UnderGround Forums

Weapons UnderGround >> Solo weapons training

2/9/09 9:34 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
HULC
46 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Is it possible to become proficient at using a weapon, even to a basic level, on ones own? I've heard of solo training drills such as the one archone posted on here some years ago, which have to individual doing hundreds of reptitions of strikes in order to get skilled in the movements. But then others commented that if you're using poor technique then all you will be doing is ingraining them into your muscle memory.

Any thoughts?
2/12/09 7:53 AM
Steven Lefebvre
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hello,

Yes it is possible to become proficient via solo training. It is not easy and there is no way to ensure that your skill level will be ready for conflict without a real live training partner, coach or teacher.

Solo training should be a large portion of your training as you the individual become proficient with a system or material, then begin to internalize and integrate it into your own body type or responses.

Beyond just technique, there are a host of other things that may be honed in solo training time:

General Physical conditioning
Sport Specific training
Research
Note taking
Reflex drilling
etc, etc.

Gumagalang
Guro Steve L.

www.Bujinkandojo.net
2/12/09 1:06 PM
HULC
46 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

As far as GPP/conditioning goes, then i already have that covered. As for the rest, the reason i'm asking is because my shedule is already too busy for me to fit any weapons training classes into it. Which leaves me with the option of doing solo drills or simply not bothering at all, and just waiting til a later date when i may have more free time to look for a class nearby.

Regards.
2/19/09 7:53 AM
Steven Lefebvre

Hello Again,

Ah yes the busy schedule syndrome! Trust me I know where you coming from and still fit solo training time as well as regular class time into my schedule. What specifically are you locking for? SPP drills, what type of weapon skills to develop? etc etc. Feel free to email me at anytime to answer more of your question. Airyu@hotmail.com

Gumagalang
Guro Steve L.

www.Bujinkandojo.net
www.Sayoc.com
5/31/09 1:52 PM
HULC

Apologies i missed this reply. I already train unarmed combat with boxing and less regularly with wrestling practice. Specifically i was looking to become proficient in using simple every day weapons - like knives or batons - for self defence scenarios.

My schedule changes quite a lot (i work shifts) which means that solo drills can be worked around that in a way it's difficult to do with classes.

Regards
5/31/09 4:22 PM
Steven Lefebvre

Hi HULC,

Yes you still can become proficient. It will take an extreme amount of dedication on an individuals part, but it is possible.

The best method would be a pairing of Solo and one on one training with an actual partner or teacher. Email me you questions at Airyu@hotmail.com

Gumagalang
Guro Steve L.

www.Bujinkandojo.net
11/5/09 5:36 PM
Badmonkey

When I took a seminar with Ray Floro I asked him what solo drills he recommended with the knife: he told me that being able to deliver a non-telegraphed strike is very important and I should practice slowly extending my arm to a strike from my ready stance to a target/strike while making sure that my shoulder was the last thing that moved.

I was surprised at how simple his advice was, but it made perfect sense as he had just finished tagging the shit out of everyone at the seminar during our sparring sessions and was far from an elite physical specimen.

Practicing this a few times a week for 15-20 minutes and keeping his drill in mind while sparring has improved my game a great deal.
11/7/09 10:45 AM
WidespreadPanic

Edited: 11/07/09 10:45 AM
Badmonkey - When I took a seminar with Ray Floro I asked him what solo drills he recommended with the knife: he told me that being able to deliver a non-telegraphed strike is very important and I should practice slowly extending my arm to a strike from my ready stance to a target/strike while making sure that my shoulder was the last thing that moved.

One key is you want to deprive the opponent of depth perception cues. An object coming straight down the pipe in the visual field lacks the stereo-optic measure needed to judge speed and distance.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.