teresa, Mexico, and a series of hundreds of brutal murders of women in the city (I say "fictional" because it is clearly based on the very real city of Ciudad de Juarez, where a similar string of murders of women has gone on for the past ten years). I honestly think the book is worth it for that part alone, but it is definitely graphic, so be forewarned.

The book as a whole is fantastic, and the only criticism that I have seen is that people feel it is unresolved or incomplete - which I disagree with, but I can see the logic behind the thought. The fact of the matter is that 2666 wasn't actually "finished" when Bolano died - this was merely his first draft. Still, I find myself hard pressed to come up with any suggestions as to what he could add to improve the work, it really is as good as the reviews I've seen. It is definitely a dark book though - there is clearly a focus on death at times throughout the book, but I would never call it boring or repetitive because of that.
2/15/09 3:03 PM
MikeD
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thanks for the spolier-less thoughts. I'll probably pick it once I finish my remaining books.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.