UnderGround Forums

PetGround >> Lifespan of different snakes?

2/9/09 4:49 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
U4EA
137 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Howdy,

I am hoping some experienced herpers out there might be able to help me with this.

I am considering getting a snake in the near future. Nothing big, fancy or venomous, probably just a milk, king, corn, rat or smaller python. Having had previous experience with smaller herps in the past, I am aiming to adopt an older animal and set it up with an awesome enclosure. I was actually considering getting a monitor or tegu but I will give it a miss as I don't want to have to look after it every single day.

My question is... how long do you expect species like the ones I mentioned to live for in captivity? I seem to hear anything from 10 years to 20 years for rats/corns/kings and 30-40 years for Royals.

Does anyone have any wisdom they could offer me? Longevity is a factor because - as much as I like royals etc - I don't want to be tied to the animal for 40 years.
3/26/09 12:15 PM
Porkchop74
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Most likely when referring to Royals he is speaking of Ball Pythons.
3/26/09 3:15 PM
U4EA
137 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sorry, yeah, ball pythons.

I think I will wait a while before I get a snake now though.
3/30/09 1:59 AM
Spankenstyne
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Depends what you want, something lively and interactive that you'll see a lot? Go with something Pituophis (Bullsnakes, Gophersnakes, Pinesnakes). If you want something more colourful that hides a lot but will be active when handled go with Milks, Kings. Ratsnakes are somewhere in the middle of those two groups.
Everything mentioned you're looking at 10/15-20 years. You have to decide what colours/patterns you prefer, what size you ideally want and if you care if you see it a lot in it's enclosure.
4/5/09 4:17 AM
Monroe
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

My ball pythons are out doing stuff almost every night but I guess most people don't see it unless you're on night shift and used to being up in the middle of the night like I am. But I agree they're not for everyone. I'd like to hear the rest of the story about the snake that got into your bed!
4/8/09 1:23 PM
BIG IRISH
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I love my ball python! He active most of the time...
4/16/09 10:42 PM
wrestlerguy04
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Monroe - I'd like to hear the rest of the story about the snake that got into your bed!

+1

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.